What's new
What's new

OLD P&W Chuck on ebay

The SB 15" Series "N" in the 1931 catalog is listed with this thread size. The chucks with the screws sticking out like that are accidents waiting to happen. These were not scroll chucks, but are not necessarily independent, either.

John

Hi John,
Interesting, I know when I looked at it, I tried moving the jaws, and they are independent of each other. Pretty unusual, as the 3 jaw chucks I have seen are self centering.

Thanks,
Eric

Could have internal problems. These that were intended to be universal (not independent) had the usual pinions found in a scroll chuck, but with just a sort of frail looking "ring gear" to connect the pinions for having all turn when you turned one. Jaws are moved by the screws that are rotated by the pinions. I guess they would hold something sort of concentric when they were in perfect condition. Easy to see why the design fell by the wayside.

John

As discussed by Mr. Perrigo in Lindsay's reprint of "Lathe Design Contruction and Operation" of about 1916, there was also the Sweetland chuck - which could be shifted from universal to independent (or vice versa) by disengaging the ring gear from the pinions :rolleyes:

Sounds even more flaky

John

On the back theres some sort of lever, and a thing that looks like a knob, maybe that is for engaging or disengaging the scroll, if it has one.

This sure sounds like it is a really desirable piece of tooling! Should have listened to my Dad that no one would want it...and saved my 35 cents... :rolleyes:

mu 10 in 4jaw has the brass knob on the rear for disengaging ring gear allowing change to individual jaw movement ,also master jaws ,so soft ones can be fitted ...oh yeah , its a knuckle buster also ,just dont stick out quite as far as the 12 in 4 jaw,which was designed for use as a faceplate as well .....both came with circa 1895 14 in reed .

best wishes
docn8as

FWIW ...10 in 4 jaw w/ scroll engaged is pretty far out ,but seemes to replicate w/ in a few thou.

"also the Sweetland chuck - which could be shifted from universal to independent" John I have one and they are really quite useful...... and I think it too has those nasty little bolts sticking up.... just got to remember not to stop that one with my hand :D

Back