What's new
What's new

OEM Repair/Inspection Service, equipment destroyed. Who is responsible?

I've got to jump on the attack FedEx bandwagon.
I've got a small, lightweight, low value item being shipped from California to Kansas.
After a week I finally remembered buying the product and thought I should track it because it hadn't shown up yet.
I don't think much of their tracking app. About as bad as the Post Office. I don't think the parcels are actually scanned very often during transit. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of updates.
For the last 3 days I've used the phone app to try to get up-to-date location info... but about all it would tell me was "delay" and no updated info. It seems like it comes in bursts... makes me think the truck driver parked his truck at the truckstop and left with some lot lizard for a day or two and just left everyone's stuff setting there....
Capture.PNG
I attempted to "chat" to find the cause of the delay, and there is no human on there...just A.I.
I continually typed in "representative" or "agent" when I got nowhere... and it gave a phone number.... which led to an A.I. powered roadblock.
There is no talking to a human to ask what is causing the delay.
From now on, I'm going to request "no fedex", myself.

Last edited:
I waited 8 days for four of these strain relief things from a place out in California. It took FedEx that long to get them here.

20230920_173049.jpg20230920_173120.jpg
It took me about a week of fumbling around on the internet to find the right type that would fit in this old Black & Decker Wildcat grinder. I've got three of these things, and each one of them has a bad cord on it so I scoured the internet and finally found originally equipment cords, then it took me about a week of digging around to figure out that evidently these strain relief items have a letter designation for different diameters... that I was oblivious to.
Turns out it's a letter n with that square shank, which seems to be not very common... after all that waiting and digging and searching and shopping...it takes eight days for the goddamn things to get here.
It all came together and I got my grinder fixed today. Now I can continue working on what I needed the grinder for..

Last edited:
It all came together and I got my grinder fixed today. Now I can continue working on what I needed the grinder for..
Don't tell me you are going into the camshaft business too :(

(btw, I've tracked stuff at the post office. I didn't think it was that bad. Told me every major hop the thing made, and didn't lie like UPS does ... )

The very worst courier service ,couldnt be contacted once they left the dread "you were out" card .......you had to get in your car and drive around until you spotted the franchised white van......anyhoo,I see they have now 'partnered' with Australia Post to provide the parcel delivery service.

That really sucks! The shipper is at fault, but if they will take no responsibilty legal recourse seems the only response. Maybe a strong letter from a lawyer will shake their shit loose. Not too costly for you, and if they don't respond it's up to you how far to proceed.

For the future, stipulate no FEDEX. At least in my area they are the worst of the worst. Deliveries any time night or day THROWN against whatever they can hit and seemingly no way to solve the problem. My old neighbor was a long time FEDEX driver and he made it apparent the culture encourages not giving a damn.

This can make for some interesting reads at times. https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedexers/

I waited 8 days for four of these strain relief things from a place out in California. It took FedEx that long to get them here.

View attachment 409208View attachment 409209
It took me about a week of fumbling around on the internet to find the right type that would fit in this old Black & Decker Wildcat grinder. I've got three of these things, and each one of them has a bad cord on it so I scoured the internet and finally found originally equipment cords, then it took me about a week of digging around to figure out that evidently these strain relief items have a letter designation for different diameters... that I was oblivious to.
Turns out it's a letter n with that square shank, which seems to be not very common... after all that waiting and digging and searching and shopping...it takes eight days for the goddamn things to get here.
I have one of those grinders that needed brushes about 15 years ago. I went to a local place and the guy at the counter looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, "I sent my last set up to Alaska when they were still building the pipeline"! I bought a larger set and cut them down.

I have one of those grinders that needed brushes about 15 years ago. I went to a local place and the guy at the counter looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, "I sent my last set up to Alaska when they were still building the pipeline"! I bought a larger set and cut them down.

I've done that also, but watch out if you're not aware: some brush material is near zero resistance and some has intentionally built-in resistance. It makes a major difference to the motor. For negligible resistance brushes I use carbon air arc rods.

Zahnrad, did this ever get resolved to your satisfaction?

Zahnrad, did this ever get resolved to your satisfaction?
Mostly. Not 100%, but I'll live.

Mitsubishi did ultimately capitulate and replace everything that was damaged. The floppy drive was updated to the USB stick emulator drive due to being unavailable any longer. Unfortunately, there is now an issue with the system clock not working correctly. It's not the end of the world, but it is not correct and we actually do use it via some macro variables so it is a minor annoyance. Mitsubishi is willing to take the board for further diagnosis, but that means pulling it from the machine to send back in again and we simply do not have time to experiment right now. We are making parts and tools.

I've agreed to send it back in once we can get caught up and to a point that I can safely live without it for a few days. Just strikes me as weird that it won't take setting. It displays all Nines, despite inputting the data.

clock1a.jpg

Regarding the clock problem: do you have a picture of the processor board? Can you take a look around and see if you spot a chip called Dallas Watchdog?

watchdog.jpg

I just went through this with my 2004 Haas. Starting some time in the 1990s electrical designers everywhere were using this real time clock chip in their electronics. It was oscilloscopes, PCs, workstations and--yes--industrial electronics. It's basically a self-contained wristwatch with its own embedded battery. The idea was that when the battery died, you'd unplug the whole chip, toss it and buy a new one. And then they stopped making the chip.

On Haas, the date reverts to January 26, 2066 every time you shut it down. It basically goes to the end of whatever time the control permits. Looks like yours is doing the same.

There is a third party solution but, I'll bore you with that when we determine you have one and which one it is (there are multiple part numbers of this chip).

Edit to add: to be clear, boards with this chip do not have their clock maintained by the onboard battery. The clock is a separate entity, in that chip. So even if you have a new battery, if it uses this chip, it won't keep time.

Last edited:
Donkey - I do not think that exists on the board anywhere, but I could be mistaken. It's a common Mitsubishi/Meldas MC116 board. The largest issue with just swapping the board out is that the "options" memory chips are specific to the machine and need to be physically on/with this board & machine combination. (ask me how I discovered that) What is stumping everyone involved up to now is that the machine (board?) is simply not responding as expected when modifying/entering this information. (or setting the clock) One enters the info and presses the input/enter key. The clock data should reflect this input, but nothing happens.

In those days some systems used soldered in batteries that were cylindrical and could be mistaken for tubular capacitors, especially as labels can fade with age and heat. Mitsubishi should know if there is one of these on the board, although sharing such information may be a different matter.

Another thing I keep noticing is that a lot of companies will use your original packaging to return something to you. So make your packaging bullet proof and it will help whatever it is you care about survive. The $15k things we are shipping endlessly are in Pelican cases. 50+ lb things with sharp corners. On rare occasion we get a broken Pelican case, but the contents are always fine. You could get a large Pelican case (1620 is my goto) for a couple hundred dollars and keep it on hand for these sort of high value shipments.
Dude, thank you for that tip!

Back