What's new
What's new

No clue what lathe I have.

SniperROFL

Plastic
12x36 something… No serial numbers, no stampings, only an Armstrong tool holder. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5030.jpeg
    IMG_5030.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5031.jpeg
    IMG_5031.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5049.jpeg
    IMG_5049.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5054.jpeg
    IMG_5054.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
A stripped down step cone antique lathe of questionable lineage. In other words, a bastard.
What do you want to do with it? Do you have a tailstock for it?
JC

I’ll use to make custom axle housings for electric kayak carts I build and for random stuff around the shop. I do have a tail stock but it swallowed an M2 and was a hair too small for an M3. The spindle is weird too. It’s 10 on something. Smaller than 5/8, bigger than 1 1/2 and not 40mm… I’m turning it down and re-threading it (just enough room if I weld up the threads) to accommodate 1 1/2 - 10.

I’ll use to make custom axle housings for electric kayak carts I build and for random stuff around the shop. I do have a tail stock but it swallowed an M2 and was a hair too small for an M3. The spindle is weird too. It’s 10 on something. Smaller than 5/8, bigger than 1 1/2 and not 40mm… I’m turning it down and re-threading it (just enough room if I weld up the threads) to accommodate 1 1/2 - 10.
Ream it... or bore it.

You could (should?) probably sell that to some hobby guy and buy a lathe of known provenance. You'll be time and money ahead.
That sounds like a good plan.

I notice there are teeth missing on the big gear on the spindle.

Are there any graduations on the cross slide dial? If not, it is going to be difficult to use.

I think Sniper is suggesting welding up the spindle threads and re-cutting - that doesn't sound good to me.

Any chucks?

I got it for pennies, figured I could get some use out of it. I suppose I’ll chock this up as a lesson I’ve been taught my whole life and haven’t yet learned. I will say this though, there are some great deals on lathes and mills up North, but down here in Pensacola finding a decent lathe or mill at a reasonable price is like trying to find an employee that cares about your company like you do… it’s rare. I suppose I’ll do the bare necessities, clean it up and sell it as suggested. Thank you guys for the advice.

I got it for pennies, figured I could get some use out of it. I suppose I’ll chock this up as a lesson I’ve been taught my whole life and haven’t yet learned. I will say this though, there are some great deals on lathes and mills up North, but down here in Pensacola finding a decent lathe or mill at a reasonable price is like trying to find an employee that cares about your company like you do… it’s rare. I suppose I’ll do the bare necessities, clean it up and sell it as suggested. Thank you guys for the advice.
I'd put that on Facebook marketplace as steam punk / industrial art etc etc

Oklahoma is about the same. Be patient, be ready to go for a road trip and have your cash handy is about all I've found to be the answer.

It doesn't look like a franken-lathe to me. The castings and spindle bearing design to me says that lathe is old (like 120+ years). If so the tapers and spindle thread might pre-date the more standardized sizes. It likely isn't valuable, but you might try posting this over in the antique section and see if anyone can identify it. I wouldn't modify it any further until you're sure what you have.

It probably had bronze ID tags at some point, and someone took them off when they last painted it and lot them.

Lathes.UK

Last edited:
don't scrap it just yet,, there is probably some person who will want it. i recently picked up a 2nd SBW lathe from the 20s that nobody knew what is was, and now it will not be scrapped! ( big resto though)

It seems that it has a ball thrust bearing in the spindle. Back then, that was an up-scale feature, found on better makes.

But that one seems to be in back of the rear bearing.... Does not make a lot of sense other than it being added more recently to work with the collet drawtube.

The 3 V and one flat on the bed is an identification point. South Bend traditionally had that, so did some others.

The bed shape from the side is also very much like an old South Bend from maybe1918 to1930 or so. it;s the ends tilting out that suggest that.

Robert Lang has it! 1920's machine it looks like.

Shepard Lathe Co.

It looks like part of the "Quick Change" set-up is broken off, but should still be functional. According the Lathes.UK the tailstock should be a Morse 2 and the headstock should be a 1.5x10 tpi. Can you post pics of these pieces fitting? It might be that the taper is waller'd out, and the spindle might just be a tad undersized, but if a back plate of that size locks up to the register then I wouldn't worry about it.

Back