What's new
What's new

O/T - 1.8 Megawatts controlled with an iPad

An old family friend (now deceased) was an electrical engineer, and worked on the integration of the first
radio controls to locomotives, for coal dumping.

He told me one day "You know, there's 4400 hp, all being held back with a (1) electron thick layer of P/N junction".

I don't know how your system could fail, it's not my job.

But I doo cringe when I see something that (that I think) should
have a more robust control, albeit a "large lever" or "big knob".

And I doo know, yelling at us, and chest thumping is not conducive
to helping get buy in from us.

I guess what occurs to me is that there are tons of very sophisticated CNC machines that are hardwired to computer controls. The control achieved is the source of amazement for most of us as evidenced by the ongoing thread "Have and cool metalworking photos?" But all of those fancy machines have, so far as I know, E-Stop buttons which, independent of the primary control system, shut off power to the device. Here is a quote from a reg concerning lifting cranes:

"[FONT=&quot]29 CFR 1910.179(a)(59) defines "emergency stop switch" as a manually or automatically operated electric switch to cut off electric power independently of the regular operating controls.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]29 CFR 1910.179(a)(61) defines "main switch" as a switch controlling the entire power supply to the crane."

I hope the wave pool in question has such a "lever" big red switch etc accessible to all (like they have at gas stations, as an example). Otherwise the scenario posted in post 30 above seems all too possible and just plain gruesome. After all, if an emergency shutdown because of malfunction is needed, then relying on a malfunctioning automation system to properly shut down the pumps seems difficult to understand.

Denis[/FONT]

An old family friend (now deceased) was an electrical engineer, and worked on the integration of the first
radio controls to locomotives, for coal dumping.

He told me one day "You know, there's 4400 hp, all being held back with a (1) electron thick layer of P/N junction".

I don't know how your system could fail, it's not my job.

But I doo cringe when I see something that (that I think) should
have a more robust control, albeit a "large lever" or "big knob".

And I doo know, yelling at us, and chest thumping is not conducive
to helping get buy in from us.

It makes you nervous that their is no large knob or lever labeled "wave size"? That is your big complaint?

I didn't see any yelling or chest thumping, just a basic explanation that the concerns people had voice had been considered and dealt with.

Did you ever consider that if your defense is "I don't know how your system could fail, it's not my job" then maybe you shouldn't commenting on how you think it will fail?

Edit: Are people really assuming their are no E-stops for this? Have any of you ever been to an amusement or water park? Hell the county fair rides have E-stops, you just have to get the stoned carnie to hit it.

digger - again, the idea of the post was to highlight technology in the entertainment world. The same technology is used in new ski lift drive system installations, toilet paper winders, robotic work cells, and CNC laser welders that we produce.

Perhaps I should do a post about safety . . . a customer’s employee lost a finger on a 70’s vintage turret lathe. Insurance company prevented them from using their turret lathes until a suitable safety system was installed. $40k and 3 weeks later we completed installation of a safety guarding system on one lathe that met all modern safety requirements sited by dgfoster above using the ISO 13849-1 and related standards acceptable to the insurance company. This was followed up by safety systems installed on remaining turret lathes and VTL. All under a time crunch and my guess is that most folks on this site would think it ridiculous to spend well into 6 figures putting safety systems on a group of machines that would not likely fetch more than scrap value at auction today. But when your business depends on those machines tooled up and operating and orders need filling . . . you spend the money when your insurance company has you backed in the corner.

From a decade ago when we were coming online with a safety offering. Machine Safety

Google is your friend. We studied it and turned it into a big part of our business. Look up ISO 13849, SIL and PL ratings related to safety systems. Here is a reasonably short article that gives a quick overview . . . What's the difference between PL and SIL machine safety standards?

The iPad relays a hardwired HMI located in a control tower overlooking the pool. Hardwired E-stops located around the facility. All specified in accordance with a HIRA audit conducted in conjunction with the required safety specification referenced above.

There is more to safety systems than most people realize and they are a key element to every machine and control system we produce.

Last edited:
digger - again, the idea of the post was to highlight technology in the entertainment world. The same technology is used in new ski lift drive system installations, toilet paper winders, robotic work cells, and CNC laser welders that we produce.

Google is your friend. Look up ISO 13849, SIL and PL ratings related to safety systems. Here is a reasonably short article that gives a quick overview What's the difference between PL and SIL machine safety standards?

The iPad relays a hardwired HMI located in a control tower overlooking the pool. Hardwired E-stops located around the facility. All specified in accordance with a HIRA audit conducted in conjunction with the required safety specification linked above.

There is more to safety systems than most people realize.

Ya, I have no idea why I did not Google ISO 13849 and pore through the hundreds of pages to find the applicable paragraphs regarding E-Stops! That’s a good one.

Seems like it could have been easy for the OP to have s.imply noted the inclusion of manual overrides in response to one of the many posts raising safety concern. I can’t find an answer in Google for that question. I’m the answer it’s there under some ISO about obfuscation. ;-)

Denis

MG: Your work is unbelievable

Everyone else: Some of you are unbelievable.

I know it's cooling off in areas of the US that aren't Florida... But is Seasonal Affective Disorder kicking in for some of you already? Y'all seem more crotchety than usual.

MG: Your work is unbelievable

Everyone else: Some of you are unbelievable.

I know it's cooling off in areas of the US that aren't Florida... But is Seasonal Affective Disorder kicking in for some of you already? Y'all seem more crotchety than usual.

It seems some people don't understand how encryption works..??? It IS possible to make a system so insanely secure that no one but the IRS could get their noses in.

Motion, I would take a pay cut for the privilege to be involved in projects like that.......:cloud9:

Really easy to criticize the guy who actually does it and gets it done... Guess what you grumpy old bastards, all this tech is here to stay. Go pound some keys on your Fanuc 0 and read that grimy 8 bit screen.. its 2020.

I've got to ask, what would be the result if this thing were hacked?

Pumps shut off, wave stops, guy on surfboard just stands there? Or heaven forbid, falls in the water. This thing is at a water park, right? Where people are expected to get into the water.

Or what if pumps go into hyperdrive? More water comes out, pushes surfer guy over the wave and into the pool.

MotionGuru already mentioned a lifeguard that stands by the pool. I'm not arguing about hacking systems, but I think the failure results are being overblown. People willingly go do the same thing in an OCEAN that isn't controlled by anyone, with bigger waves, further away from lifeguards, with flesh eating animals in the water.

Back