What's new
What's new

O/T If you feel like shit, get your Thyroid checked

Seaweed is pretty high in iodine, apparently. Japanese tend to eat dried seaweed with rice, at least the folks I know, so maybe there is a connection there.

PS: seaweed is not bad with rice, interesting taste

Seaweeds are eaten in japan fresh, raw, or dried. It is high in iodine, pretty high in protein, and has other vitamins and minerals. likely people could harvest it on the USA coast at a profit, but also likely the DNR would not let you do that. I went once with the DNR to the out islands off California to check on the condition of seaweed, we found it in good health.

Excessive iodine intake and iodine deficiency cause a lot of body problems, many of those problems can not be corrected with iodine modification after the fact in my non-professional opinion.

One might think of stepping in front of a semi-truck if you had thought to not do that then problems could have been avoided.

I am not a doctor, and would never suggest an excessive amount of iodine, but it has been documented the Japanese ingest 1000 to 3000 MG in their diet. Way more than the USA recommends (150 micrograms or so). I think it is important to try to have the USA recommendation or deficiency and ill health may occur (in my non-professional opinion).

For good health, I think people should look at the list of high iodine foods, and then try to include them in their normal diet.

A short list of those foods:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EIedFmRn...1QDwCLcB/s1600/10+Foods+Highest+in+Iodine.png

You can NOT cure (or manage) an autoimmue disease by eating or not eating some kind of particular food.

Full disclosure: I take 137 micrograms of synthetic thyroxin every day. Auto-immune hashimoto's. Also pernicious anemia, so B12 taken. And vitiligo. But the hair is
mostly white anyway these days! Interestingly all those auto-immune features tend to hang out together...

I believe autoimmune stuff responds best to physical activity and avoiding certain foods.

Wheat is a killer for me, but sometimes dairy can bother me too. I never feel good the day after I eat a big steak, but I feel great after eating wild salmon.

I believe I'm more reactive to what I eat than the average person. I've never been able to eat mcdonalds or Taco Bell. Even when I was solid muscle right out of boot camp at 19, if I ate a Mcdonalds burger I'd feel like sleeping the rest of the day.

You can NOT cure (or manage) an autoimmue disease by eating or not eating some kind of particular food.

Full disclosure: I take 137 micrograms of synthetic thyroxin every day. Auto-immune hashimoto's. Also pernicious anemia, so B12 taken. And vitiligo. But the hair is
mostly white anyway these days! Interestingly all those auto-immune features tend to hang out together...

Yep, it's totally true that you'll never cure your autoimmune conditions if never realize that every one of the fruits, vegetables, and grains in the grocery stores that your doctors recommend you eat are the inventions of mankind and do not exist in nature. Go in the wilderness and figure out what exists there that you could survive on. There are no carrots, celery, or potatoes, no wheat or barley or quinoa, no strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries in January... The primary source of net-energy foods throughout most of the year are animals. The dumping of human inventions down your neck instead of food might have something to do with why your body has decided to attack itself.

The so-called incurable diseases are often curable if you get out of nature's way and eat a diet consonant with being human. You wouldn't expect a wolf to thrive on a veggie-filled diet, so why should you screw yourself over with that same nonsense when humans are apex carnivores with stomach acid profiles more similar to hyenas and vultures than to any of the animals that do survive on significant amounts of vegetable matter? Fuck *all* the vegetables and grains. Eat only fat, meat, fish, and marrow for six months and find out for yourself if your trusted, certified, official "health professionals" know wtf they're talking about.

I agree it is most likely that no food will cure an illness. It has been noted that certain diets may help to avoid certain illnesses.

And If one eats 8 big slices of pizza every day for a couple of yeats that person's health might have a problem

If accepting the advice in post #26, it will help significantly if you also live the lifestyle that goes with that..... always outdoors, lots of exercise, huge calorie burn every day.

Y... The dumping of human inventions down your neck instead of food might have something to do with why your body has decided to attack itself.

So let me get this straight: I have penicious anemia because I eat crap. And my dad has it for the same reason. And *his* father likewise. So what about his mother, who died of it, around 1910? Did she have pernicious anemia because she ate crap food, too?

Basically your ideas about this, are likewise complete crap.

Vitamin B12 deficiency anemia - Wikipedia

And damn, I just went through that entire article, and NOTHING about eating crap food. So my last assertion stands.

I do agree that the whole 'fruits and vegetables' schtick is bullshit. In fact, any diet that exalts any food as a 'superfood' is bullshit. But you don't see many people adopting the lofty attitude that eating plenty of meat will make you better than everyone else.

It also ties in that if you read the nutritional information of fruits and vegetables, it runs counter to the idea that these foods are good for you. Most vegetables have few calories, no protein, and really not much else of nutritional value.

I think genetics plays a bigger part in this kind of stuff than some special diet. I eat very little to zero processed food, eat fresh fish a couple times a week, drink tons of water and probably drink a 6 pack of beer a year.

I'm not an unhealthy person.

I know a few people that eat out 2 meals a day, and go through a half gallon of whiskey a week and are fairly healthy in their 80's. Hell, just last summer a friend of mine died unexpectedly at 39 and his mom died at 76 two weeks after. He had some minor health problems, but his mom smoked 4 packs a day for 50 years, lived on canned tamales and only left a couch to use the bathroom 20 feet away. I think she could have lived to be 90 or more if her son didn't die.

My point is I am doubtful that stressing about some stupid, impossible diet is going to make a difference in your health.

I do agree that the whole 'fruits and vegetables' schtick is bullshit. In fact, any diet that exalts any food as a 'superfood' is bullshit. But you don't see many people adopting the lofty attitude that eating plenty of meat will make you better than everyone else.

It also ties in that if you read the nutritional information of fruits and vegetables, it runs counter to the idea that these foods are good for you. Most vegetables have few calories, no protein, and really not much else of nutritional value.

Try again. Veggies are not particularly jam packed with macro nutrients, but they are typically excellent sources of micro nutrients, especially leafy greens. Then you got your legumes which play in their own league. For example, lentils literally contain more potassium than they do dietary fat. If you eat lentils it's not for the calories per se, they are for the fiber and that sweet sweet bio-available mineral content.

I ate vegetarian (NOT vegan) for 5 years because my schedule was crazy and thawing meat rarely ended well.

I ate a lot of lentils and rice, with onions, red cabbage and spices. Usually got grains in there with corn or flour tortillas, and some cheese.

No dietary deficiency there.... the lentils and rice were complete protein. I was also giving blood, and when they checked the density, the drops clunked to the bottom. They usually then asked if I ate a lot of meat.... When I told them I was not eating ANY meat, they were surprised. Apparently the lentils etc had plenty of iron.

BTW, the Roman army ate lentils and grain. Kept well, and was available to them.

Fad diets, "Paleo", Keto, etc, that claim to be "natural" are just so much plain bravo sierra.

The general point, that eating a certain magic bean will cure you of type 1 diabetes or multiple sclerosis, I accept. And given that we have oral meds (like levothyroxine), certainly one might expect some foods to affect autoimmune diseases. Too, the gut biota have a profound effect on physiology and neurology and inflammation. So I suspect diet probably can be used to moderate some autoimmune diseases. And diet affects gut biota, which probably affects disease state.

If I had an issue like this, I'd get checked out by a doc, and peruse the interweb to see what people thinks. Mostly refereed science journals, though, not some guy selling "THE MIRACLE CURE FOR PSORIASIS - BASED ON TURNIPS!!!! BUY OUR CONCENTRATED TURNIP WONDER PILLS!". Too, I agree with you on many autoimmune diseases (like T1D and MS) - I don't believe that there are diet-based cures.

Here's a journal article on diet effects on autoimmune diseases that seemed to have a pretty balanced, informative tone:
Role of “Western Diet” in Inflammatory Autoimmune Diseases

QT [BTW, the Roman army ate lentils and grain. Kept well, and was available to them.]
And the used plantain for all kinds of ailments. That is the very common scrub weed you find in your driveway cracks and in your lawn, just about all over the world.
Colds, bug bites, sores, open blisters, infections, overweight, illnesses(that are better handled by a doctor).

A good diet, iodine-rich foods, and the like can help to avoid some illnesses. but when you have an illness a doctor is usually the best choice. Many medicines are made from herbs but the best dosage, the best selection and the correct diagnoses is often best a doctor's dealing.

I once read about a 10-year-old girl who was playing hide and seek when she was bitten by a black mamba. They decided to treat her with traditional remedies..and she died.
The local hospital could have provided an antidote (likely more expensive than she was worth?)

plantain photo - Bing

A good diet, *****, and the like can help to avoid some illnesses. but when you have an illness a doctor is usually the best choice. ]

Well that I agree on. The doctor diagnosted the hashimoto's, and the pernicious anemia.

Do NOT TAKE extra iodine if you have hashimoto's. Read the wikipedia article, it's a no-no.

Well that I agree on. The doctor diagnosted the hashimoto's, and the pernicious anemia.

Do NOT TAKE extra iodine if you have hashimoto's. Read the wikipedia article, it's a no-no.

I found this, but know very little about the subject. I would not suggest a treatment for any disease.
I would say to not take extra iodine through supplements, but be sure your levels are correct with a proper diet, not deficient.

Worldwide, the most common cause of hypothyroidism is iodine deficiency. However, Hashimoto thyroiditis remains the most common cause of spontaneous hypothyroidism in areas of adequate iodine intake. The annual incidence of Hashimoto thyroiditis worldwide is estimated to be 0.3-1.5 cases per 1000 persons. [15, 16, 12]

and this:
Dr Yoon from Korea noted that Hashimotos thyroiditis is reversible for some patients.(2) He points out that Hashimoto’s was more prevalent in Iodine replete areas that have introduced salt iodination programs (18), and less prevalent in iodine deficient regions, so he speculated that perhaps Iodine levels had something to do with spontaneous recovery from Hashimotos.(7) Dr. Yoon thought Iodine restriction would be beneficial, and he did a study on Iodine Restriction in Korea in 2003 to try to prove his point. (1)

I think genetics plays a bigger part in this kind of stuff than some special diet.

My grandmother ate 3 meals a day of what would be considered a very poor diet these days, she always ate desert and the cookie jar was always full. Lots of syrup, gravy and butter on everything, fried chicken was a specialty of the house. She was widowed at 62, lived alone till she was 97 without assistance of any kind. Lived to be 99. She did not smoke or drink alcohol. I met a guy who was 97 looked 75, still up and walking at a decent pace, he said he had smoked 4 cigars a day and drank a pint of whiskey daily since he was 20. He was smoking when I met him and had a flask in his jacket.

Good diet and good exercise help plenty.

But, it's hard to evade genetics.

No. doctors are not always right, nor do they always have the tools needed. They may misdiagnose, they may not yet understand the disease correctly (plenty of those diseases), or there may just not be a good treatment (there are those diseases also). They are working from what they know and they may not know everything needed.

It's always worth giving the smarter doctors a shot at whatever you have, though. There is a lot of research being done. If they don't help, then move on if you wish.

I'd not discount them without trying, though. They are not all "pill doctors", and for many things, the right pills can help.

It's no more true that they don't know what they are doing, than it is that they know everything and should be trusted regardless.

Back