What's new
What's new

odies oil shelf life

porthos

Aluminum
i think that odies oil is good stuff. however i'm tired of it turning to chunky jelly in a short time. the last that i bought ; i poured into 3/4 oz glass bottles, thinking that will stop the jelling process. (i don't mind the jelling, but, it gets big chunks also) the small bottles also got chunky. pretty sure that there is no cure for this; but i am sending this thread just to "vent"

How long can I let my Odie’s sit on a shelf once opened?

Odie’s immediately starts to harden once it is opened, but it does have a very long shelf life, especially if you replace the lid as often and as quickly as possible. If you come back to see that there is a hard layer on top, you can dig below it to get to the usable portion of the jar. Once Odie’s has hardened, there is no way to reconstitute it.

i have a unopened jar of the stuff and it is unshakeable in the jar. as i said i have transferred it to small bottles and it hardens. again, at the price i won't buy more for that reason. the product that i like best is velvit oil. takes a little longer but a flawless finish

Don't know about oldies in particular but drying oils and Varnish dry with exposure to oxygen and uv. Eliminating the air in the can is the key using a clear jar is bad.
My Dad swears by topping up cans of Varnish with water. The Varnish floats on top and as long as you pick up the Varnish from the top carefully with a brush it works. I have had mixed results with this method. Cheap glass marbles can be used to tthe can up. Barrier sprays or argon co2 mix from the welder before you close the can also help.

I just ordered a couple of these StopLossBags to try and save these finishes. Supposed to work pretty well, maybe in a year I'll remeber to update this thread! If you've got a welder filling it with Argon seems like a no brainer.

I will say I don't understand the recent popularity of these oil/wax finishes. Odie's, Rubio, Osmo, Tried and True and so on. I bought a couple quarts to try out and wasn't overly impressed with them. They seem like just a recent fad.

jaguar: i used to be in the wood finish business. i know that i have in excess of 24 wood finishes. when all is said and done i can eliminate 20 of them. my best guess is that there is a lot of $ to be made making these products. odies being at the top of the list.

Not suprising, $60 for a quart of linseed oil and some wax leaves alot of money left over for marketing. Odie’s seem particularly proficient at marketing.

I just ordered a couple of these StopLossBags to try and save these finishes. Supposed to work pretty well, maybe in a year I'll remeber to update this thread! If you've got a welder filling it with Argon seems like a no brainer.

I will say I don't understand the recent popularity of these oil/wax finishes. Odie's, Rubio, Osmo, Tried and True and so on. I bought a couple quarts to try out and wasn't overly impressed with them. They seem like just a recent fad.

Whelp, that was a disaster. Tried filling a stoplossbag with Tried and True finish last night. The nozzle is just way too small on it. Could only use a tiny funnel and it took forever to fill. Worst part was that to pour the finish slowly enough it would just run down the edge of the can rather than pour so it made a huge mess. I think I got more finish on my bench than in the bag. On the upside, I finally got around to putting a coat of finish on my workbench!

WTF is Odie's?
It's the latest trendy wood finish. Mix of linseed (and/or Tung oil) and wax.

From their website: "Food Safe, Solvent Free, Non-toxic Wood Finish and Stabilizer. Easy to Use. Waterproofs. Lustrous Sheen In One Coat. It is also the perfect finish for leather, concrete, plastic, vinyl and metal." Should probably add it to your cornflakes for breakfast too!

I was particularly irritated to learn that the creator isn't even named Odysseus Cornwall.

I've been using the stuff they sell for preserving opened wine bottles, probably the same as Bloxygen. Has work great for polymerized tung oil and the old McCloskeys bartop varnish.

Back