What's new
What's new

O T vise stand

1yesca

Stainless
here is the vise stand i have been working on from the top down the flange for the vise is from a ford f250 4x front wheel hub the 3-1/2" colum and mounting hub is from a drill press the bottom hub is off of a semi truck the only thing left is to bolt an old brake drum on to the hub and mount the vise and its done

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    947.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
here is the vise stand i have been working on from the top down the flange for the vise is from a ford f250 4x front wheel hub the 3-1/2" colum and mounting hub is from a drill press the bottom hub is off of a semi truck the only thing left is to bolt an old brake drum on to the hub and mount the vise and its done
May I suggest filling the drum with heavy scrap iron and concrete - the extra weight makes all the difference - yet you can still roll them round the shop

Nice job😁

Limy's tip is probably the only way it can be of much use. I have one at work I rolled into the storeroom because as DDoug alluded to, it flops all over the place when you are trying to hold something on purpose. Plus, the truck wheel is exactly the correct diameter to trip over when you are trying to get a heavy something into it and reach the handle at the same time. They sure look cool, though!

Nice repurposing. Forget the brake drum and just lag the post to the floor, nothing to trip over and you can clamp most anything you want to it without it falling over.

You obviously don't use your vice the way I doo....
Right... it needs to be anchored to something immovable. I think that's why they call them "bench vises", isn't it?
Put a piece of steel in the jaws in order to put a bend in it...the whole thing is going to twist around or tip.. vertically or horizontally.
A wheel rim for a base doesn't allow the user to stand in a comfortable position to use the thing.
The setup shown may "look" good, but it's impractical.

My outdoor unit is an old camelback drill that I cut the top off of (the upper works were unsalvageable, missing most of its parts). Top 1' or so of the column is filled with hydraulic cement with a captive plate tapped for the three 1/2" flathead screws securing the plate on top. The top plate is offset on the column to hopefully shield the elevation mechanism from most of the rain, that mostly works- I keep that bucket on top of the column in any case. The little anvil on top is a garage cleanout find that I held onto. Plate is drilled and tapped for the bench vise to go on if desired. The railroad rail anvil and Reed vise from the same cleanout...

The table elevation screw and clamp work fine though I've not often had occasion to change table height OTOH I spin the table a lot- that has been very handy and avoids needing to spin the vise.

small-IMG_20230414_094223.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously don't use your vice the way I doo....
its for a friend that drives a semi truck that wants a vise at the yard were he stores his rig so he can work on things the lower hub is off of his rig and the upper hub is of his serves truck and the colum and base are off of an old gang drill press set just something to help a pal out

Limy's tip is probably the only way it can be of much use. I have one at work I rolled into the storeroom because as DDoug alluded to, it flops all over the place when you are trying to hold something on purpose. Plus, the truck wheel is exactly the correct diameter to trip over when you are trying to get a heavy something into it and reach the handle at the same time. They sure look cool, though!
it won't use a wheel but a brake drum so it will work just fine have made them before with plate and pipe and note taken about the concrete

Right... it needs to be anchored to something immovable. I think that's why they call them "bench vises", isn't it?
Put a piece of steel in the jaws in order to put a bend in it...the whole thing is going to twist around or tip.. vertically or horizontally.
A wheel rim for a base doesn't allow the user to stand in a comfortable position to use the thing.
The setup shown may "look" good, but it's impractical.
the guy just wants something to hold a part here and there as he is working on his truck not rebuild the titanic fro what his is going to do it will work just fine and ya he don't use his vise like you do !

Last edited:
My main vise is bolted to a steel table that weighs a bunch. My portable vise is bolted to a piece of scrap channel that is welded to the base of an old cast iron restaurant table...4 legs that spread out about 24". It works well for most stuff, but not anything that twists. The key to just about any good base is how far the effective spread of the legs are....the bigger the better. If you had a spread of 3 miles, you could make the base out of sheetmetal.

Putting a vise on a stand that can flop all over has never made sense to me.

Mount it solid. Then it's useful.
it can only flop over if you don't know it limitations ! fear is a lack of understanding ! its not a brake , its not a counter balances . its to hold a 4" vise not the world

We have them set up both ways in our shop, though most are on a bench. There are times where you need to get around a vise and they're just the ticket. I've got one in my garage at home because the base is a bit sentimental and it works for my garage shop needs. I just know that anything done on the moving bases either needs to be light/medium duty, or be thoughtful with which direction I'm hammering or yanking on it. The bench vise gets the majority of the use otherwise.

If you have a stand like this and attach it to a piece of 1/4" plate that is big enough so you are standing on it when using the vise then the vise wont spin when using it. You are trying to spin it against itself when on the plate base. Its easy enough to slide across concrete floor as well.

If you have a stand like this and attach it to a piece of 1/4" plate that is big enough so you are standing on it when using the vise then the vise wont spin when using it. You are trying to spin it against itself when on the plate base. Its easy enough to slide across concrete floor as well.
That was going to be my next suggestion.

However, at best they are a handy aid to have near the work, but like a tow hitch vise mount on your truck, far from the best but very useful

Back