What's new
What's new

New to 5 Axis CAM Recommned?

I had a quote back in 2006 and it was $50K. No idea what the cost of NX is. I didn't see any advantage over WorkNC so we didn't move on it. Probably a whole different story these days if I was to compare again, but we've headed down a different path.

full 5 axis package is close to 40k. same with NX
Yea, but with NX... you are also getting the world's best CAD system.

You can Ford v. Chevy who makes the best CAM system, but I've got over a decade of SolidWorks behind me, plus lots of seat time on Fusion, Inventor, AutoCAD, OnShape, even a little Creo... NX CAD nukes them from orbit in so very many many ways. The learning curve is brutal because it just shotguns so many little options at you that it can seem almost abusive at first, but once you mind meld with NX? Going back to anything else feels like stepping into cartoon land.

NX CAM is very good and absolutely in the front seat of the class along with Esprit and Hypermill. Every CAM system has it's warts and frustrations; if you think I can be an argumentative son-of-a-bitch on here, you can see me lay into the Siemens CAM team on a regular basis ("My seat of CAD/CAM costs more than my new fucking Audi, yet the toy software from Autodesk they give away is better at X, Y, Z and your company is run by Fortune 100 management bozos!" is almost a direct quote). This has led to some really productive discussions with the product managers over there who really are pushing things like any good development team, and I see nothing but improvements and advancements on the horizon.

Having said that, NX CAM is always going to be ahed of everyone else for the simple reason that it is bonded directly to NX CAD. The basis of any good toolpath is good geometry, and not only does NX produce geometry quality that is unparalleled, but the tool set you have to create, manipulate, and reconstruct that geometry is just bonkers amazing.

Last edited:

You can Ford v. Chevy who makes the best CAM system, but I've got over a decade of SolidWorks behind me, plus lots of seat time on Fusion, Inventor, AutoCAD, OnShape, even a little Creo... NX CAD nukes them from orbit in so very many many ways. The learning curve is brutal because it just shotguns so many little options at you that it can seem almost abusive at first, but once you mind meld with NX? Going back to anything else feels like stepping into cartoon land.

NX CAM is very good and absolutely in the front seat of the class along with Esprit and Hypermill. Every CAM system has it's warts and frustrations; if you think I can be an argumentative son-of-a-bitch on here, you can see me lay into the Siemens CAM team on a regular basis ("My seat of CAD/CAM costs more than my new fucking Audi, yet the toy software from Autodesk they give away is better at X, Y, Z and your company is run by Fortune 100 management bozos!" is almost a direct quote). This has led to some really productive discussions with the product managers over there who really are pushing things like any good development team, and I see nothing but improvements and advancements on the horizon.

Having said that, NX CAM is always going to be ahed of everyone else for the simple reason that it is bonded directly to NX CAD. The basis of any good toolpath is good geometry, and not only does NX produce geometry quality that is unparalleled, but the tool set you have to create, manipulate, and reconstruct that geometry is just bonkers amazing.
agreed 99%
the learning curve for me wasnt that bad though.

Isn't that price point for full cad with advanced assemblies and drafting?
I think NX cam-only packages are much less, so that even pits MC against NX lol.
yes, of course this is with CAD. it wont have some of the advanced surface modeling, convergent modeling and stuff like that - but otherwise full fledged CAD.

MC is NOT cheap. i have a quote somewhere for full 5 axis MC that was 36k.

Just going to throw this out there. CAMWorks full 5 axis seat including SolidWorks Standard license is $23k.

CAMWorks does things a little different, they have packages, the 5th axis package also includes

Turning
Sub Spindle
Two Turret Support
Rotary Milling
Mill-Turn including Synchronized Machining

It also includes CAMWorks Virtual Machine, and from my understanding is suppose to be similar to CAMplete (I believe the included in the bundle verifies off C/L data, but there is an option to upgrade to a "True G Code" option)

I won't personally recommend the 5 Axis, I can't say how good (or bad) it is, I have never used it. I only have full 4th axis capabilities with my CAMWorks, which I have never had issues creating tool paths with, containment areas, utilizing tool holder clearances and verifying is very user friendly.

I'm going to continue being Mr. Negativity and continue saying that the new sketcher can eat a dick as being completely ass backwards.

yes, of course this is with CAD. it wont have some of the advanced surface modeling, convergent modeling and stuff like that - but otherwise full fledged CAD.

MC is NOT cheap. i have a quote somewhere for full 5 axis MC that was 36k.

36k seems pretty high but I haven't priced it in about 6-7 years. Does that include blade expert and/or port expert or just multiaxis?

full 5 axis package is close to 40k. same with NX
Not seen a price for a couple years, and depends on what you need but I know people that have paid quite a bit less than that to get a pretty decent set up with most the tool paths you'll need. This is UK prices though.

Back