What's new
What's new

Nice grey finish on steel, how?

Cannonmn

Stainless
If this is parkerized, fine, I can look up how to do, but I’m not sure. Is there some commercially-available instant stuff available that’ll be quicker? I found this pic on web with no good desviption of the small drill jig nor the finish, and I’d like to make some steel I have look like this.

Attachments

• D2004BED-7CC6-458D-B2EE-7750AA0697CA.jpg
    D2004BED-7CC6-458D-B2EE-7750AA0697CA.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 371
If this is parkerized, fine, I can look up how to do, but I’m not sure. Is there some commercially-available instant stuff available that’ll be quicker? I found this pic on web with no good desviption of the small drill jig nor the finish, and I’d like to make some steel I have look like this.

We make a lot of steel parts that have a smooth even texture with rounded edges. No visible machine marks. We finish the parts in vibratory deburring machines with abrasive media. Sometimes we burnish them with hard media. Sometimes we chemically etch them in the abrasive deburring process. Then we apply a zinc phosphate or black oxide finish with a protective coating.

Looks more like a plating or coating of some sort to me with the coloring in the latter photos. Although that could just be poor white balance. Could possibly be bead blast though. Couldn't see enough to tell squat about the first image.

Those photos are not much better. I measured one after displaying it at IT'S full resolution and that was 640 H x 480 V pixels. This is probably a combination of a cell phone's settings (their screens are lower resolution than even that) and Flickr which has it's own processing and limits on the resolution.

Why can people not post photos with a resolution that takes advantage of the modern displays on DESK TOP computers while not exceeding the horizontal width of the smallest of those screens. It is not hard to do.

1. Open the photo in Microsoft Paint or the Apple equivalent. Paint is free and included with all Windows installations.

2. Change the resolution IN PIXELS to a horizontal setting of 800 to 1000 pixels. Let the vertical resolution follow that horizontal setting to keep the aspect ration the same.

3. Save that photo in it's new resolution.

4. Just use that new photo and upload to THIS BB's image hosting service. The BB software will preserve a horizontal resolution of 800 to 1000 pixels. If you upload a photo with a greater horizontal pixel count, it may reduce it according to it's own rules. I routinely upload pictures both here and on other BBs with 800 horizontal pixels and they are always displayed INSIDE THE POSTS with that resolution. No clicking around is needed.

Just use this BB's image hosting and forget the others, like Flickr.

So much is said about not wasting the time of the members here with posts about amateur or home shop equipment. But what about wasting our time with photos that do not convey the information needed to answer a question. Every thumbnail is an instant time waster. I hate thumbnails.

Example of the above with 800 pixel horizontal resolution:

attachment.php

And another example with 1000 pixel horizontal resolution. The BB apparently reduced it to 860 pixel horizontal resolution. Perhaps that is the limit.

attachment.php

Notice how you can see details in them? And they are right there, in the post. No clicking to try to see them.

PS: Don't tell me your cell phone can not change the resolution of a photo. I have a real cheap, Android phone and even it can. I may not have used yours, but I am willing to bet it is a lot better than mine and that it CAN easily change the resolution of a photo.

Ok try this, another thingy from same place, must be same finish

John Morris has shared 2 photos with you! | Flickr

To me, the last photo items look like a plain surface ground steel.
P.S. I assume the reddish tint is either an artifact or reflection.

Looks like tumbled parts. The media is random screws and nuts. A little burnished for vibratory with abrasive. Wag- educated guess, still wag from picture.

Parkerizing is actually relatively quick too. Just got to mix up some solution (Zinc or Manganese phosphate, can buy on Ebay or Amazon) with water, and "boil" the degreased part for a few minutes. Then rinse and wipe with WD40. What's left can be filtered through a coffee filter and reused next time.

No, cyanide - oddly enough - is perfectly safe to breathe or even drink in large quantities. Proof? It's organic.

The secret is not paying 2-3X as much for the stuff they sell in stores that is labeled 'organic'. That's because all of it is organic...so buy the cheapest cyanide you can find and save your money.

Those photos are not much better. I measured one after displaying it at IT'S full resolution and that was 640 H x 480 V pixels. This is probably a combination of a cell phone's settings (their screens are lower resolution than even that) and Flickr which has it's own processing and limits on the resolution.

Why can people not post photos with a resolution that takes advantage of the modern displays on DESK TOP computers while not exceeding the horizontal width of the smallest of those screens. It is not hard to do.

1. Open the photo in Microsoft Paint or the Apple equivalent. Paint is free and included with all Windows installations.

2. Change the resolution IN PIXELS to a horizontal setting of 800 to 1000 pixels. Let the vertical resolution follow that horizontal setting to keep the aspect ration the same.

3. Save that photo in it's new resolution.

4. Just use that new photo and upload to THIS BB's image hosting service. The BB software will preserve a horizontal resolution of 800 to 1000 pixels. If you upload a photo with a greater horizontal pixel count, it may reduce it according to it's own rules. I routinely upload pictures both here and on other BBs with 800 horizontal pixels and they are always displayed INSIDE THE POSTS with that resolution. No clicking around is needed.

Just use this BB's image hosting and forget the others, like Flickr.

So much is said about not wasting the time of the members here with posts about amateur or home shop equipment. But what about wasting our time with photos that do not convey the information needed to answer a question. Every thumbnail is an instant time waster. I hate thumbnails.

Example of the above with 800 pixel horizontal resolution:

attachment.php

And another example with 1000 pixel horizontal resolution. The BB apparently reduced it to 860 pixel horizontal resolution. Perhaps that is the limit.

attachment.php

Notice how you can see details in them? And they are right there, in the post. No clicking to try to see them.

PS: Don't tell me your cell phone can not change the resolution of a photo. I have a real cheap, Android phone and even it can. I may not have used yours, but I am willing to bet it is a lot better than mine and that it CAN easily change the resolution of a photo.

I actually bought one so I could get my own photos and try to duplicate the finish in my shop. I’ll post my own pix when the thing gets here, those posted were grabbed off web, I use latest IPhone and had no complaints so far.

No, cyanide - oddly enough - is perfectly safe to breathe or even drink in large quantities. Proof? It's organic.

The secret is not paying 2-3X as much for the stuff they sell in stores that is labeled 'organic'. That's because all of it is organic...so buy the cheapest cyanide you can find and save your money.

[Inorganic] potassium cyanide produces a really good finish. A quick one.;)

[Inorganic] potassium cyanide produces a really good finish. A quick one.;)

The old jigs arrived and I’m pretty sure as an earlier answer mentioned, these were bead-blasted to get to their current appearance. The darkest one, on lower right, must have had the most extensive oxidation as there’s a lot of pitting on top. It is 5 inches long, for anyone who cares. Seems most of them were drilling jigs. Hope these photos work better.

Attachments

• B256A8C2-1EA7-4D38-BDE5-2C00FF496263.jpg
    B256A8C2-1EA7-4D38-BDE5-2C00FF496263.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 0290DA6E-A6B7-4565-929C-9FA848A9C142.jpg
    0290DA6E-A6B7-4565-929C-9FA848A9C142.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 77
To me the first pic on Post #4 looks like glass bead blast and the second pic on Post #4 just looks like worn steel. Good luck!

I used some photo fixer that we used to use to develop printing plates. It leaves a nice gray finish. I don't know off hand what the chemical name is. Works slow and doesn't etch very deep.

Back