What's new
What's new

New to me Van Norman 3V

jeff76

Cast Iron
Added a Van Norman 3V to the arsenal a few weeks back. Finally getting it moved around in the shop. Still got to get it cleaned up, and the covers and stuff back on and hooked up but figured Id post a few pics real quick. I'll try to get some better ones later when I get a chance. This is kind of a busy time of the year for me, so it might take awhile. Just wondering if anyone knows of any other 3V's around? In looking online, I don't see any others.

Jeffvan norman 2.jpgvan norman 3.jpgVan Norman on trailer.jpgvan norman mill.jpgforklift pic unloading mill.jpg

The VN pure verticals and pure horizontals are much less common than the "nodding" versions. I suspect there are a few more horizontals out there than verticals.

Everything except the head looks very similar to the VN #28/38 models. Should be a decently beefy machine. 5, 7.5 or 10HP at the head on that one?

The VN pure verticals and pure horizontals are much less common than the "nodding" versions. I suspect there are a few more horizontals out there than verticals.

Everything except the head looks very similar to the VN #28/38 models. Should be a decently beefy machine. 5, 7.5 or 10HP at the head on that one?

5hp on the head and 2hp on the knee

More photos when you get the chance, please.

Does that thing have a quill or does the whole head slide up and down? (I'm assuming the lever on the left side of the head as you stand in front of the machine is for that Z motion.)

Does that thing have a quill or does the whole head slide up and down? (I'm assuming the lever on the left side of the head as you stand in front of the machine is for that Z motion.)

Might be a little bit but Ill try to get some more pics when I can. I have not put power to the machine yet so I am not extremely familiar with the machine yet. I believe that the whole head goes up and down from the way it appears to me. As to the lever on the side Im not even sure about it lol. I really havent had much time to spend on this yet. I did print a manual out for it from the vintage machinery site. Should get a little more time this winter to dig into this more hopefully.

Jeff

The lever on the left side of the head is the lock for the head. I have been working on getting it cleaned up and getting myself familiarized with it. Here are a few more pics of the machine in its most current state.vn1.jpgvn2.jpgvn3.jpgvn4.jpg

is that a phash-amatic on the side above that control box ? and if so is or was that mill running off of that ?

is that a phash-amatic on the side above that control box ? and if so is or was that mill running off of that ?

It is actually 2 of them. One for the spindle and one for the knee, and yes it was(and still is) running on them. I do have a rotary that I could probably power it with but it seems to do just fine on the static converters for me and the rotary is being used in a different location.

Jeff

Yep, and has been for many years without a problem. This was owned by my brother 'fore Jeff got it. We did some serious milling on that old horse without a whimper. I've got one on my 20hp American. I'll let you know if it will last. It's only been 18 years.

It is actually 2 of them. One for the spindle and one for the knee, and yes it was(and still is) running on them. I do have a rotary that I could probably power it with but it seems to do just fine on the static converters for me and the rotary is being used in a different location.

Jeff

thanks for the reply if it works that's all that maters

Yep, and has been for many years without a problem. This was owned by my brother 'fore Jeff got it. We did some serious milling on that old horse without a whimper. I've got one on my 20hp American. I'll let you know if it will last. It's only been 18 years.

who could ask for more

I have one (perhaps 30 years). I needed it to surface some manifolds which was a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, the main gearbox needs repair. However, one day it will work, although It is a bit big for a single-car garage and is about 10,000 miles distant from yours. So much has changed (technology, knowledge, sharing and availability) over the years and I think I have more hope, money and motivation to get the VN3 back on the road. I still remember the day I towed the bugger from where I purchased it and rolled it into place (my 35-year-old car at the time was not too happy and neither was the trailer). It is a heavy bugger. If I invested the purchase price at the time, I'd likely be rich. I am happy now. Can't have both.

Back