What's new
What's new

Nicely executed, IMO, shop made lathe.

If I were building my own lathe, it would have a big swing, like 36" or more, and a short bed, like 48" or less. It would also have a big spindle hole, like 24" cuz I'm so tired of stuff not fitting in the hole. It would weigh about 10 tons and have ball screws. And DRO on all three axises's.
What would be the third axis, compound, Y? Also, big through-hole expensive bearings, like really expensive, their price is exponential to the diameter, and the exponent is big :)

But that is what I would buy (or build?), a short lathe with bigger thorough hole and heavy bed, however, I do not need a bigger swing.

Plain bearings limit RPM, however they can, if executed right, be great vibration absorbing element.

regards,
ns

Cost is no object with my fantasy lathe. I'll use some very expensive, very precise bearings bought cheap from government surplus. Maybe some Sikorsky helicopter bearings like this bike uses:

Attachments

• hubless.jpg
    hubless.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25
Cost is no object with my fantasy lathe. I'll use some very expensive, very precise bearings bought cheap from government surplus. Maybe some Sikorsky helicopter bearings like this bike uses:
The problem with metal working machines that they are professional industrial machines and they cost a lot of money for a single person or a small shop and You might not have that money or are not willing to make such expenses. The problem with building the machine You want to 'lessen' the cost is that if you name every spec. you would like your machine to have is that it is always cheaper to just buy a used machine and thus going back to the first option.

The machine at the beginning of the thread is built as, the seller claims, a jewelers lathe, or probably a clock/watch makers lathe.

ns

Round ways are pretty interesting because they can be replaced and adjusted easily so long as the end mounts are designed for it.

They also lack rigidity unless they are very large diameter.

I figured it was just made 3rd world. Whoever did it, they did a decent job by the look of it.
I live in the UK I suppose you might say thats Third world, but even in the third world there are ideas that did not always originate in the USA. The design was an attempt to show that there are possible new ideas that could be used to move on from long long held conventions.

Conventions exist because they work. New ideas are poop. I'd like to see anyone who uses the term 're-imagine' forced to re-imagine their poop as a delicious meal.

I live in the UK I suppose you might say thats Third world, but even in the third world there are ideas that did not always originate in the USA. The design was an attempt to show that there are possible new ideas that could be used to move on from long long held conventions.

No actually, I truly don't know of anyone who would say that the UK is 3rd world... 🤔

And of course ideas originate all over the world - is there somewhere that someone said that they didn't? That would be a pretty ignorant thing to say. I certainly have not ever seen anyone say that all ideas originate in the USA. Hmm.

Back