What's new
What's new

New to me Haas TL2 issues

Gpw123

Plastic
I recently bought a 2015 Haas TL2 lathe at auction that appears to have had very little use. Unfortunately, the battery was drained . I have added a new battery kit and restored
the parameters etc from the original factory backup USB , I had some success and have the X & Z axis working after reversing the direction parameters to get it to home properly. That seemed odd that it would need changing but that part works. The machine was wired for 3phase but I now have it on single phase .
The spindle is the issue, and because I never used the machine I don't know if the problem existed before the battery died or not which is frustrating .The spindle is returning a 237 spindle following error alarm. It will work at 20 rpm and the readout rapidly flips between 19 & 20( should it be a steady 20?).
Anything over that and the spindle ramps up (1200rpm+) ,shuts off and returns the error.
It has the orient spindle option and it sometimes works but not often ( it usually ramps up to 1200rpm
and returns the 237 Alarm. I checked the encoder pulley/belt and it appears to be ok.
I'm not sure where to look next. Could it be a parameter that's set wrong or is a bad component?
Any advice is appreciated.

When you say it was wired for 3 phase and you now have it on single phase... are you using a phase converter? Your spindle won't run properly on single phase power

When you say it was wired for 3 phase and you now have it on single phase... are you using a phase converter? Your spindle won't run properly on single phase power
Thank you for the response. These lathes come from the factory designed to run on either 3 phase or single phase and are marked 3/1 phase on the nameplate.
I followed the instructions Haas has for wiring it. It uses a 90amp(?, not marked) servo amplifier with a power supply for the spindle.
I am learning as I go ,but this is what I have determined so far...

I have zero experience with the next generation control, or restoring it from a battery failure. Did you restore all the factory parameters and settings? Does it have some rebuild tool on the USB to allow you to do that as the end user? I'm wondering if there are things that didn't get restored because it's not in some protected service mode that Haas designed into it.

I have done multiple restores of old Haas stuff and there were settings that had to be monkeyed with and matched to the original parameters print out or things weren't going to behave.

I have zero experience with the next generation control, or restoring it from a battery failure. Did you restore all the factory parameters and settings? Does it have some rebuild tool on the USB to allow you to do that as the end user? I'm wondering if there are things that didn't get restored because it's not in some protected service mode that Haas designed into it.

I have done multiple restores of old Haas stuff and there were settings that had to be monkeyed with and matched to the original parameters print out or things weren't going to behave.

I was finally successful this afternoon . I don't know how many times I checked the parameters against backup text file and they all seemed correct.
I decided to do fresh restore and it seems to work as it should .Its a bit of a mystery . I couldn't be happier. Now I need to learn how to program for a lathe.

Now I need to learn how to program for a lathe.
Make friends with the visual programming screens. They will build and dump the programs into MDI for you, easy peasy. From those programs, you'll learn the basic structure of what the programs should look like.

Almost everything in those turning cycles is based around the G70 series of canned cycles (G70, 71, 72, 73). They are your friend. I still program the lathe by hand because the programs are so short. I use those visual programming tools as building blocks, assemble all the steps I need, insert some safe locations to change the tools, a few hand edits and I run them.

Back