What's new
What's new

Nichols Vertical Milling Head WC-234

ElcoMachine

Plastic
Used Nichols vertical milling Head Model # WC-234 For sale.
Condition: Used but in great shape
Reason for selling is because we are currently purging the shop of machinery no longer needed.
800$ or best offer

Attachments

• WIN_20221122_08_00_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221122_08_00_26_Pro.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 40
  • WIN_20221122_07_59_14_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221122_07_59_14_Pro.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 40
  • WIN_20221122_07_58_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221122_07_58_53_Pro.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 38
  • WIN_20221122_07_59_03_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221122_07_59_03_Pro.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 40
From what I have read the drive adapter is the Holy Grail for these, however, I think a motivated machinist could fab a workable adapter...

Interesting, R8 huh? Thanks for response, hopefully OP will concur.
I know a lonely Nichols, free but needs a total refurb, and conceived lots of options for the hand feed cylinder.
I have a super old K&T Universal Horizontal, with some kind of aftermarket vertical head. It swivels and nods, braced by the overarm and doubles RPM's of that machine. It's R8 also.

Interesting, R8 huh? Thanks for response, hopefully OP will concur.
I know a lonely Nichols, free but needs a total refurb, and conceived lots of options for the hand feed cylinder.
I have a super old K&T Universal Horizontal, with some kind of aftermarket vertical head. It swivels and nods, braced by the overarm and doubles RPM's of that machine. It's R8 also.
I have two Nichols Toolroom mills, one of them I completely tore down, cleaned, painted and reassembled. The refurb was straight forward and there is a lot of info on them. I love my Nichols mills. The vertical head is a little clunky to get on and off by yourself but with an extra hand, it is easily mounted.

Good to know; have to do everything on my own anyway. You get good practice developing tooling manipulators. With no plans of retirement,looking forward to Day 1 under power. Built up quite the little array, patterned after every toolroom I've worked in. Includes not putting a DoAll 3613 in a corner......

Actually, I am very surprised to hear of a Nichols vertical head having anything but an NMTB40 spindle! The one shown in the photo at the top of the thread has a endmill toolholder secured in its spindle by the drawbar with the original Nichols drawbar nut. A little known fact about NMTB is that there are two drawbar threads specified/allowed for each taper size. Nichol's own tooling used the smaller thread size, but their drawbars are reversible studs with each end threaded differently, and the drawbar nuts likewise double-ended.
If I encountered a Nichols vertical head that took R8 tooling, I would immediately look for an NMTB40-to-R8 adapter inside the spindle. Degull, when you get a chance, could you provide a photo of your head's spindle?

I’ll be home tomorrow and take a picture of the spindle on my vertical head.
I have only used the vertical head a handful of times. The machine came with R8 collets and I never thought to look for 40 to R8 adapter.

Actually, I am very surprised to hear of a Nichols vertical head having anything but an NMTB40 spindle! <<<<<snipped>>>>>>. Degull, when you get a chance, could you provide a photo of your head's spindle?
I second the vote for pic, though pure R8 won't surprise me; right angle accessory style (not attached to column) drives are generally compact affairs. Combining a bevel gear train, bearings, #40 spindle and casting will be far larger than possible with R8, and it would probably run standard RPM. R8 gives a different range of potential tooling, even for 2nd op, that era's 40NMTB was still dreaming about.

Since NMTB40 collets are pretty rare, an R8 adapter offers a "minimum Z" solution for toolholding on the Nichols (either horizontal spindle or vertical accessory head), where the available Z axis headroom is pretty scanty. For a shop that's not well-equipped with NMTB40 toolholders, an R8 adapter also offers the option of cheaper, more readily available toolholders. But if you've already got a bunch of NMTB40 stuff, I don't see an R8 adapter being very attractive. (Full disclosure: I have lots of NMTB40 and 50 gear in my shop, and not a single piece of R8.)

I have a 1953 Nichols mill with the vertical head also. When the literature was printed for these machines, it shows NMTB40. Included in the lit is the factory adapter for 4NS collets. I have that adapter on my mill. The standard set of collets only go up to 5/8” capacity, although I suppose maybe they may have made emergency collets. I have never seen one as yet.
Bob

Cat40 tools work in the Nichols horizontal spindle. You need a longer draw bar with 5/8-11 threads.
Agreed. At least half my #40 holders are CAT. No apparent dimensional differences,other than grooved flange for tool changers.
All my machinery has same model tool changer; Me!

I've also been looking for one of these, but holy smokes - non-functional vertical head costs more than the entire machine! I hope they made them out of gold or something :D

Back