What's new
What's new

New Starrett cardboard boxes for old tools?

gwilley

Plastic
I have several Starrett tools that I have acquired or bought second hand. Some of these the original cardboard boxes are absolutely beat, yet the tools are completely serviceable. I would really like if I could source some gently used or preferably new boxes. Is is possible to get replacement boxes for old or used tools?

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I have several Starrett tools that I have acquired or bought second hand. Some of these the original cardboard boxes are absolutely beat, yet the tools are completely serviceable. I would really like if I could source some gently used or preferably new boxes. Is is possible to get replacement boxes for old or used tools?

I am right down the street from them. I know they have some pretty recognizable boxes that have not changed over the years. They have stacks and stacks of them on hand at any given moment.

Get in touch with the office @ the Athol MA location. I am sure they will help out.

stevewatr

Stainless
Dan, totally off topic, but do they still have the giant chair in Gardner? It's been ages (decades) since I've been out that way, I need to visit Starrett some time...
Yes, its still there, and I think I remember reading a few years ago that Guinness was going to put it in the record books.

Steve.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using Tapatalk

EPAIII

Diamond
I hope you post the results of any request to Starrett for those boxes. Such boxes could possibly be used in a scam to sell imitation tools and Starrett may not want any part of it. So let us know what happens here.

DanASM

Hot Rolled
Dan, totally off topic, but do they still have the giant chair in Gardner? It's been ages (decades) since I've been out that way, I need to visit Starrett some time...

They have 2 chairs in Gardner. One in front of an Elementary school that is seen the most. Another on the south east side of town in front of the actual furniture factory that made them.

I remember them being so cool when I was a kid. I never climbed up on one, they always looked so big as kids.

boslab

Titanium
I emailed then enquiring about buying a wall chart when mine disappeared ( I’m not joking) they were kind enough too send me a new one free, I really use that thing a lot, they seem very helpful over here, the factory is in Scotland.
They may be more inclined to send a box if you email a photo of the tool imho
They do make wonderful tools, I’ve been waiting till the weather gets a bit more kind before venturing to the shop much, need a new roof, walls, door, contents (mostly)
Mark

CITIZEN F16

Titanium
I hope you post the results of any request to Starrett for those boxes. Such boxes could possibly be used in a scam to sell imitation tools and Starrett may not want any part of it. So let us know what happens here.

Why wouldn't they just copy the box design also?

gwilley

Plastic
Thanks for the input everyone. I knew when I posted this I needed to contact Starrett, it is the only way I will get what I'm after. I had heard before that they were not the most amicable to deal with, so it is hopeful to hear the contrary. I have found that I have better luck when I reach out via phone or through mail. It is as you are treated more serious because you put more thought and effort into contacting someone than to send an email.

Last edited:

DanASM

Hot Rolled
Thanks, for the input everyone. I knew when I posted this I needed to contact Starrett, it is the only way I will get what I'm after. I had heard before that they were not the most amicable to deal with, so it is hopeful to hear the contrary. I have found that I have better luck when I reach out via phone or through mail. It is as you are treated more serious because you put more thought and effort into contacting someone than to send an email.

Just call the main office and be polite. It sucks to catch people on a bad day or at the wrong time. We have all been there.

Hopefully you have good luck. They tend to be in by 730-8 am EST.

EPAIII

Diamond
If you mean the scammers, they probably do. But I was talking about Starrett. Starrett may be a bit suspicious.

But don't let me stop you from trying. I probably would too. By all means, make the phone call.

Side story: I had a friend who bought and sold collectable toys. He educated me about the value of the original box. Showed me a couple of dolls he had, but they did not come with the boxes. He was actively searching the web for the correct boxes for them as that would have increased their value around ten times. Original boxes can be quite valuable.

I don't know if that applies here because the printing on a box often has the printer's logo and date printed. A tool from the 1950s with a box from 2010 may be an obvious mismatch.

Why wouldn't they just copy the box design also?

Mr.M

Cast Iron
I have a 3 cardboard Starrett boxes Gwilley that had blade mics in them. I would send them to you for the cost of shipping if Starrett cannot hook you up