What's new
What's new

O/T What's the best wood glue for furniture

I'm a turner with about 20,000 hours experience, and I keep 7 glues in my shop at all times for bonding wood: 4 types of epoxies, Titebond II, Gorilla Glue, and thin cyanoacrylic. Also, I keep cheap white glue on hand to seal 'wet' wood.

Bonding wood is a complex subject, and many types of glues have their place. In many instances, the preparation is as important as the glue: thickness of the glue seam, clamping pressure, 'freshness' of the edges to be glued, temperature during application and curing, etc. Whole books are written on bonding wood, and the U.S. Forest Products Lab used to have some fine publications of the pros and cons of various glues.

[Since I'm a slow typist, it would take me week to spell out why I have 4 types of epoxies of varying hardnesses, viscosities, etc., so I won't even try.]

Best wishes with your project. Tom

One of the premier professional woodworkers in America, Frank Klaus, uses Elmer's School glue (as long as it's fresh, as with most glues) for most of his work. A gentleman in a seminar he was teaching went home after the first session and glued up two 2x2 oak boards. The next day, the gentleman brought them in, Mr. Klaus put them in a vise and struck them with a hammer. The wood broke, away from the glue line.

Any of the polyurethane glues will be waterproof, but you can think of them like metals in that flexible and weak go together. The poly's can handle shock, but not much force.

Use what your willing to eat when making breadboards and such.

Cheers,

Ned

Back