What's new
What's new

Newbie, Looking for info on Hendey Lathe Serial #11106

ironmadman

Plastic
Hello,

A friend of mine shared this group with me. I am looking for information on a Hendey lathe, Serial number I assume is 11106, found at the tailstock end of the lathe. I will be restoring this lathe in the near future, and am wondering how old it is. He told me that there is someone on here that knows Hendey history. I am hoping that whom ever can help.

Thanks
Taffy E..

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for such quick replies. I did a search on this forum and found Hendeyman's email. Here is the info he provided.

Greetings Taffy:

Little information remains in the files on these older machines, but here is what I could find.

Hendey lathe No.11106, a 14 x 6 Cone Head model was completed during mid-January 1910. It was shipped with an Oil Pan (offered at extra cost) and
a Taper Attachment. The original owner was E. Ingraham Company, Bristol, Connecticut. This lathe features the 1906 improved Carriage and Cross Slide.
There is a note in the files that indicates that your lathe was sent back to Hendey to be rebuilt, the work was completed on December 19, 1933.
The following information was taken from the original Rebuild Order:

Date Ordered: October 10, 1933
Date Started: October 11, 1933
Sold to: The E. Ingraham Company, Bristol, Connecticut
Description: TO BE THOROUGHLY REBUILT Lathe Serial #11106
1 - 14 x 6 Cone Type Lathe with Oil Pan and Taper Attachment
This machine to be rebuilt to original design
This machine to have accuracy equivalent to new machine

There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be
made if required. I sell copies of the drawings, the price is based on size and what the blueprint company charges me to copy these old drawings, they need special handling. I sell enlarged copies of the 1904 Parts Book, which you can use to identify a particular part when requesting a drawing. I give a discount
when you order more drawings, but I do charge $25 per hour for research time to locate the various drawings. It normally requires about one to two hours to find most drawings. If you would send me your street mailing address, I will send you a few pages from the 1910 Hendey catalog that has the specifications
for your lathe and some of the special features. If I can be of further help, let me know.

Here are some pictures of this early Hendey lathe as found and as rigged for moving. It came with a the taper attachment, traveler rest, steady rest, relieving attachment, indexing attachment, Set of original collets in wood box with stand and others yet to be identified. It‘s prior owner was an engineer at E. Ingram Clock Co. in Bristol CT. Also moved was a Brown & Sharpe 1D, with many accessories that was also from the same firm. These were headed to be scrapped.. 1673629610059.jpeg1673629582689.jpeg

1673629643488.jpeg
1673629685563.jpeg
1673629726870.jpeg
1673629763555.jpeg

Pat's "rehab" of his 14 X 6 is here

Here are some photos of the Brown & Sharpe #1D milling machine also from E Ingram Clock Co. and then an engineer that worked for the firm. The Hendey lathe is actually in very good mechanical & functional condition. The Brown & Sharpe however does need Significant work. It also came with some pretty rate attachments including a rack milling attachment, indexing head & tailstock, original vice, all the wrenches, all the change gears, collets, vertical milling attachment and others yet to be identified.

1673651550061.jpeg

1673651575200.jpeg

1673651608419.jpeg
1673651636039.jpeg

1673651808648.jpeg

Attachments

• 1673651530364.jpeg
    1673651530364.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 4
The mill looks a lot like the Hendey Universal mill I'm currently restoring. I see your's mostly likely is a universal as it certainly appears the table rotates. Looks like the indexing head is driven from the right side of the table. I don't see one in the pictures, did it come with one?

Last edited:
The mill looks a lot like the Hendey Universal mill I'm currently restoring. I see your's mostly likely is a universal as it certainly appears the table rotates. Looks like the indexing head is driven from the right side of the table. I don't one in the pictures, did it come with one?
Yes, it did come with a complete indexing head with change gears and tailstock. And yes it is a universal table.

Here is the last machine acquired from the Estate and came from E. Engram Clock Co and then the engineer that worked with them. Its a B.C. Ames Vertical Bench Milling machine. Actually came with two heads, one for #3am collets and one for #1AM Collets. The serial number is 5 so not sure of the year and being an underdrive unit its not that early is I am thinking. It is also possible that the mill was modified at some point and the base was cut open for the belt to pass through. My thought is that the rear pulley height is much more suitable for overhead drive given their position relative to the spindle. Would be interested to hear from folks that are familiar with this machine.

1673727164695.jpeg

1673727183442.jpeg

1673727214757.jpeg

1673727241868.jpeg

1673727271088.jpeg

Back