What's new
What's new

New to me, Elgin Lathe

Daniel H.

Plastic
Good day, I have acquired an Elgin Lathe and a W.D.Clement Lathe. I plan to use them for clock repair.
Is there a specific Model number or name that I need to reference for these lathes ?
For transport, I cut the drive belt on the Elgin Lathe from the motor to the head to seperate them due to the weight. What is the best way to replace the belt ? Not sure about taking the head apart. Might be simple but might not be.
Does someone have an available manual for this lathe ?
I believe I have an attachment available that I can cut clock gears but not sure at the moment. Pics attached
Being new to this, I an not sure of the nomenclature of the lathe or their full potential. Suggested reading and videos are always appreciated. Helpful hints and rules of best practice are also appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2445 (1).jpg
    IMG_2445 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 43
More than likely a 200 or 300 series O-Ring was used for a belt for these lathes. McMaster-Carr has them. Just have to figure out a size to use. May have to buy three or four different sizes to try out to get the right one to use.

More than likely a 200 or 300 series O-Ring was used for a belt for these lathes. McMaster-Carr has them. Just have to figure out a size to use. May have to buy three or four different sizes to try out to get the right one to use.
These are the round urethane tube or rope that you cut, melt and fuse together ?
Do you think the lathe is a 200 or 300 series or the O ring is a 200 or 300 series ?
Thanks

i was referring to the O-Ring series. And yes, the urethane O-Ring material can be used too. None of it is set in concrete on what to use.
Edit: You can get a lot of use out of a 70 durometer Nitril (Buna-N) O-Ring. I've used them on other machine tool related tools with good results.

i was referring to the O-Ring series. And yes, the urethane O-Ring material can be used too. None of it is set in concrete on what to use.
Edit: You can get a lot of use out of a 70 durometer Nitril (Buna-N) O-Ring. I've used them on other machine tool related tools with good results.
Thanks !

Back