What's new
What's new

Newbie Question: Mt2 to JT33 Conversion

mr4848675

Plastic
Brand new to the board so thanks for having/humoring me. I've got a drill press with a jt33 setup along with a number of aftermarket chucks and collets. I'm looking at a variable speed drill press with an mt2 setup. What do I need to look for in order to use the jt33 chucks on the mt2. And is it something I should be considering. I've seen the adapter tapers but know absolutely nothing about this process. Nor the proper terminology. Any suggestions or direction would be much appreciated.

It's just a shank with a taper on each end and stays with the chuck. So get one for each chuck. They are difficult to remove from the chuck.

Almost all drill presses use an adapter to go from spindle connection to chuck connection. Morse Taper being the most common from what I know. So for you to get a MT2 to JT33 adapter would be a completely normal thing to do. If you have multiple chucks you like to use, get a MT2 adapter for each. You don't want removing chucks off of adapters to be a normal thing. Once on they stay there for life. They're not that easy to get off, even with the proper wedges. Removing MT2 tapers from the drill press to change chucks is easy with the proper knock out wedge, and could be considered Standard Operating Procedure.

if i understand right what your saying is that the drill press has a female no. 2 MT [there is a hole at the end of the spindle were the chuck goes]if that's true just like the others are saying you get an adapter it will have two male tappers [one at each end] in your case at one end no.2MT at the other end JT33 if that's the case then you can have all the chucks you want just install them in there own no.2MT to what ever adapters if that's not the case then find the right chuck or change the spindle or rework it to the tapper you want or thread it and install a threaded chuck [that is how i have fixed a lot of drill presses with bent spindles] but how ever you get there good luck .

I see where some of the mt2 to jt33 arbor adapters have a tang/tab on the mt2 side but some don't. Why is that?

Sometimes used with a drawbar.

I also keep a drill chuck on a straight shank. Easier to swap between mills with different spindle tapers to holding in lathe chucks etc.

L7

I see where some of the mt2 to jt33 arbor adapters have a tang/tab on the mt2 side but some don't. Why is that?

I believe the standard Morse Taper comes with a tang. Even though the Morse Taper is considered a Self Holding Taper, a tang is there to help hold it against rotation. More likely then not the drill press will accept a tanged MT2 shank. If so that's what you want. Edit: The tang is also

Also don't forget to buy a MT2 drift that's used to knock out the taper when you're looking to change out to a different chuck. It's a simple tapered piece of metal that fits through the slot in the side of your drill press spindle and engages the top of the MT2 tang. Generally a mild to medium tap on the end of it will knock the tool shank out. It might take more then that if it's been in there for a very long time.

Edit: The tang is also part of the system for removing the tapered holder. Otherwise you'd be beating on the end of the precision taper trying to remove it.

I appreciate all the info. I'm sure it's a fairly novice question for you folks but there's no substitute for experience. Most likely I'll be back once the new DP is purchased. Thanks

I'm already i huge fan/customer of McMaster Carr. Best selection and fastest shipping PERIOD. I'm going to wait until i purchase the new DP before I make any selections. Not quite understanding the tang/no tang situation just yet. Probably the main reason for my original post is to check with all you folks as to rather or not there were any issues with the jt33 chucks on the mt2 equipped DP. I knew there were adapters out there but didn't know if there was anything negative about this setup the forum members didn't like or wouldn't suggest etc. Thanks

Tang is almost always used on mt drill presses, and most lathes, some HBM’s etc. Only place for a threaded, non tang end on a mt is for a drawbar to hold in place. Used mainly on some smaller mills. A mt with tang is easier (sometimes the only way) to knock out of a spindle and less likely to spin and bugger up the taper in your drill press.

Hope this helps. Nothing like seeing it in person and using. Do you have a mentor who’s shop you can drop in to see?

L7

The tang is NOT for anti rotation. Any drill near the max for that taper can easily shear the tang. In the original patent drawing it is labeled "ejection tang".

The tang is NOT for anti rotation. Any drill near the max for that taper can easily shear the tang. In the original patent drawing it is labeled "ejection tang".

I don't doubt for a minute what you say is true, and I also mentioned as such. But I can assure you, many a tang has saved an ill seated or fitting taper from spinning during a drilling process.

It's 99.9% certain that you want a Morse taper with a tang for your drill press.

The correct terminology is "arbor", and as was previously stated, they stay with the chuck. So you'll be searching for something like a "MT2-JT33 arbor".

Back