What's new
What's new

OKUMA LB15 training

Josh1441

Plastic
I have zero experience with cnc programming but have had 20 years in PLC programming. I recently purchased an older LB15 2 axis machine with a OSP-5020L controller. I am looking for someone who will do in person training with me at their site, which I will pay for. Please send me any information if you know someone.

I am in little rock but don't mind taking a trip for training. I actually bought this machine in Tulsa

I have an OSP U10L control which should be similar to that control. I had a half day training session and I was good to go (I did already know how to run a CNC mill). It is a rather simple control. To be honest it is harder to transfer programs and deal with that aspect of the control than it is to actually set it up. Learning how to set the turret (using T1 as your king tool) is very intuitive and setting your Z zero on your work is dead simple. Print out the G and M codes chart and have it on hand, Print out the page in the manual that explains transferring a program and lastly print out how to start a program so you can finger bang a few simple programs. I would exhaust the interweb before I have someone come in there.

HERE IS YOUR BEST ADVICE: Push the single block button and do not turn it off until you are very comfortable with the machine. The feed override has zero effect on rapids UNLESS YOU ARE IN SINGLE BLOCK. That machine can destroy itself in the push of a button with how fast the rapids are and how heavy it is.

I have an OSP U10L control which should be similar to that control. I had a half day training session and I was good to go (I did already know how to run a CNC mill). It is a rather simple control. To be honest it is harder to transfer programs and deal with that aspect of the control than it is to actually set it up. Learning how to set the turret (using T1 as your king tool) is very intuitive and setting your Z zero on your work is dead simple. Print out the G and M codes chart and have it on hand, Print out the page in the manual that explains transferring a program and lastly print out how to start a program so you can finger bang a few simple programs. I would exhaust the interweb before I have someone come in there.

HERE IS YOUR BEST ADVICE: Push the single block button and do not turn it off until you are very comfortable with the machine. The feed override has zero effect on rapids UNLESS YOU ARE IN SINGLE BLOCK. That machine can destroy itself in the push of a button with how fast the rapids are and how heavy it is.

I have to say I disagree with the idea of using any tool as a "king" tool. Use the turret itself for zero, because the turret will always be there. If you use a tool and mess that tool up, your reference goes away. All of our Okuma lathes are set up with turret faces as zero is X and Z.

Get yourself the Okuma OSP5000L "pocketbook". It has a quick reference to everything listed above and is incredibly helpful and worth the 35 bucks or whatever they cost. You can order right through your local Okuma distributor or if you don't have one I am sure you could call Okuma's main line and get ahold of one.

I have to say I disagree with the idea of using any tool as a "king" tool. Use the turret itself for zero, because the turret will always be there. If you use a tool and mess that tool up, your reference goes away. All of our Okuma lathes are set up with turret faces as zero is X and Z.

Get yourself the Okuma OSP5000L "pocketbook". It has a quick reference to everything listed above and is incredibly helpful and worth the 35 bucks or whatever they cost. You can order right through your local Okuma distributor or if you don't have one I am sure you could call Okuma's main line and get ahold of one.

I believe those are still available. Mine is worn thin..

Back