What's new
What's new

New to me Logan lathe setup

adl2494

Plastic
Hello all. New to the forum. Soon to become a new 11" Logan lathe owner. The lathe i am likely purchasing has a dual tool post cross slide with no compound slide. I am fairly inexperienced with a lathe and no compound slide seems like a huge short coming to me. But the price is right i think. My question is... Is there a good way to add a decent compound slide to a lathe like this? Could one be mounted on the near side tool post mount and function normally? Would i be better off to find a compound cross slide made for an 11 inch logan? Or should I really pass on this lathe in wait of another?. Thank you in advance for any thoughts or ideas. Im sure many here have much more experience than I.

DocsMachine

Titanium
The "dual slide" is Logan's "production slide", intended for machines that were heading for a factory to do... well, production.

Basically they're intended to be set up with a large toolpost on each side of the work, without the extra hassle of a compound. The workpiece is profiled or threaded or whatever with the front tool, then typically parted with the rear. (Ir a form tool is fitted to make a fancy shape or O-ring groove or whatever.

Not quite a turret lathe, but same idea.

On the plus side, you can, I'm pretty sure, simply remove that slide and reinstall a standard Logan engine lathe cross slide and compound. They show up on occasion on eBay, or you might post a WTB here on PM in the for-sale section.

AND... if you do replace it, I'd be interested in picking up the production slide from you. :)

Doc.

L Vanice

Diamond
My Clausing 5914 12 x 36 lathe has both the normal cross slide with compound and normal tailstock and the optional lever or screw-fed double tool cross slide and turret tailstock. I have done production jobs with the turret and lever cross slide, but leave the normal cross slide and tailstock installed almost all the time. It does not hurt to have both options. It is simple to change the parts back and forth.

Larry

JST

Diamond
It makes a difference if it is the lever version or the screw. The screw type is on the normal carriage, the lever type is not, and is really for turret use.

I have both for mine, and I can swap them in a couple minutes. The t-slot one uses a slightly thicker gib on my particular machine.

adl2494

Plastic
It is the screw type with the normal carriage. Its looking like I can probably put a compound on either by mounting one on the t-slot of the production slide or by purchasing an entire cross slide upper and compound. If I was going to bolt one to the tslots, is there an inexpensive compound anyone can recommend?

jims

Hot Rolled
I started machining in 1953 on a new Logan turret lathe with a production cross slide. And I still have one. I also have a normal
cross slide but don’t use it often. Takes only minutes to change from one slide to the other. I have been told the production slides are more stout and cause less chatter.