What's new
What's new

nobody wants my 36x36" surface plate, what to do?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I have an old plate with 4 ledges. It's 36x36" and 8" deep. It has some dings less than 1" and not that many, and it is flat to .0005" according to the guys who last relapped it. It's just too big for my shop, and now I've found the 24x36" plate I really want, I want to get rid of this one. It's about 900 pounds of granite. I don't know of a way to recycle it and if I take it to the city dump the fee would be close to $100. I am about ready to dig a hole in my yard and bury it. At least no weeds would come up through it.

Is there any way it could be cut up into straightedges? Anyone near Seattle want it?

metalmagpie

Donation to a community college? Maybe not for machining? They make nice tables for doing fiberglass and carbon composite lay-ups. They're smooth and flat. Think about it: if you were some college student needing to make custom carbon parts, what would you use as a work surface that would be acceptably smooth? Inspection plates are a good choice.

Last edited:
I am an hour away, would be willing to cut it up into straightedges. -can borrow a friends 10" skill saw, which can reach deep enough from both sides to break in the middle. (Yes its a saw he uses for concrete cutting)

Im thinking 5 or 6, 1.5 to 2 inch thick straightedges would preserve a 24x36" plate, which is more than i need.

Question being who wants a single sided non certified granite straightedge

At least it's a small one, I was at an auction a while back and they could not get a 25.00 bid on a 5' x 10' x 15" granite plate and stand. It was in prefect condition and in inspection!

My personal freight hauler just left Seattle for the early winter migration.. week late, have dollar. At least I got it half way this time.

• Haha
Reactions: Ox

Back