What's new
What's new

Nichols Tool Room Mill for parts

Dave Vincent

Cast Iron
I have tryed selling this mill complete with no luck.
I am going to sell the vertical head first. The vertical head (which takes nts 40 taper tooling), the 4ns adpter, drawbar, 10 4ns collets 1/16-5/8, mounting tee bolts and the splined driver. For $650+ shipping. The person who buys this has first choice on all other tooling and parts. I can email pictures to anyone that is interested.
Thanks Dave email me at phooey53 at hotmail dot com

Last edited:
mill

I looks like the vertical head is sold pending my getting it packed and funds. People have started sending me there wishes. Please do not send private messages. Please send them to my email address phooey53 at hotmail dot com I will take them in the order that they come in. Thanks Dave

Vertical head still for sale

The vertical head sale fell through. So it is still for sale. $650+ shipping. Vertical head (which takes nt 40 taper), 4ns collet adapter, drawbar, set of 4 ns collets 1/16-5/8, t bolts
, and the splined driver. You would also have first choise of the other parts and tooling. If you are interested please email me at phooey53 at hotmail dot com I can also email you pictures. Thanks Dave Vincent

Mill

I would like to thank all of you that asked about the mill and that were interested in parts. No one has wanted the complete mill or the vertical head when I tried to part it out. Thanks Dave Vincent

Mill

Hi Josh, Since the vertical head is the only thing that is worth the most amount of money. If I sell the tooling I won't be able to use it. I will keep the mill intact. I will just have to listen to my wife give my give me hell for it being in the way. Thanks Dave Vincent

Weeble,
What parts do you need?

In the past I posted to the great Nichols thread/pm'd with a few people, but basically came to the conclusion that in a very general and non-judgemental way the Nichols afficionados are generally tight wads and hard to make a deal with. (If they were not sort of budget minded, they would have just bought a Bport, or....)

Anyhoo, I have two parts machines and can't quite bring myself to scrap them, but also don't want to deal with months of drug out negotiating. Tell me what you need, what you'll pay, and I'll scrap the carcass's.

Scott

Weeble,
What parts do you need?

In the past I posted to the great Nichols thread/pm'd with a few people, but basically came to the conclusion that in a very general and non-judgemental way the Nichols afficionados are generally tight wads and hard to make a deal with. (If they were not sort of budget minded, they would have just bought a Bport, or....)

Anyhoo, I have two parts machines and can't quite bring myself to scrap them, but also don't want to deal with months of drug out negotiating. Tell me what you need, what you'll pay, and I'll scrap the carcass's.

Scott
Scott,

The one thing I could use is a ring adapter that the vertical head attaches to. I don't consider myself a tightwad, but not inclined to pay an arm and a leg for one, since I have a piece of steel to turn one with already. Do either of your machines have the adapter ring? I would prefer to get one from an existing mill if possible, but it's not essential.

I had asked Dave, but never got a reply, to email or PM...so obviously he didn't want to sell his.

Huh, Nichols people are tightwads ... my wallet begs to differ.

I'd buy that vert head, but if I get one, I'd like to have a mill with the high speed bearings, ring adpter, and larger spindle through hole. Maybe Dave's has all this, but has anyone heard the news lately? I think I better just work with what I have here, and stop spending money on tools for a bit. Plus my Nichols is essentially all sorted at this point. I'd like a vert, but will likely hold out for a real vert.

Anyone who wants to really sell anything tool related, I suggest posting pics and prices... easy enough.

bb

BB, Alan, and anyone else whose sensibilities are bruised:

I sort of kicked myself a second after I hit the reply button last time. I'm not trying to rile anyone up, just pointing out that a guy who gets a Nichols home for $0-$1,000-is likely getting good value, but most of these mills are missing the same things, and if you really want those things you have to get a little lucky, or pay what may seem disproportionately high prices when compared to the original purchase. Shipping is at least half the problem.

My particular pet peeve, on the Nichols subject is the guys who simply dissapear after getting a quote. Tell me to shove it, make a counter offer, whatever, but at least have the stones to reply. (Alan is specifically exempted from this rant. When he was having gear motor problems I checked out what I had, it wan't a good fit when shipping was factored in, and he promptly and courteously said so. No problem.)

It's just a deal where answering a string of e-mails, wasting time looking, reporting, waiting for a reply that may never come, tear down, packing, shipping, means you could never, ever charge enough to make up for the PITA.

So yes in a way I'm saying you guys are tightwads, but I wish our government would take a lesson or two.

Scott

Scott,

Before we blame our government (don't they have enough blame on them for the mortgage crisis? :rolleyes5:), or worse blame the owners of Nichols mills, let's first understand something.

Hardly anyone wants these old horizontal mills. These Nichols mills are great machines, and they have proved themselves over time. The problem is that like all machines, they really took some abuse in production environments, being run 24x7, in some cases for years on end. Still, they are useful.

In this thread, Dave wanted to get $650 for the vertical head. With the parts it is probably worth it, but I bought a vertical head in Xlnt shape with the driver adapter for $400 about 6 months ago. That is a more realistic price on one, IMO, and why most of the vertical heads don't sell that people are asking anywhere from $600-$1500, some don't have the driver adapter, collet adapter, draw bar, etc...there is one with an adapter driver that the seller is asking $750, but nobody is paying it, so that is too high. Dave was asking $650, but nobody was buying it.

I did buy one for $400 from Plazza Machinery, and Joe Bergamo has also sold me a large 3-step pulley for about $100 as well. So, I have paid fair value for the parts I have bought, just that some sellers are out of touch with these machines.

Others here have payed decent prices for tables, pulleys, overarm assemblies, screws/nuts, etc...but the fact is that these mills are only worth so much when you can get them surplus if you wait.

I have a beautiful long/narrow table in my garage that will provide someone with 19"-20" of travel, over the stock 10". Should I ask $500 because it is worth it if you needed to buy one and didn't have a table? Nobody would buy it, IMO. It is probably worth $100-$150, being realistic. I'm trading a Foley re-toother for it, so I feel it's worth something.

Hey svs, I know we shot emails back and forth a year ago or so.. can't remember what the outcome was, I've dealt with so many folks on this site for parts.. no bruises on my part. As a general rule, I probably over pay if nothing else!

bb

I think I tried to buy a master gear motor from Scott, but it turned out one didn't work and the other that did he wanted to keep for the one mill he was trying to keep together.

I ended up getting my motor from RichT (who is still owed a handsaw for it;-) and I paid the shipping. Gary bought the mill in NorCal recently primarily for the motor. The motor seems one of the valued parts also, especially if you don't have a working one...BTDT...

This is a very functional mill for me, for the tasks needed for making tools, the horizontal/vertical setup is very useful.

I paid a premium to get the vertical head, but for the real estate this mill takes up, with the fact that I could have vertical/horizontal head setups, it's a great little mill.

Let's face it, the Nichols is one of the taboo machines on PM, although there are a lot of them around, they are not accepted in Antiques, nor are they in any of the other milling forums except general/new.

I wouldn't want to stockpile them for the moment the vertical heads are worth $650, because they will only get cheaper. FWIW, I know a dealer that has multiple vertical heads and will sell one for $400, but they don't have the driver adapter. I think that's fair price, with the adapter, and what I paid. That is the most expensive part I bought for my mill.

Back