What's new
What's new

Newall Topaz DRO erratic reading

APD

Stainless
Mill had not been used for a few months and was working fine. Newall Topaz two axis .

I turn on the DRO and the numbers are jumping all over the place. Digits flickering, jumping from 0 to -12653.0174 instantly, etc.

Sometimes I can find a spot where it behaves normal, but moving any axis will cause it to go nuts again.

Manual says this behavior can be due to a bad ground, so I add a ground wire in specified location and check continuity with machine and metal wall boxes. everything is grounded with no change.
The scales are protected by aluminum angle and the problem started after months of NO Usage, so its not dirty scales.

Any suggestions what else to check?

I got something similar but different on my C80 so I can't say for sure but it was cheap enough to try.

My power supply died and I got a new one from McMaster but due to lack of standards on the plug the new one almost fit but didn't and the numbers were erratic. In my case I cut the old connector off the bad power supply spliced it to the good inner so I had a good connection and good supply and it all worked good again. So may want to verify that you have good power, good connections etc... Outside of that I thought I saw a company on Ebay who repairs those readouts.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I got something similar but different on my C80 so I can't say for sure but it was cheap enough to try.

My power supply died and I got a new one from McMaster but due to lack of standards on the plug the new one almost fit but didn't and the numbers were erratic. In my case I cut the old connector off the bad power supply spliced it to the good inner so I had a good connection and good supply and it all worked good again. So may want to verify that you have good power, good connections etc... Outside of that I thought I saw a company on Ebay who repairs those readouts.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Good idea. There is no separate power supply on mine. It is internal on the display unit. Not sure what it looks like inside.

After searching the forum more, I have found a few mentions of blown capacitors in these units. Looks like I will be opening it up sometime soon to investigate

Well I opened it up and noticed that the largest capacitor had a noticeable bulge in the top. I replaced it and the one beside it, but it made no difference in how it behaves.
I was really hoping it would be that simple.
Not sure what to try next. There are a bunch of smaller caps on the board, but they arent bulging.
Any suggestions?

Back