What's new
What's new

Newbie with a Schaublin 102, tons of dumb questions - need simple answers.

ua101

Aluminum
After visiting the yahoo Schaublin user group which is more of a posh style group and got me nowhere but discouragement, I’m hoping there are more blue collar guys here who can help me, regardless of their opinion if I should keep it or sell it and get something else. I have a 1966 102-80 (W20-MT2). This is my first lathe never used one before I got it because it was cheap, but now need to price out if I can make it work with my limited budget. It’s in good working shape, run out is less then 0.001 and about 0.0030mm backlash on the cross and compound, tail is solid about 0.0002 backlash.

Here is a picture of it after serious 5 hour rust cleaning:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I don't have any collets, no draw bar, no drill chuck, no tool post and no motor
or motor pulley, and no variable speed control, so all these things have to be bought used.

Few questions if I may:

If I find a used draw bar does it need anything else like a bearing or collar bushing on the back end?

How do I determine if the collets are the correct ones when looking at eBay auctions, since some sellers have no idea what they are selling? For example these two auctions:

Schaublin W20 Collets | eBay

And

62 Schaublin Collets 1 32" thru 1" W20 | eBay

One says SV is that from a different SV model, the other one last picture he shows a measure of almost 25mm – shouldn’t it be less then 20mm or close to it?

Is there a mark on a collet to determine if it’s W20? Do numbers in metric state the measure, so if it says 11 that means 11mm? I assume they make both sets in mm and inches.

Is there an alternative to the W20, maybe a different make draw bar with an adepter to 3,4,5C collets so it’s cheaper method, then I’ll save up for the appropriate set up.

How do I choose an appropriate size tool post does the distance from center
to the compound slide differ on different lathes or is it standard on all makes, I measured
it - it's not precise but about 7/8" or closer to 15/16" – have no clue how to
translate this when looking for a tool post? Since I'm looking for the cheapest
solution here, what size tool post and size of tool bits can I use? Does it have
to be Lantern style to match the center height, or maybe one of those adjustable ones
will do? A quick change would be nice but they are very expensive. So I need a simple one for now.

If I choose to use one of those indexable tool bits that hold small
triangular bits on the tip end, does that change the size of a tool post that I
need, and what size indexable tool bit is appropriate? Basically I'll look for a
large lot of tool bits on eBay so which ever is a better deal I'll buy it, so it
could be a mixture of regular bits and indexible. Is it possible to use one tool
post for both types without adding any supporting pieces under the tool bit?

I only have 4 jaw scroll chuck right now mounted on the original back plate, but if I wanted to get a face plate or maybe independent 4 jaw down the road, does a conventional one or from another make fit onto this model back plate or only original Schaublin?

Is it possible to use a second squaring block, so maybe it's easier to align the carriage at precisely 90 degree and not push it against the bed? Or will that wear out the edge of the bed? For example reducing the diameter of a 60mm long shaft. Do you all use indicators to avoid mistakes of making a tapered shaft instead of even reduction?

Any 102 owners in the Toronto area who are using it for hobby and not in business environment?

Cheers

There is a good drawing of your lathes headstock in this German instruction manual ==> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547F...#cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!315

The french manual for the newer 102N is here ==> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547F...cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!2428

There are more Schaublin documents here (few are in English) ==> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547FE296ECFD561F#cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!164

The drawbars have different lengths according to the headstock.

Here is the catalog for pieces for the headstock

Here is the catalog for pieces that go in the spindle

Here is the catalog for pieces that go on the spindle nose

Hope that helps

I can’t read these two languages, but I made a diagram of my spindle:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I don’t see an exact match in the diagram from 4 models, but doesn’t look like there is anything that needs to be secured between the collet and draw bar. My main concern is would I be able to find an aftermarket faceplate or an independent jaw chuck, the collets can wait or at least I can buy up to ¼” in sizes anything over that I can use the 4 jaw for now.

Cheers

There is a good drawing of your lathes headstock in this German instruction manual ==> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547F...#cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!315

The french manual for the newer 102N is here ==> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547F...cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!2428

There are more Schaublin documents here (few are in English) ==> https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547FE296ECFD561F#cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!164

The drawbars have different lengths according to the headstock.

Here is the catalog for pieces for the headstock

Here is the catalog for pieces that go in the spindle

Here is the catalog for pieces that go on the spindle nose

Hope that helps

Few questions if I may:
1. If I find a used draw bar does it need anything else like a bearing or collar bushing on the back end?
2. How do I determine if the collets are the correct ones when looking...
3. One says SV is that from a different SV model, the other one last picture he shows a measure of almost 25mm – shouldn’t it be less then 20mm or close to it?
4. Is there a mark on a collet to determine if it’s W20?
5. Do numbers in metric state the measure, so if it says 11 that means 11mm?
6. I assume they make both sets in mm and inches.
7. Is there an alternative to the W20...?
8. does a conventional [chuck] or from another make fit onto this model back plate or only original Schaublin?
9. Is it possible to use a second squaring block, so maybe it's easier to align the carriage at precisely 90 degree and not push it against the bed? Or will that wear out the edge of the bed?
10.For example reducing the diameter of a 60mm long shaft. Do you all use indicators to avoid mistakes of making a tapered shaft instead of even reduction?
11.Cheers

A bearing is not needed. It just makes tightening the collet nicer. A step, or "collar", is indeed needed to arrest the drawbar from forward movement while tightening the collet into the spindle.
W20 have a 20mm straight shaft. That is probably the most important question you can ask. W25 have a 25mm straight shaft.
Related to #2, a W20 collet has a through capacity of 14.5mm or 9/16". Capacity above that continues to 20mm or 3/4" as a step collet. W25 is physically larger and with larger capacity. It has a through bar capacity of 19mm or 3/4". The step collet capacity continues to 25mm or 63/64". The second link you provided was incorrectly identified. The collets for sale were almost certainly W25.
Newer production collets (after 2001?) will be marked "Schaublin W20 80-4" and labeled in diameter. "⌀13" or "⌀9.2" will refer to millimeters diameter. Newer production collets are marked for size in fractions followed by the inch designator, for example: 37/64". This is unless they are decimal inch collets, but the inch designator will still be present. Older production collets will be marked "SV", for "Schaublin-Villeneuve", and a diameter only. Both markings are on the face of the collet. Some special extended nose collets, for example, will be marked on the shaft above or below the keyway slot due to the special collet nose shape. Collets are standardly available in round, square, and hexagonal profiles.
Yes. There will be no "mm" marking after the number for metric collet bores.
Yes, though inch collets are only stocked in the common, round fractions in my experience. ⌀3/8" will be stock, but ⌀13/64" will have you waiting a while ;)
Yes and no. The technical answer is 'no'. There is no common collet which is interchangeable. That said, many have made or adapted W20 shank ER collet holders. One solution that has found acceptance in smaller lathes is to mount a backplate to an ER flat-back chuck. This will allow you to still use long stock through the headstock while also using inexpensive, readily available collets.
A separate backplate is needed for each chuck.
Why? Use it as designed. Placing the compound against the edge of the bed with its lower alignment block will not damage the lathe.
Everyone seems to have their own method for adjusting the compound slide to turn a parallel cylinder with these lathes. Once you have yours set, you can adjust a stop which is part of the compound assembly to repeatably find it again. Pull the knob back on the right, end of the bottom slide pillow block. You may need to twist it as you are pulling it back. You will feel an engagement, and the knob will pull farther back. Twist it a little, and it will stay retracted. Now use a 14mm wrench to unlock the upper compound slide. Align it as best you can with either the 10-deg. or 0-deg. mark (older slides offset the mark differently) to parallel. Take a test cut. Adjust. Repeat. Etc. ...another way is to use an indicator and adjust angle while indicating along the side of the lathe bed. Others align off the extended quill of the tailstock. Still others use a between centers ground bar. Any and all of these will allow you to find precision adjustment of the compound slide angle. Now, lock the hold down bolts. Look under the cross slide way for a tiny screw. Unlock that screw. Twist the thumb knob until it pops back into the pillow block. Twist it until you feel it stop. Lock the screw under the way again (not too tight! just snug). There -- you've set your stop.
:cheers:

Arthur I've sent you an email yesterday with a diagram, I was wondering if you received it and would you be kind enough to send me a reply.

Cheers.

Arthur's comments are spot-on, the only quibble I would mention is, when you
make the collet drawbar, do put a thrust bearing on it. Collets really don't snug
up well without one.

Two hard washers and a needle thrust bearing from MSC can be had for about ten
bucks and that's all you need. You can put it all inside an aluminum housing and
then just slip it under the handle:

Drawbar3.jpg

Jim is that one in the picture for sale, the problem is I don have a motor, tool post or tools yet, I can’t amok anything till I find everything used and cheap. I'm hoping Arthur can meek me an ER collet adapter and I won’t need any W20 collets at all.

Cheers

Back