What's new
What's new

O/T Battleship Texas

Garwood

Diamond
Cool! I went on the basic tour of the Missouri. Didn't get to see the engine rooms, but turbine-powered ships aren't as interesting to me as big recips on the Texas. If you ever get a chance to tour the Texas, the engines are amazing! (I guess I should say "engine" since they only let people into the starboard engine room at the time.)

The Texas was state of the art in 1914, but by WWII, some of the cruisers were bigger (at least longer). She had heavier guns and armor than a cruiser, far from Iowa-class.

The recips would be amazing for sure!

I served in gas turbine powered ships, so the steam turbines are still pretty neat to me. The Missouri boilers were huge. Iirc, there were two turbines per screw and 4 screws. I remember the Missouri engine rooms and the turbines were not very big for the power they made, they really weren't much different in terms of size compared to the 1970's era gas turbines used on the ship I was on. I remember all the piping and valves in the steam engine room was overwhelming. Valves everywhere. Quite the sight.

old_dave

Hot Rolled
A couple weeks ago the battleship was moved to a shipyard in Galveston, TX.

Updates from the official site:

Some news and links of the moving:

and here:

I didn't get to watch any of the moving myself. But by a lucky coincidence I happened to be swinging a Detroit 16v71 into a supply vessel very close to Gulf Copper shipyard where the battleship was dry docked, directly after the move.

During sea trial of the supply vessel, we were able to swing past the shipyard, and I got a few pics of the battleship in dry dock. Night time shots, but lighting in the dry dock was pretty good.

View attachment 375463 View attachment 375465 View attachment 375466 View attachment 375468 View attachment 375467
I wouldn't call those night time shots "pretty good", I'd call them absolutely stunning, especially the last two. Thank you very much for these.

David

4GSR

Diamond
A old friend of mine here where I live told me that he and a couple others went with the school shop teacher up to Port Author, Texas back in the 1970's. They removed a 10" South Bend lathe from a old Navy vessel that was moth balled there. They had to take it apart in pieces to remove it and brought it back to Victoria for the school shop. Of course the school machine shop is no more.