What's new
What's new

New to me Hendey 18 speed 12x30

Soot n' Cinders

Plastic
First time poster, long time reader here!

So this past weekend I purchase a pair of machines and could use some help with them once I get them home. The easier of the two is the 9x42in Bridgeport 2J, only question I have on it is what to use to grease the head. The plate calls out Lubriplate #107 grease, is this still available and if not, what is a good replacement?

The bigger of the two is my first gear head lather Hendey 18 speed 12x30, serial number 29604. It came with a decent amount of tooling as well as a steady rest, but the machine has sat for 5 years and is in need of some care. The big one is almost all of the oil has drained out of the lathe and into the chip pan. Im going to take advantage of this and try to clean any crud out of the oil sumps before refilling with fresh oil. So I have two big questions, are there any filters I should try to get out and clean or replace? And second, what oil should I use in the various bearings and gearboxes? This lathe has Timken taper roller bearings in it and I don't know if they require different oil than the plain bearings on my South Bend.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I'd be curious to learn anything else I can about this lathe. Its quite a bit more complicated than my South Bend so theres a lot to figure out.

66629427262__C052192A-45C8-4AE0-95A5-41C666E093C8.jpg
66629428039__D541CFB1-56D7-4934-8D0F-91523479955C.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like I just need to get a jug of Mobil DTE Medium and another jug of Mobil Vactra way oil to keep with the machine. That’s nice it’s just two oils, I’ve got four different ones to go with my south bend.

I’ll check out both threads when I get home this evening!

I got some info from Hendeyman on my lathe!

Hendey Lathe No.29604, a 12" x 30", 18speed, Geared Head lathe, was completed on January 14, 1938. The following information was taken from the original Order
Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: September 23, 1937
Date Started: September 27, 1937
Sold to: Bailey Motor Company, 1050 Ivanhoe Road, Cleveland, Ohio
Sold by: Jeffery-Gilles (Cleveland, Ohio Selling Agent)
Wanted by: January 31, 1938
Description: 12" x 30" - 18 speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - To swing 14-1/2" (Raised Swing model)
Oil Pan
Regular equipment (as shown in catalog)
Timken roller bearings on main spindle - Multiple splined shafts
Cam Lock type flanged spindle nose
Spindle speeds - 19 to 1000 R.P.M.
High speed reversing Mechanism
Taper Attachment
Drawing-in attachment and set of 15 No.6 collets from 1/8" to 1" inclusive by 16ths complete with cabinet
Fit motor and starter
Furnish and fit Hendey push button for reversing service built into gear box
Arranged for vee belt connected motor drive with motor in cabinet
Furnish friction type clutches in Apron
General Electric motor, 3 HP, 220/440 volts, 1160 RPM, type K, frame 254, 3 phase, 60 cycles
Starter will be General Electric CR-7009-B20A reversing type

Its amazing how the machine has changed in 84 years. Unfortunately its lost more than its gained over the years. The collets and taper attachment are both long gone, probably separated from the machine when Bailey sold it. I would love to get these back but the pieces I see for sale online are quite expensive.
The motor and starter have also been replaced over the years. The original GE 3hp has been replaced with a US Electric 5hp motor, and the push button reversing starter has been replaced with a non-reversing toggle switch.
The one thing it did pick up along the way is a steady rest, which is nice.

Hopefully the machine will come home this weekend and then I can begin cleaning it up and getting the SAE 30 motor oil out of it. I don't have a supply of DTE yet but hopefully I can get some soon. The named DTE series doesn't seem like its available anywhere but I do have a couple leads on DTE 25/26 to chase down.

Just go to your local heavy equipment or ag dealer and pick up some 46 hydraulic oil which they should have on the shelf or in bulk [bring a container]. Essentially the same stuff and made for working conditions easily 10 TIMES as harsh as a vintage lathe.

The named DTE series doesn't seem like its available anywhere but I do have a couple leads on DTE 25/26 to chase down.
Get something equivalent if the Mobil product isn't available. Some folks use hydraulic oil but what you really are looking for is plain ole turbine oil. I use a Lubrication Engineers product in my Hendey lathes as I have a rep nearby. McMaster Carr is showing a gallon of plain ISO 46 turbine oil part #3025K39 as being available for $21.71.

Get something equivalent if the Mobil product isn't available. Some folks use hydraulic oil but what you really are looking for is plain ole turbine oil. I use a Lubrication Engineers product in my Hendey lathes as I have a rep nearby. McMaster Carr is showing a gallon of plain ISO 46 turbine oil part #3025K39 as being available for $21.71.

Interesting, I live near a McMaster-Carr warehouse so I could go pick some up. Any idea who makes that oil? I don't see a manufacturer listed.

McMaster-Carr never lists manufacturers - I've bought machine oil from them in the past, and it was Mobil brand, but there's no guarantee on that :~)

Thanks for the info guys! I'll definitely look into getting some from McMaster Carr if I can't get any anywhere else.

In the meantime, Ive been fiddling with the lathe learning more about it and getting it ready to run again. The motor looks ok with a meter so Im guessing it wouldn't start because of a problem with the old static phase converter it was connected to. I just need to get a bigger rotary phase converter, I have a 3HP Phase-a-matic but this is a 5HP motor. I may see if the converter will run the motor with everything disconnected, hopefully that won't be too much for the converter.

Also, I have found several other parts missing as Ive dug into it. It looks like at some point someone took the entire assembly for the taper attachment off of it. The auxiliary slide under the cross slide has been replaced with a simple home made bar, it works but theres no way to reattach a taper attachment right now and the quick withdraw attachment is gone as well. Thanks to Hendeyman finding the drawings, I do intend to remake these parts and start working on bringing the lathe back to how it was originally made.
I would love to find a taper attachment to put on, but from what I've read online these are hard to get. So one question for those of you that have one, how hard would it be to make a new one? Hendeyman has the drawings and we've discussed 3D printing some new patterns to have the pieces cast rather than machining everything from bar stock. They don't look too complicated in the pictures I've seen, and I think it would be a cool machining project to make a new one for my lathe. Im also open to having a couple sets cast if anybody else wants to join in the project, though I don't know when I'll actually do it. I have a lot of work to do on the lathe as it sits currently before I worry about making an attachment I probably won't use very frequently.

Back