What's new
What's new

no. 3 barnes or competitor?

TomRyan

Plastic
I have a carriage and headstock for what looks like a Barnes lathe although smaller than a no. 4. I've attached pics showing the 4 carriage next to the unknown smaller one. Construction seems almost identical. Anyone have an idea of what I have?

Thanks

Attachments

• carriage comparison.jpg
    carriage comparison.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cc3.jpg
    cc3.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 21
  • cc 2.jpg
    cc 2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 21
  • cc scale.jpg
    cc scale.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 20
I have a carriage and headstock for what looks like a Barnes lathe although smaller than a no. 4. I've attached pics showing the 4 carriage next to the unknown smaller one. Construction seems almost identical. Anyone have an idea of what I have?

Thanks
The Barnes #3 was a wood lathe that actually had a wood bed - no provision for anything like these. Both of these look like they are for a metal lathe and Barnes at that. Hope this helps.. Ed

Attachments

• Ricks - 1.jpg
    Ricks - 1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 4
The Barnes #3 was a wood lathe that actually had a wood bed - no provision for anything like these. Both of these look like they are for a metal lathe and Barnes at that. Hope this helps.. Ed
I said no. 3 more to indicate the relative size. Definitely works with an iron bed that would be smaller than a no. 4s bed.

I am not that much into Barnes lathes although I do have a No. 5 1/2.
Barnes did have a No. 4 lathe of 7 inch swing.
Neither of these carriages look like they are from a No. 4.
The No. 4 had a completely different carriage.
The smaller one looks like a No. 4 1/2 lathe of 9 inch swing.
The larger one looks like a No. 5 lathe of 11 inch swing.

Rob

Back