What's new
What's new

Okuma Lathe with OSP Control

stef_sandoval

Plastic
Hi everyone,
My company just got some new Okuma lathes. There supposedly already programmed and ready to go for me. The experienced machinist went on Vacay so it's just me and my buddy who's purely an operator. The parts this machine is running I run them on our HAAS lathe where I set up and operate them. I have set up experience on Fanuc controller too. There 12 inch OD parts but this experienced machinist and management didn't give me any training before they went on vacation from what I know these lathes are not standard CNC lathes that I'm used to. What's the best way to learn how to run these machines? My company has a lot of money btw. I told my manager and he didn't know that these are not traditional CNC lathe controls. I have experience operating and setting up lathes but I'm not highly experienced yet. I'm young too.

Mtndew

Diamond
I heard they do offsets and works shifts differently than I'm use too on HAAS and Fanuc. Am i wrong?
Not necessarily wrong. There is more than 1 way to do it on Fanuc, and Okuma.
Okuma is very similar to Fanuc in a lot of ways. But better.
And with the Mid-Auto-Manual feature you'll never want to go back to any other control.
Your biggest hurdle is navigating the control.

stef_sandoval

Plastic
And with the Mid-Auto-Manual feature you'll never want to go back to any other control.
I feel like it has too many safety features from my point of view.

stef_sandoval

Plastic
How did you learn the Okuma controller?

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I know companies that only run Okuma machines. They dont need it for tolerance but they like how easy the controls are to use. Employees can figure it out very easily.

I am sure you will not want to go back to the other ones once you get the hang of it.

stef_sandoval

Plastic
I know companies that only run Okuma machines. They dont need it for tolerance but they like how easy the controls are to use. Employees can figure it out very easily.

I am sure you will not want to go back to the other ones once you get the hang of it.
I get joy reading that reply. I consider myself a lathe guy.

stef_sandoval

Plastic

Let me tell u I'm running with same offsets but QC CMM be having different readings on our OD's. Aluminum brazed hallow part. Idk if okuma is of or the CMM

Mtndew

Diamond
How did you learn the Okuma controller?

Back in 1995 we got our 1st Okuma lathe, a cadet. I had already been programming a Mori SL35 (fucking beast of a machine) and I basically taught myself how to program the Okuma. I learned it pretty quickly and loved it.

DouglasJRizzo

Titanium
Hi everyone,
My company just got some new Okuma lathes. There supposedly already programmed and ready to go for me. The experienced machinist went on Vacay so it's just me and my buddy who's purely an operator. The parts this machine is running I run them on our HAAS lathe where I set up and operate them. I have set up experience on Fanuc controller too. There 12 inch OD parts but this experienced machinist and management didn't give me any training before they went on vacation from what I know these lathes are not standard CNC lathes that I'm used to. What's the best way to learn how to run these machines? My company has a lot of money btw. I told my manager and he didn't know that these are not traditional CNC lathe controls. I have experience operating and setting up lathes but I'm not highly experienced yet. I'm young too.
I run Okuma lathes in my shop. They're a joy to run. I'd be happy to help.
Cycles aren't that tough, and it's pretty easy to learn.