What's new
What's new

New to me Mori Seiki SL-250BMC - X axis not moving

CT1983

Plastic
This is all new to me so please bear with me. just picket this machine up and i'm trying to wake it up, but its been a struggle bus.

I can travel the Z axis back and forth to the stops, but the X axis doesnt budge a bit. Fanuc Tech support asked if i was able to reference the Z axis - which i was able to set its home in the parameters (hoping that this is what she was talking about). She felt that there was an interlock issue but said that she couldnt help with it.

one odd thing - Both X and Z don't budge a bit when I put the APC for each to zero.

Again, this is my first time running this machine and Fanuc, so far all of the hurdles i've run across (except for a popped fuse) have been the result of me not knowing any better.

I've got a few shops in the area I'm visiting but the one with a mori lathe isn't until mid to late next week.

hoping someone can point me in the right direction. - if anyone is in the Seattle area that can help or is willing to let me shadow, please DM me.

Patrick

P.S. watched This Mori Set up video on YT, but didn't make it very far

Last edited:
Is the machine equipped with a tool touch off arm? If so, post the contents of Diagnostic X004. Also post the contents of Diagnostics G008 and G130. The contents of these will show if an interlock is being applied.

Status update,

Tool touch arm (presetter) can’t be seen by the machine, I’m not able to select the PSM function in order to even begin the diagnostic.

Noticed TRCL is blinking,

Checked position of turret vs machine, and physically realigned with D105.4 to be the same position as indicated on the control.

Set it back to clamp, and reset the machine a few times, still blinks, turned machine off and came back the next day, same condition

After alignment the only thing that changed is that Turret degrees (Axis 4) now indicates as well as spindle (c axis) but no movement or indication on the X axis. Note: X axis is about -5.5 from home position

Got a call back from a tech in Portland and says there is a pretty in-depth and lengthy procedure for ‘referencing’ the turret so the machine knows where in space it is, and he said he’s gonna share it, also that it’s a common issue on the older machines.

So I’m waiting for that. Unless someone has one to share.

Thanks,

Patrick

Is the machine equipped with a tool touch off arm? If so, post the contents of Diagnostic X004. Also post the contents of Diagnostics G008 and G130. The contents of these will show if an interlock is being applied.
Hi Vancbiker,

Yes the machine is equipped with a tool touch arm.

PCMDIAG 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
X004 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
G008 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
G130 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0

Status light TRCL is blinking, I tried a few times following the Procedure for Establishing #1 Tool Position on Servo-Driven Turrets, with no luck

I set D149.6 to 1 in the event of an interlock as the Turret jog button was unresponsive, but still wouldn't move with the jog handle.

Note that you can hear the hydraulics cycling for Clamp/Unclamp, but turret won't budge.

D151 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Unable to get D151.2 to stay as a 1

Again, thanks in advance

Patrick

Back