What's new
What's new

Okuma Genos M560/M660 air requirements?

ManualEd

Stainless
Okuma lists the air requirements for the M660V (and the M560 IIRC) at 500l @90psi (~28CFM) minimum, which I assume is per minute.

They don't say if its the minimum to operate the machine normally, or if that is the theoretical max with air blast and constant spindle purge from nonstop tool changes.

That's nearly the entire output of a 7.5 HP Kaeser air center (rated at 32cmf@125psi) , which seems.... extreme.

I would use the air for thru tool air blast on that mill, and general air nozzle usage around the shop.

Can anyone with an M560 chime in on if its an air pig or what a reasonable guess is for their air usage?

We have a M560 at work I don't know that I would say it's an air pig, seems about the same as any other mill with spindle air purge. Running off a 10hp screw compressor with 2 other mills, lathe, waterjet, sandblaster, plus air nozzles at the machines. I can run air blast not stop on the other mill and the M560 runs normal.

Only issue we currently have is when we try to run air blast on the M560 we can only run for about 15-20 secs before we get a low air pressure alarm.

Haven't had time to look it to yet, I think it might be just plumbed wrong as we get the low air pressure alarm even when the compressor is on but not running.

Great machine btw.

If you are going to use thru-tool air any machine is going to run a small compressor ragged. It's basically like holding 1-2 air nozzles open full blast (depending on the size of your air guns). You can obviously add a ball valve somewhere to choke it off. Without that the only air it uses is is tool changes. They don't use positive pressure for the scales or anything like that unless that has changed in the last year or so.

Do you have a secondary holding tank? Or does your compressor go directly out to the shop?
A holding tank helps out a LOT. We had an old air compressor that wasn't able to be fixed so we turned it into a reservoir.
Plumb from compressor, to reservoir to dryer to shop.

Simi
Do you have a secondary holding tank? Or does your compressor go directly out to the shop?
A holding tank helps out a LOT. We had an old air compressor that wasn't able to be fixed so we turned it into a reservoir.
Plumb from compressor, to reservoir to dryer to shop.
Our old compressor is rusty and shitty inside, so we'll disconnect it from the system just because.
The Kaeser was quoted with a 240ga storage tank to help even things out.

We use air boosters on our Fadals, run 90psi in and they kick it up to 120psi.

Last edited:
On my 560 (2016) we have had to bump the pressure in the back when using side air blast. (not much just make sure it stays above the .5 low limit when running the air) Otherwise we get that low pressure alarm. It seems to be flow through the regulator. I added a 5gal surge tank under the machine with no help. We run a smaller tip and throttle the valve down. (Mainly use air for some tricky alu parts that just need a bit of help with finishing chip recuts.

I have run it on a little 1hp temp compressor. Side air is the main user.

Oddly the newer (2021) 460-5ax doesnt have this issue with the regulator.

Back