What's new
What's new

New (to me) South bend 14.5 lathe. Pics.

Ingram306

Plastic
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Picked this lathe up of craigslist for what i thought was a pretty good price of $500. :) Included the following:

2 # Jaw Chucks
2 Faceplates assorted lathe dogs.
Full set of 5C collets, plus some doubles
Lathe mounted collet rack, and all the necessary stuff for collet use
Phase converter
3 Dead centers of different sizes
1 live center
2 drill chucks
about a dozen endmills of various sizes new in packages
about a dozen drill bits
6 tool holders, all different angles shapes and sizes.
2 boring tools
follow rest
small box full of HSS cutting tools as well as a few HSS blanks, and a few carbide cutting tools

Could use a new coat of paint, but it is the original paint which im happy about. Serial card says that it was shipped with a taper attachment, however, the seller did not have it.

Heres a few pics of when i picked it up, seems really clean, all the oil cups were full, everything was really tight and smooth. the ways are spotless, and there are none of the usual chunks taken out o the compound slide or the saddle.

Let me know what you guys think. ** Im in the market for a thread dial for this **

photo-18.jpg

photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

SBlatheserialfront.png

SBlatheserialback.png

rw1

Aluminum
That's a smokin' deal IMHO. Cool to have a irregular sized lathe.....nice!

BTW - my 65' heavy 10 was originally shipped to Gilbert and Richards also!

Ingram306

Plastic
BTW - my 65' heavy 10 was originally shipped to Gilbert and Richards also!

Haha nice.. I tried to do some research to see what kind of company they were and where they were located, but didnt come up with anything. You have any idea where they were located or what kind of shop it was?

rw1

Aluminum
Haha nice.. I tried to do some research to see what kind of company they were and where they were located, but didnt come up with anything. You have any idea where they were located or what kind of shop it was?

I believe they make valves, ball valves, pressure regulators.....industrial market. Name has changed over the years but I think they are in Ohio. At least I think this is the company.

My 10L is broken down and has a long journey of cleaning before I can begin to use it. Hopefully it will be my Christmas Present to operate! Enjoy your SB!

SBLatheman

Titanium
Gilbert and Richards was a South Bend Lathe distributor.
I forget where they were located. I can look it up if it is important to you.
Ted

SBLatheman

Titanium
Ted, how many of those castings are the same as the 13"?

Castings the same as a 13...the only ones I can think off hand are:
- most of the taper attachment(he doesn't have one)
-thread dial( doesn't have that either)
There are a few parts(not castings) that are the same(not many)
There are more 16" parts in common with the 14 1/2"(gearbox, end gears, leadscrew...)

The headstock(and most of its parts), bed, saddle,CS, compound, tailstock, legs, apron, are all just for the 14 1/2"

All the machines in the SBL family look alike, but don't be fooled :nono:

Ted

Ingram306

Plastic
Not a big deal, was just wondering. Thanks for all the replies. Like I mentioned in my post, I'm going to be looking for a threading dial for this. I've searched eBay, but I want to know exactly what I need first. Probably an aloris tool holder as well.. I'm kinda new at this but I believe I would need a bxa post?? Correct me if I am wrong.

rw1

Aluminum
Gilbert and Richards was a South Bend Lathe distributor.
I forget where they were located. I can look it up if it is important to you.
Ted

I did a little snooping and found them in Camden and New Haven Conneticut. Had no idea they were distributors.......thanks Ted!

macgyver

Stainless
I also have a 14.5 and have used it alot. I think the only things that i don't have for mine is the collet stuff and a follower rest. It has been a good lathe for me. The one thing that bugs me about it is that it seems to be a couple inches too low, I think that when i move mine in the next couple of weeks I will set it on 4x4's to see if I like it better.

BTW, not sure if it is ok to mention here, but I have a NOS thread dial for a 14.5 and 16 still in the sb box. i considered fitting it to my 18", but realize i will not get to it. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Jason

k3vyl

Stainless
You did well.Paint wasnt really perfected before lathes were making the world go round.If you never paint it it will still cut metal just the same.