What's new
What's new

O/T Change of format for this 'Board

JST

Diamond
And......... THAT's DONE! read threads are now in background. Thanks, fast work, and appreciated.

morsetaper2

Diamond
Bring back the option to change the style & look of the forum. Not fond at all of the "standard" look of this new forum. Would be nice to be able to customize the "look & style" by the end user.

Bring back the option to change the style & look of the forum. Not fond at all of the "standard" look of this new forum. Would be nice to be able to customize the "look & style" by the end user.
You are fighting city hall. The look and style is to deliver advertisements. Used to be that some ISPs and businesses either blocked or changed the ads to their own or removed them entirely.

That's what the 's' in 'https' is designed to prevent. Yes, it's about security -- but not you or my security. It's about the advertisements' security.

You used to be able to substitute your own CSS (cascading style sheets, that's what sets the layout of a website) to your own with a simple proxy but don't know if it's still possible. Definitely going to be harder now, even if you can still do it.

You can still block the ads tho :D

thermite

Diamond
That part is in two separate "containers".

- "More than one" option the site developer provides. Or NOT.

- Any option you care to code an over-ride for, your browser and website-specific.

For a hint, see;

And a few booksful, more.

Mind.. not ALL browsers are even .css-aware...

Attachments

• PM_2022-06-29_01-28-45.png
    PM_2022-06-29_01-28-45.png
    104 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

morsetaper2

Diamond
You are fighting city hall. The look and style is to deliver advertisements. Used to be that some ISPs and businesses either blocked or changed the ads to their own or removed them entirely.

That's what the 's' in 'https' is designed to prevent. Yes, it's about security -- but not you or my security. It's about the advertisements' security.

You used to be able to substitute your own CSS (cascading style sheets, that's what sets the layout of a website) to your own with a simple proxy but don't know if it's still possible. Definitely going to be harder now, even if you can still do it.

You can still block the ads tho :D
I spend a lot of time at another forum, advrider.com which also runs the same Xenforo as the forum software and you can still customize the "style" for your liking. I'm no software guy, but if they can do it, why can't PM forum do it? Advrider.com runs plenty of ads, I see other advrider.com users bitching about them, but I don't see any them :-)

thermite

Diamond
I spend a lot of time at another forum, advrider.com which also runs the same Xenforo as the forum software and you can still customize the "style" for your liking. I'm no software guy, but if they can do it, why can't PM forum do it?

There is no "technical" barrier, no. Whether DB driven, templated, or static, coded in perl, php, ruby-on-rails, python, compiled-C or Glasgow Haskell, a website - or the toolset for building a site - had to start from a blank page at SOME point.

IOW ALL options existed. And generally do not vanish.

Even a purely static page can be rendered per end-luser choices .. or have all or portions converted/substituted. See 'privoxy', for one example if custom .css are not comprehensive enough for your wishes.

Site owner/manager "decisions" are a separate animal.

(S)he who feels enough NEED of extensive change to "cosmetic appearance" quite reasonably has to lift the load of making the changes at THEIR end.. at the rendering and display point.

I actually DID that.... for the old site.. Uber-complex .css to suit my need for far faster and easier reading and navigation.

I can no longer be bothered to do it for this one. All I have done is use a browser told to NOT load ANY graphics files.

BFD. To view a member's posted graphic, all I need to do is "open in new tab" and THEN it loads.

Good enough to lighten bandwidth load and regain some of the lost speed.
Got what I came for long since. Diminishing returns as screen-time now eats too much out of project time.

Such is life. Ever-changing environment. Ever-changing priorities, yah?

Last edited:

thermite

Diamond
Ahhh.... Thermite, you are still here! Nice to read you fella.
"Igualmente".

Getting harder, ain't it?

There's a CVS pharmacy with an auto-outcall "AI" (Artificial Idiot) that was for many months called me twice a day to tell me my perscription was ready for pickup.

For about a week, now, the Artificial Idiot has started telling me they cannot fill my prescription.

Must be a sign of "globalization", given I haven't had any prescriptions to BE filled since "Slick Willie" Clinton was President. And that prescription was in Hong Kong!