What's new
What's new

New (used) machine needs oil ... spindle oil selection

darron

Plastic
Our Feeler HT-30SY is here and finally wired for power. Now, I'm trying to sort the oils. It was all drained for shipment.

The label on the physical machine has only the way oil (vactra 1, ISO 32) and one 58L "hydraulic tank" (mobil DTE 24). There are two tanks for hydraulics though... a hydraulic unit that is in the hydraulic diagram (which the previous owner says they used DTE 24, and is more like 10-15L) and an external chiller tank (which the previous owner says they use DTE Light and were told not to use DTE 24 (?), somewhere around 30-35L).

I then was given a maintenance manual updated 2013 (machine is from 2011, no docs from then) that splits out "spindle cooler tank" as "mobil velocite #6". (ISO 10, makes more sense) That also says "vactra #2" for the way oil. (ISO 68 instead of the machine label's ISO 32, which also seems to correlate better with what I'm finding online) The old shop's maintenance guys said they'd probably use Velocite #6 in the spindle cooler but aren't sure because the docs are so bad.

I also saw mentions in this forum of a light oil like Velocite #6 for spindles. It's a 3500 RPM main spindle and 6000 RPM sub, so not super high speed or anything.

The odd thing is I traced the external chiller and both lines run to the turret. I've checked three times and even color coded them every 1-2 feet with colored electrical tape. I don't have any hydraulic diagrams including the external chiller at all. It's weird. I've taken off more panels and I'm attempting to trace everything out now. The machine has live tooling... so... maybe it routes through there as well?

The previous owner said they were told to use DTE Light in the external cooler because "DTE 24 is too thick"... which makes no sense as they're both ISO 32 and as far as I can tell DTE 24 is the zinc anti-wear one and DTE Light is non-zinc. However, plenty of cross reference charts online put them as crossing for eachother. He sent me a scanned page showing DTE 24 for the hydraulic tank and DTE Light for the spindle oil cooler system. He said it came from the Taiwanese manufacturer.

I just got off the phone with a commercial Mobil tech and they told me that all three are compatible without issues, even the non-zinc and zinc variants. He said Velocite #6 and DTE Light should be no problem switching from a chemical compatibility point of view. He said there's no need for any full system flushing or anything, just filling the drained main tank would be safe. He said even if the manufacturer thought the anti-wear additives in DTE 24 were not desirable from possibly a yellow-metal components point of view or something, velocite #6 vs. DTE Light should have no such concerns.

So... long way of saying should I switch the spindle chiller oil to velocite #6? That's my current inclination.

G

Velocite #6 pretty much the old standby for high speed spindle bearings ever since I first was running Swiss automatics 40+ years ago.

darron

Plastic
Huh. I'm tracing this external chiller and it ONLY goes to the turret. The other two pairs of hydraulics going to the turret are both to the other main hydraulic system. "transport" (google translate of the text above is "turret power switch") and "Disk CL/UN" (translated text seems to be "cutting holder") from the hydraulic drawing probably... I assume that's turret position clamp and maybe live tooling clamp? or is that both related to just moving and clamping the turret? these docs are full of translations that just raise all kinds of red flags that they might be misleading.

I've removed the paneling around the main spindle and there are no other hydraulics that I can see besides the chuck clamp from the main system. (Edit: that must be wrong... there's a C axis brake in the diagram... I need to keep looking) (Edit 2: ok, found the C axis clamp... the lines were directly under a bundle running to a manifold)

So, this is not a "spindle cooler" as in the main spindle... maybe the live tooling motor? "spindle" could be a poor translation issue.

Why would you have a big 35L external chiller for something on the turret when everything else on the entire machine runs on a smaller tank?

G

Not familiar with that model, quite often the turret indexing, collet closers or chucks run on hydraulics along with the tailstock. A lot of models have sealed bearings in the spindles and have no connection to the lube system.

darron

Plastic
This chiller is confusing the hell out of everyone I talk to. It's definitely going to the turret circulating lubrication lines and nowhere else. I think since it's not a high speed spindle or anything I'll stick with what the previous owner apparently used for 9+ years and use the ISO 32 Mobil DTE Light.