What's new
What's new

Okamoto service engineer- ask me anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is your take on the new Okamoto ID grinders? are they durable long lasting machines.

Trying to find type of spindle bearings used in Okamoto 1224 ST grinder
in manual i found bearing number 7210 . what class of bearing? contact angle? preload?
Thanks
Mark

CRC error

I work for an Okamoto factory authorized dealer. We sell new & used Okamoto I.D., O.D. & surface grinders as well as factory spec rebuilds. I personally scrape, build, install, troubleshoot, service, rig/ deliver & train operators. I have been working on Okamoto machine tools for ~15 years. Ask me anything

When doing maintenance on our ACC32.80CH-IQ we encountered a message "CRC error" during the boot sequence. Have you ever seen this before?

Help

Hi Tbone.
I hope you can help us.
We have an issue similar to Doozer's.
Our grinder's table moves only to the left, never to the right.

We sent the DX4B to Zaritron for repair but the tech says the driver is good. They tested it on another machine and it works fine.

Output LEDs lit are:
#9 ZERO
#5 TB STP
#4 TB L

Input LEDs
#21 HDLLS
#23 PRARYO
#35 RSTPPB
#37 UPERLS
#34 TP1
#38 SAAUTO
#41 ALLSTP

I tested the proximity switches and look good. The driver detect both #19 LLS and #39 RLS

Do you know what UPERLS and HDLLS stand for?

Any advice you can give us will be very appreciated.

Thank you:
Everardo Rascon

Trouble holding tolerance

I work for an Okamoto factory authorized dealer. We sell new & used Okamoto I.D., O.D. & surface grinders as well as factory spec rebuilds. I personally scrape, build, install, troubleshoot, service, rig/ deliver & train operators. I have been working on Okamoto machine tools for ~15 years. Ask me anything
I work for a company that does OD and ID grinding, we also use Okamotos to grind the height. I’ll first put the part on and do a rough grind and try to leave .007 for the finish grind when I flip the part. But I’ve noticed I have to put in at least .0003 smaller number than what I measure after the rough pass, because it will take more than what you enter for it to take off. Also if I place the parts toward the end of the magnetic chuck, one side will be shorter than the other. Very frustrating

Well sir, I'm going to take you up on your offer.
I bought a used Okamoto PFG618 manual grinder and it had a few things broken from a forklift mishap before I owned it, I took most of it apart to clean it and didn't take a photo of how the X axis Table Bearings were installed when I disassembled it, these are the large balls about 5/8 diameter bearings and one of the strips is longer than the other, my question does the longer go in the front or back. Thanks for your help, Don

I have an okamoto grinder the x and z axis battery alarm came on. Where can I locate these batteries to replace them?

Hello, I have machine with a DX-4B-1 Controller (400) watt Okamoto
The Table motion stopped to operate. I checked in the manual and went through the procedure listed.
The diagnosis is the DX-4B-1 Controller.
I would like a second opinion before purchasing if there is something more that I should check?
Cheers

This guy hasn't been here for nearly two years, guys. If you're desperate, send him a private message. Posting here is obviously not going to get you any result.

OK. so, whyy won't Okamoto sell me spindle for my 6-18 linear/ newbe crashed cause he forgot the mag and raked the dresser block into the wheel. long /short, the taper mount runs out .0005 at the extreme small end.

OK. so, whyy won't Okamoto sell me spindle for my 6-18 linear/ newbe crashed cause he forgot the mag and raked the dresser block into the wheel. long /short, the taper mount runs out .0005 at the extreme small end.

Ouch.

As eKretz said earlier, the OP hasn't been posting since late 2017, so you're unlikely to get a response from him.

What exactly did the company say, or have they not communicated at all with you?

Doozer- I recommend flushing your machine with Mobisol. This is added to your hyd/ way oil at a small percentage and run for about 8-12 hours. Do not run longer or you risk damage to hydraulic seals. At the very least, use a squeegee and lint free towels to wipe inside of reservoir clean. No need to soak with kerosene. Just be sure no coolant contamination is present.
Remove & inspect oil filter. I recommend replacing but at very least, clean in parts wash & blow off until dry. You should be able to see light clean through the inside of filter.
Fill machine with recommended mobile vaculine 1405 or vactra #1. (Must be a hydraulic/ way lube oil at 32vg)
As for the table issue, this could be several things
-valve body
-DX4B control or hydraulic control board
Table proximity switches
(failed or just dirty/blocked)
-terry valve adjustment
-leaking/damaged cylinder rod seals
-failed table directional switch
-sticky solenoids/ failed coils
(Although new, soiled oil will gum up new solenoids within days or hours)
-coils installed in wrong positions

Please let me know what control your machine has (DX4B or FX control) and I can narrow this down. Worst case give me serial #.
If the machine has a DX4B, the front panel of this control will display all I/O signals & alarms via red/ green LEDs. If so, tell me what # red LEDs you have.
A step further, if you are the DIY type, I can provide you a flow chart style trouble shooting guide.

Hope this helps, let me know what you find. There is more to check on the vertical after this is resolved.
Hi Tbone ,

I HAVE OKAMOTO SURFACE GRINDER MODEL 63UDX DX4B CONTROL , I AM FACING ISSUE WITH Z AXIS VERTICAL TRAVEL , X & Y IS IN PROPER WORKING ORDER , ONCE COMMAND IS GIVEN FOR Z AXIS THE MACHINE GETS TRIPPED AND IT SHOWS ALARAM 47 LED , IT RUNS FOR A WHILE AND STOPS , NEED ASSISTANCE FROM YOU . MACHINE IS IN INDIA AND IM UN ABLE TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE .CAN YOU PLEASE HELP FOR THE SAME .

THANKING YOU,

Regards
HARDIK SHAH
[email protected]

Alan Warner said:

This is a hack method..but I have indicated a run-out spindle nose and then hand-honed it back to round running and a proper taper.
Also, I have checked a wheel mount and found the sweet spot(turn ) to put the mount error and nose error opposite to make it best or OK.
I have also mounted a tool bit and taken a small cut on a wheel mount face to make it run true...but altering a mount, then you need to always like to mark a line-up mark on the mount and spindle nose and only use that mount on the same machine.

I think a spindle nose end, a wheel mount, and all wheels should have a line-up mark, and a mount-up policy should be the habit/drill. Mount-up marking can save a lot of dressing wheel and time.

Using line-up marks can save a lot of dressing wheel and time because it makes re-mounted wheels run closer to the last dress. It also can also retain some of the balancing.

*and sometimes a few tenths nose or mount error should be ignored if after a proper dress one can make size and surface needs.

Not much one can do if something is bent or bearing damage is affecting the size holding or surface finish needs.

Last edited:
QT: As eKretz said earlier, the OP hasn't been posting since late 2017, so you're unlikely to get a response from him. Better would have been for the OP to post
"grinder expert to answer grinder questions."

Likely the OP found that thatposting a lot of Okamoto problems was making the Okamoto grinders look bad....When actually, they are good grinders.

But note many ball way grinders are victims to grits getting into the works and so should have cleaning schedules..and where possible, I like to put a strip of tape on the column side to keep grits out....just a simple shield behind the chuck can keep a lot of grits out of the works (balls, rollers, and ways).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back