What's new
What's new

Non carbide steel guide bushings and aluminum

TauRunUm

Aluminum
We are running lot of old swiss lathes and in past we did almost all in house like guide bushings with carbide.

But now our toolroom is shadow of old one and we have problem with "newest" guide bushings our folks done. They dont have carbide inserts and aluminium is eating them as snank.

Is there some kind of coating which can be applied inside guide bushing to make steel noticeable more resistant to aluminium?

If there isn't none any recommendations for steel which is most resistant to aluminium or heat treatment which could help even though I doubt we can to it right as I said it is shadow of old toolroom and probably heat treatment wasn't done ok or steel eas rubish or both.

And as last option sny online guide or book which explain how to weld or braze carbide insert to guide bushing?

We plan to buy new with carbide but as I said old machines not easy to get dia we need and also we will wait almost two months so I am looking for solution until we get new ones.

Last edited:
What style of guide bushing are you using? At least ONE of the major manufacturers has to have it available with carbide lands. Have you checked:
Hardinge, KEB Kollets, Southwick and Meister, Schlenker, iSwiss, TTC North America, Floyd Automatic, Neukomm?

What "steel" is the toolroom using? Any hardened tool steel or even med. carbon harden able grades w HT would not be damaged by aluminum. Crappy steel = crappy results. Someone in the toolroom needs to read a book. This will do.

There are places Ali will destroy steel, the first suprise was nitrided extrusion dies, I didn’t think they could be worn by Ali, I was wrong, it can eat them by abrasion and by electrochemical corrosion I discovered, the world suprises me regularly
Mark

What style of guide bushing are you using? At least ONE of the major manufacturers has to have it available with carbide lands. Have you checked:
Hardinge, KEB Kollets, Southwick and Meister, Schlenker, iSwiss, TTC North America, Floyd Automatic, Neukomm?

We can get guide bushings but it take lot of time for dia we are doing and machines we are using. We have lot of old bushings it is short ones type A for swiss lathes like strohm, tornos etc but those buisnings aren't good at all. This is why I am looking for solution to make them at least somewhat more resistant to Aluminium corrosion because I expect that is what is happening.

Back