What's new
What's new

New to me 1930 Hendey 12x30 18 speed gearhead lathe

skipd1

Cast Iron
I recently pulled the trigger and purchased a 1930 Hendey 12x30 gear head lathe. The lathe is labeled as a 12" swing, but it should handle more. It came only with a 8" 3 jaw chuck, so I need a 4 jaw, and at least one faceplate. My question is will a 10 inch 4 jaw work fine on this machine? I will probably look for a 6 jaw as well. I assume a BXA quick change tool post is the correct size. I have done an inspection and evaluation of it and it seems to be in very good condition, the headstock and gearbox are very clean and the lathe runs very quiet and smooth. The ways are a little worn around the chuck end, but that's to be expected for a machine that old. I haven't got it home yet and I will post some pictures and the serial number when that occurs.
I plan to off load it with a forklift from the trailer and I am wondering the best manner to attach slings to lift the headstock end. Is it possible to sling from a rod through the spindle or is that a poor idea?

Also I would like to get in touch with I think a member of this forum call Hendeyman if that is possible. I have read he has some more accurate prints and documentation that would be helpful when I start to disassemble and clean up.

Skipdi

Back