What's new
What's new

New to me 18" CBB

grounding

Cast Iron
Bought this beauty about a month ago to accompany my 10ee. I came with all the original chucks, faceplates, steady rest, taper attachment and the original manual! Also came with a Hardinge collet chuck. I have the original motor which is out of the machine, because it was replace with a new one some time ago....

I do have some questions. There is a forward/reverse drum switch next to the start/stop switch. I'm assuming this is not original, but could someone confirm? If it is not, can someone tell me how the forward/reverse functioned? Basically looking to see how the original electrical was done?

Hoping this link to my Google Photos album will work. Click link below to access pictures.

Monarch 18” CBB Lathe - Google Photos

I cant really answer your question as to what was original on these lathes, but I also have an 18"CBB and mine also has a forward/reverse drum switch as well.

Jeff

I checked what manuals I could find for your lathe, and those like it. Couldn't find anything on the electrical switches, or user operation.

My lathe is different from yours, in that the headstock looks different. But its base design is actually quite similar to yours in how they did things with the gear box itself, the clutch etc. Though my manual does not give details in operation, both my machine and the manual show forward and reverse:

491.jpg

I checked what manuals I could find for your lathe, and those like it. Couldn't find anything on the electrical switches, or user operation.

My lathe is different from yours, in that the headstock looks different. But its base design is actually quite similar to yours in how they did things with the gear box itself, the clutch etc. Though my manual does not give details in operation, both my machine and the manual show forward and reverse:

View attachment 341096

Thank you sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 341096

Hey, how many gallons of oil for the headstock?

Hey, how many gallons of oil for the headstock?
I don't see an exact number for yours.

In this 1947 Model C manual, it recommends SAE 30, which would be DTE Heavy. I would think DTE Heavy or DTE Heavy/medium which is SAE 20. You're in the north, might be subject to colder environment, so I might go with DTE heavy/medium there.

Page 5:
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Installation, Operation & Parts Manual-1947 Model 16C | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17622.pdf

Mine is a 16" with 18.5" swing, but different shape to headstock housing, it calls for 5 gallons:

496.jpg

Great machine, I have two that pretty much look like yours.
Both have forward/reversing drum switches. Although nicely done, neither of them look factory installed.
On how the drum switch works, there's tons of wiring diagrams online. Basically all 3-phase motors can run forward or reverse depending on how there wired.
The rotary switch simply changes the phase cycle, example if the 3 hot legs of 3 phase are running your motor clockwise and leg 1 is attached to terminal A, leg 2 to terminal B and leg 3 to terminal C. Then changing leg 1 to terminal B and leg 2 to terminal A and leaving 3 unchanged will reverse the rotation of your motor.
That said be very careful and never work anything that is electrically hot(power on)
On the lube mine hold about 3 gallons more or less of oil.

I don't see an exact number for yours.

In this 1947 Model C manual, it recommends SAE 30, which would be DTE Heavy. I would think DTE Heavy or DTE Heavy/medium which is SAE 20. You're in the north, might be subject to colder environment, so I might go with DTE heavy/medium there.

Page 5:
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Installation, Operation & Parts Manual-1947 Model 16C | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17622.pdf

Mine is a 16" with 18.5" swing, but different shape to headstock housing, it calls for 5 gallons:

View attachment 341166

Thanks

Great machine, I have two that pretty much look like yours.
Both have forward/reversing drum switches. Although nicely done, neither of them look factory installed.
On how the drum switch works, there's tons of wiring diagrams online. Basically all 3-phase motors can run forward or reverse depending on how there wired.
The rotary switch simply changes the phase cycle, example if the 3 hot legs of 3 phase are running your motor clockwise and leg 1 is attached to terminal A, leg 2 to terminal B and leg 3 to terminal C. Then changing leg 1 to terminal B and leg 2 to terminal A and leaving 3 unchanged will reverse the rotation of your motor.
That said be very careful and never work anything that is electrically hot(power on)
On the lube mine hold about 3 gallons more or less of oil.

Thank you

So I removed the compound and crossslide, to clean and such and found these. Some very substantial grooves in both the crossslide and saddle. Couple questions. What the hell could have caused this and do in need to be concerned? Can I put it back together after a proper cleaning?

6954731c660fe1415440c845c7b6f822.jpg

318c1c14515ebdb8c32dcd1585025240.jpg

04718231808ee9f473137a88804ec8d9.jpg

Short answers. Yes you can clean, lube, get the lube system cleared out and working, tighten and adjust things for best performance and then use it.

You could also scrape it in for better contact, better bearing surface, and greater accuracy.

In fact I'll be addressing my surfaces shortly somewhere after here:
Monarch Series 61, Rebuilding for Improvement

I'm not entirely sure the 18 CBB uses the exact same lube system, but presuming it does, then this other thread by Mike may help. It covers various lube issues, but in detail it also covers the apron, saddle cross slide problems:
Modifying Monarchs problematic oiling system.

I've made the decision to gut bijur fitting in that lube system, and divorce the saddle and cross slide from using oil feed from apron. Some details starting here I believe:
Getting a Monarch Series 61 Back in Service

And will use a one shot to lube saddle and cross slide, with some details here:

Short answers. Yes you can clean, lube, get the lube system cleared out and working, tighten and adjust things for best performance and then use it.

You could also scrape it in for better contact, better bearing surface, and greater accuracy.

In fact I'll be addressing my surfaces shortly somewhere after here:
Monarch Series 61, Rebuilding for Improvement

I'm not entirely sure the 18 CBB uses the exact same lube system, but presuming it does, then this other thread by Mike may help. It covers various lube issues, but in detail it also covers the apron, saddle cross slide problems:

I've made the decision to gut bijur fitting in that lube system, and divorce the saddle and cross slide from using oil feed from apron. Some details starting here I believe:
Getting a Monarch Series 61 Back in Service

And will use a one shot to lube saddle and cross slide, with some details here:

Damn, a ton there. Thanks man

Contacting in the center of cross slide is not good either. It should be close, maybe .003", but not actually riding on the center. I circled it here:

503.jpg

At a minumum I'd scrape or mill that out a couple thou.

More reading if you like, pretty much all of page 6 of this thread covers it:

Another New Toy

Contacting in the center of cross slide is not good either. It should be close, maybe .003", but not actually riding on the center. I circled it here:

View attachment 341356

At a minumum I'd scrape or mill that out a couple thou.

More reading if you like, pretty much all of page 6 of this thread covers it:

Another New Toy

I think most of this is because the flat plate (the chip guard) was rusted and wedged under the crossslide.

I think most of this is because the flat plate (the chip guard) was rusted and wedged under the crossslide.

You might lay it back up on saddle to check with feeler blades. Or if you have any bluing, mark the cross slide, put it on saddle and see where the color transfers to.

If you don't have any inks or bluing on hand, get a lip stick from the wife she don't care about. Mark a real thin film on one surface, and see if it transfers to the other. If you mark the whole surface, you can check the real contact areas as well to see how well, and where you are contacting.

Back