What's new
What's new

Old Age, no motivation, gone camping.

Since I was a small boy, I would look up at a passing airplane and say, "I wish I was up there". After 40-something years flying around the world, I looked down at the ground, and said, "I wish I was down there". Now that I am in the shop for good, I look up at the airplane passing, and I say, "I'm glad to be right here." Life changes, just like the seasons. The old body sets new limits every day. Grand dad said, "If you don't have a good time, it is your own fault." Regards, Clark

there is a sense of freedom in having only a little stuff that will fit in one truck load. you can move to a different place maybe by the lake and go fishing when ever you want.
Coming back thru South Dakota, came up on a Dodge 1/2 ton, he had a small 5th wheel camper, and then
behind that, he had a small boat on a trailer (aluminum open boat with small outboard)

Yes, a double, I have found out they are legal in 5 states or so.

So, in fact, he DID have it all, a truck, a house, and a boat....probably could have tossed a 4 wheeler
into the boat as well.

61, still healthy and would love to retire soon so I can enjoy the rest of my life, but have 41 year old stepson. Claims bad back, won't work, but see him lift stuff onto back of truck. His mom (my wife) cries over him, how he's practically crippled and that we have to "help" him. I'll never be able to retire.

61, still healthy and would love to retire soon so I can enjoy the rest of my life, but have 41 year old stepson. Claims bad back, won't work, but see him lift stuff onto back of truck. His mom (my wife) cries over him, how he's practically crippled and that we have to "help" him. I'll never be able to retire.

Send them both down the road, they can enjoy each others company.

While the thread is 3 years old, to some its a good subject to consider, to others it's a reminder, as we are all now 3 years closer to that day.

I have a book that gives details on my machines to help my kids dispose of my stuff when the time comes.

Sometimes easy living is just too easy.. knew a guy who with a bad back and off work would go bowling often..Go figure.

Wow.... this thread is back? Three years have past since I posted last on it. I'm 70 years now and still skiing hard. They had a great "old guy" party for me up on the snow this year, lots of friends showed up. Keep the weight off and be active. It hurts sometimes but well worth it!

Sometimes easy living is just too easy.. knew a guy who with a bad back and off work would go bowling often..Go figure.

I have had a bad back since I was 18, I am 56 now. I fractured two vertebrae in a weightlifting accident in my freshman year of college working out for football and ended up having my spine fused. What I can do has gone downhill over time, bending over is the worst. I try not to carry over 35 pounds, when in my hey day I could lift more than 300 pounds over my head. Anything that compresses the spine causes numbness in the legs and shooting pains. I can run a ditch witch all day with no problems because it actually stretches the spine as you use it. On the other hand if you told me to stand with a 90 lb bag of cement draped over my shoulders I could last a minute before my legs went numb and I collapsed, it would also cause days of pain that would stick me laying on the couch watching TV. A bad back sucks and I have a high tolerance to pain. You never know if the so called sufferer is just a candy ass or faking it, I am neither of those. I am also self employed for the last two decades plus, if not my back would have gotten me fired over and over.

I have had a bad back since I was 18, I am 56 now. I fractured two vertebrae in a weightlifting accident in my freshman year of college working out for football and ended up having my spine fused. What I can do has gone downhill over time, bending over is the worst. I try not to carry over 35 pounds, when in my hey day I could lift more than 300 pounds over my head. Anything that compresses the spine causes numbness in the legs and shooting pains. I can run a ditch witch all day with no problems because it actually stretches the spine as you use it. On the other hand if you told me to stand with a 90 lb bag of cement draped over my shoulders I could last a minute before my legs went numb and I collapsed, it would also cause days of pain that would stick me laying on the couch watching TV. A bad back sucks and I have a high tolerance to pain. You never know if the so called sufferer is just a candy ass or faking it, I am neither of those. I am also self employed for the last two decades plus, if not my back would have gotten me fired over and over.

Cry me a river. :nopity:

I've had a bad body since I was born. My hair doesn't hurt, that's about it.

All this old age talk got me thinking. I am just shy of 50 and have been machining for30 some years.....I have never gotten the bug to start my own business or start buying machinery. I have been fortunate enough to work in shops that would allow me to do my own projects on my own time,,with their equipment,,(nice benefit). But Tyrone' post got me thinking..........what I would most like to do with the knowledge I have gained over the years is.......give it away. I would like to find a place I could go to and have a cup of coffee and hang out with some young people looking to learn what I (and maybe others) could teach. Heck, I would do it for free. Quite a few years ago I tried to volunteer at the local high school and found that there were so many barriers that it was basically impossible. Maybe I need to check again....or even check with the tech. school I attended 30 years ago.

Glad this post came back around.....I got to read what I wrote 3 ish years ago....
Glad to report....I actually have taken a job teaching. Been teaching a CAM software package as a side gig for a local distributor for about a year and a half now. I get to hang out and teach the next Gen...enjoying it.....best part....Not doing it for free, but still liking it....Hardly seems like working.

Cry me a river. :nopity:

I've had a bad body since I was born. My hair doesn't hurt, that's about it.

Wow, you are such an ass, did you get stuffed in too many trash cans as a youth, and now you are a tough guy hiding behind a keyboard? Now you make fun of handicapped people, you are the lowest of the low.

Wow, you are such an ass, did you get stuffed in too many trash cans as a youth, and now you are a tough guy hiding behind a keyboard? Now you make fun of handicapped people, you are the lowest of the low.

-I have never once seen a positive, let alone helpful, post from Welden in all the time I've been on this board. Quite the contrary- his presence in virtually any thread is very much like that of a turd in a punchbowl.

Doc.

There was a recent discovery of proprionibacterium: acne bacteria causing infection in up to half of spine surgery patients with back pain, based on samples taken after further surgery. The researchers claim that a lot of back pain can be cured by a course of antibiotics that target acne bacteria. It seems the bacteria can get into the bloodstream and attack the spine.

http://thebrainbank.scienceblog.com/2013/05/12/acne-bacteria-to-blame-for-back-pain/

I was just thinking about this the other day... when I got a surprise medical diagnosis. Nothing fatal, so far, but a wake up call that "what would happen to all this stuff when I die?"

I've got lots of stuff, quite a bit of money.. and no immediate family. I'm all prepared for retirement.. I never overextended myself... ever. I own everything I need, want for nothing.

I've got an elderly aunt and uncle, 2 cousins and their kids that live 3 states away, and that's it.

The way I look at it... they're relatively well off and probably don't need anything I have... moneywise. I know they don't need any of my equipment or "stuff".

So, I was thinking.. who to give stuff to? Not sure if the school district would be able to use my machine shop equipment.. I suppose I should ask.

Money will be a different animal altogether.

I'd just as soon give it away to individuals than to a charity.... I'd sure like to do that "Secret Santa" kinda operation before I leave this world. That looks like the most fun thing, to me.

I guess I'm a people pleaser... or would like to be!

Back