Plastic
Hi
I just bought an old lathe but don't know the model or manufacturer
No name plate except from the original retaler
Bought in Sweden

20220320_121800.jpg

20220320_121805.jpg

Anybody recognizing this machine

Scanning through the Lathes + Machine Tool Archive list an this Greenwood Brothers' Lathe looks pretty similar

Mikron Type 79

After some investigation I found theese marking so far on my lathe

GB on toolpost, Greenwood Brothers maybe?

20220408_181309.jpg

4 BG on the inside of door

20220408_181103.jpg

mheo,

Keep looking. I don't think the Greenwood Brothers lathe looks similar to yours.

There was a manufacturer named Greenwood & Batley who offered a large range of machinery, maybe worth searching.

The entry in Grace's Guide for Greenwood & Batley...

Search results for "Greenwood & Batley" - Graces Guide

Much like Pratt & Whitney in the US, G&B also supplied specialized machines to national armories. At about the same time P&W was equipping all of the German armories, G&B was equipping the Italian and Russian armories. They were P&W's main competition in this specialized field. Henry Royce was working for G&B at the time he was elected to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers building ammunition making machines for the Italians.

Friend has an oldy too. It recently died. He thinks it burned out a couple of the mother boards. I don't know the make or model yet. But he might need some old working boards. Any leads would be great.

Last edited:
Friend has an oldy too. It recently died. He thinks it burned out a couple of the mother boards. I don't know the make or model yet. But he might need some old working boards. Any leads would be great.

This part of the site is really for pre CNC machinery. Try the “ CNC Machining” part of the site.

Regards Tyrone.

The casting reminds me of the Swiss tradition of Mikron, Schaublin, or Simonet, but no positive identification. I have seen similar lathes from the aforementioned manufacturers but probably not this exact same model.

Back