What's new
What's new

Old style 10EE single point follow rest dimensions

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I picked an old style 10EE follow rest out of a junk pile at a surplus place. It came from a shop that had a 1951 motor-generator square dial, so I'm assuming it went with that, but can't be totally certain. It physically fits my 1970 modular, other than that the carriage wing is not drilled and tapped in the right spot.

1708532637539223058717545472241.jpg

The absolute (though not practical) maximum capacity would be 13/16“ stock, ie. the spindle centerline to the edge of the follower casting is 13/32“. It seems like maybe Monarch offered this style of follower for both center heights, so if anyone has this style and could compare the measurement I'd appreciate it. That's a 3/8" OD mic extension in the collet.

17085329769287410473970443378965.jpg

17085330940051647789512594856375.jpg

I'm trying to decide whether to keep this, and drill/tap my carriage to fit it... with the DRO scale in the way, the other options are making something myself, or take out a loan and buy the new style from Monarch with the wider base.

Thanks,
Andy

Monarch did make a square-dial follower-rest like that. Parts Sheet 112 shows it. Check to see if you can find casting number EE-2921 on it. Also, the serial number of the machine that it was shipped with may be stamped on a machined surface (should be a 5-digit number, with or without an "EE" prefix). On my round-dial rest (which is the same design) the serial number is stamped on the machined surface next to the brass finger, facing the headstock. Your rest has that surface painted.

Last edited:
Here is sheet 112. I don't necessarily view Monarch's parts drawings as proof that a part was applicable to a certain machine. The manual they sent for my 1970 EE includes drawings for a bunch of older parts, like the dovetail-mounted clamshell indicator holders and carriage stops. They don't seem to have been above reusing an older drawing if it "got the point across".

Note that this drawing lists the two work supports for varying diameters of work, one for 1/8“ to 3/4" and one for 3/4" to 1 1/2". This follower will only accept a maximum diameter of 13/16" when mounted on my 1970 lathe (the casting won't allow more) so my conclusion is that it must be for a round dial machine.

If anyone has a square dial with this style of follow rest that will allow 1 1 1/2" stock on a square dial machine, that would be interesting to hear about.

Screenshot_20240224_073609_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Part number EE-2921 (the main casting for the arm) is square-dial part number, based on its sequence. The round-dial main casting would have had an EE-16xx part number, like all of the other non-COTS parts in the assembly. Plus, your photos show that it's the correct height for a square-dial.

Plus, your photos show that it's the correct height for a square-dial.
Sheet 12 cites 1 1/2“ max capacity with the larger jaw, which would be impossible with this rest mounted on my lathe. The absolute maximum capacity before the part would interfere with the casting is 13/16". That's why I thought it's probably for a round dial. Is my reasoning flawed somewhere? Wouldn't be the first time...

Makes sense regarding the part number sequence.

I don't know about the 1-1/2" capacity for the large finger; could be something carried over from another drawing in error. Put a piece of round stock in a collet and bring the finger down to touch. If it touches both sides it's for a square-dial.

I think that the reason that not very many of these square-dial follower rests have shown up is that unlike round-dials, square-dials did not include a follower-rest as a standard accessory.

Clean the paint off of your rest in this area. You should find a serial number. Based on a number of these rests that I have in my photo archive, I believe the dark gray paint color to be original, at least for round-dial accessories like rests.
IMG_2608 '16298' anno.jpg

Here's a photo of my rest with some rulers for scale:
IMG_2595.jpg
Unfortunately, it's pretty well buried and I don't have time to dig it out to make additional measurements.

I've had both types of this follower rest, round and square dial. The bronze finger also came in two sizes, large and small.

Looking at the photo you took that appears to be on-axis:

I am not following your statement "This follower will only accept a maximum diameter of 13/16" when mounted on my 1970 lathe."

The photo clearly shows an unobstructed 5C collet, which has an o.d. of at least 1.25, probably greater.

If it was a round dial follower rest, it would not be on axis, its not a matter of reduced diameter.

I have an original one of those and have given up using it and fabricated a more sturdy one. The reasons for this are:

1. They are not so rigid. They flex and allow the work to bend away from the tool.
2. They are too close to the tool when using a quick change tool post. Originally designed for the 4-way/rocker toolpost they don't allow proper space for the extra width of the QC system.

I fabricated one from 1/2" plate and it's far superior.

Well, my reasoning wasn't off, but my math (and cognitive skills) were. 13/16 is the maximum radius this rest will accept on my lathe, not diameter, so it conforms to the dimensions on sheet 112 after all. Not sure where my brain got off to, but I'm feeling like a bit of a dips*** at the moment.

Cal, I cleaned the paint off that area after your first post, and there's no number there. Just planer marks. I also have the face plate from the lathe this rest very likely came with, and it is numbered.

I guess now I just have to decide if I want to drill an extra hole in my carriage wing to use this thing. Thanks for all the replies, and patience.

I've had both types of this follower rest, round and square dial. The bronze finger also came in two sizes, large and small.

Looking at the photo you took that appears to be on-axis:

I am not following your statement "This follower will only accept a maximum diameter of 13/16" when mounted on my 1970 lathe."

The photo clearly shows an unobstructed 5C collet, which has an o.d. of at least 1.25, probably greater.

If it was a round dial follower rest, it would not be on axis, its not a matter of reduced diameter.

Clean the paint off of your rest in this area. You should find a serial number. Based on a number of these rests that I have in my photo archive, I believe the dark gray paint color to be original, at least for round-dial accessories like rests.

Last edited:
I have an original one of those and have given up using it and fabricated a more sturdy one. The reasons for this are:

1. They are not so rigid. They flex and allow the work to bend away from the tool.
2. They are too close to the tool when using a quick change tool post. Originally designed for the 4-way/rocker toolpost they don't allow proper space for the extra width of the QC system.

I fabricated one from 1/2" plate and it's far superior.
That all makes sense. Food for thought on whether I want to drill another hole in my saddle to fit this one, when maybe it's not going to work all that great anyway.

Mine is P/N 12772. It had been on the shelf for a while but I hadn’t really looked it over until this discussion. It certainly needed help. I added a brace. There was already a tapped hole in the saddle wing. I had a job that needed a follow rest. It’s ¾-10 and the material is 1144 PH. It worked just fine with the additional stiffness.
additional brace.jpg

Back