What's new
What's new

Old Johnson punch press operation help

If it has a clutch (I see a pedal) that will only work one direction of rotation....which IIRC is flywheel rim nearest operator down.

As I cranked it through by hand it seemed happier that direction than the other, it has a foot pedal, is entirely mechanical, no air.

Will it hurt it's self if it spins the wrong way or simply not function?

It looks like a simple crankshaft so the ram should work in either direction. If it had a band brake that could be directional. Don't know about the clutch. You would think the flywheel would have a direction arrow if it made any difference.

It looks like a simple crankshaft so the ram should work in either direction. If it had a band brake that could be directional. Don't know about the clutch. You would think the flywheel would have a direction arrow if it made any difference.

It has a band brake

Or perhaps a mention in the manual, but nothing

I have a Bliss of similar size, it's 25 ton. Facing the flywheel, it turns CCW, and the clutch would not work running CW. But that means nothing because yours is not a Bliss. If you could post some more detailed pics of the clutch (behind the flywheel) it might help.

As I cranked it through by hand it seemed happier that direction than the other, it has a foot pedal, is entirely mechanical, no air.

Will it hurt it's self if it spins the wrong way or simply not function?

If rotated CW it will simply not work.

If you want to research this style more, the proper term is "Mechanical Latch pin punch press."

If it has no air, then the brake is a simple spring tension style, and the adjustment to make it operate correctly and safely is by adjusting the brake so that it spins without generating too much heat, but also stopping the ram when the ramp pulls out the pin.

If it spins too freely, in will double hit, or maybe worse.

It would be best to have a wrist strap system that pulls your hands back, when the ram is actuated. Used wrongly, this a VERY dangerous press if used improperly.

Please be careful when you are adjust/operating this type of press.

It would be best to have a wrist strap system that pulls your hands back, when the ram is actuated. Used wrongly, this a VERY dangerous press if used improperly.

Please be careful when you are adjust/operating this type of press.

Full guarding after the die is set-up is better yet.

Turn it over by hand with the pedal depressed. It may work in one direction but not the other. Running it under power in the wrong direction ripped the activating mechanism off the back of one I used to own.

Very true that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But I always strapped in to the wrist bands when setting up and trying out especially with foot pedals.

PITA but I still have seven fingers and two thumbs. :D

Very true that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But I always strapped in to the wrist bands when setting up and trying out especially with foot pedals.

PITA but I still have seven fingers and two thumbs. :D

Last time I checked, to equip said press with the pull back device was $6500.

-Full guarding can also prevent exploding die/punch shrapnel from entering spectators in inconvenient locations. Full guards are often cumbersome and a PITA to work around but I have zero faith for several reasons when around that type of press. Still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs, lots I've known had less. Good luck wished for the OP in all sincerity.

No experience with this press, but have worked on a few Benchmaster and Alva F Allen press's which look to be the same construction. They typically have an arrow cast into the flywheel, and simply won't trip (or makes noise) when run backwards.

Simple safety for one of these is to do away with the pedal and replace it with a hand lever beside the head (just under the work area). That keeps your right hand out of the way. For the left, add a side to side lever with a spring loaded rod which goes through the frame and comes out under the right hand lever. The idea being, in order to trip the machine you need to hold the left lever to the left before you can press down on the right lever. All the one's I worked on were already single trip too.

We have an 8 ton and 5 ton Alva F Allen press in our shop and they come in super handy with the right tooling. Small simple bends, punches, etc. all gets done in the blink of an eye. We don't do very high volume, but compared to doing things onesy-twosy with an arbor press or a hammer and a bench vise, it's worth it to make some dies when you need repeatability.

With the above two-hand safety, you'll want to design your dies to hold the work of course. Any punch machine that has operators holding the material (which is why they have foot pedal trip) has to have lots of guards otherwise which in my experience can be more complicated to design functionally than the die itself.

The press is about 20-22ton capacity. There is a clutch. Facing the flywheel on the right side of the press, the flywheel must turn counterclockwise. The clutch will not operate if turned in the wrong direction. Considering the age of the press. Take a good look at the clutch dog so that the press can operate safely. If you want to change to hand controls. ARO may still make a Hand Control kit that requires both buttons be pressed at the same time to operate the press.

Roger

Last edited:

Back