What's new
What's new

OldCarGuy’s Retirement Toy Shop

Monarch Radius tools

Any chance you have the literature for the Monarch radius tools?
I have the very same one pictured on the left.
Thanks! BTW nice shop!
Sam

Just purchased a used K.O. Lee Cutter Grinder that included the centers, power work head, and air bearing end mill sharpening attachment.
DSCF1003-1.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

At the same time I purchased a Bridgeport Cherrying head. That I temporarily installed on the back off my CNC EZ Trak.
DSCF1010.jpg

Another addition is a Deckel SO Cutter Grinder along with seven collets from 1/15 to 5/8. I mounted it on a shelf on the wall between the K.O. Lee and my surface grinder.
DSCF1004.jpg

I finally got around making room to put my second Bridgeport between my smaller lathe and EDM machine. The L&W dividing head with a 6” chuck was also a new purchase.
DSCF1012.jpg

I also picked up a J S Fluidmotion Radius Angle grinding wheel Dresser Along with a Sine-A-Dex precision rotary / index sine spin fixture.
DSCF1014.jpg

Added to my collection of sine plates, a 6” X 6” fine pole magnetic sine plate.
DSCF1018.jpg

A couple more toys,, Monarch convex and concave radius cutting tools.
DSCF1019.jpg

You have a machine shop capable of building progressive dies, injection molds, or any other kind of tooling for that matter! That’s awesome! I would just be happy with a toolroom lathe, pedestal grinder a d a surface grinder. Well, you have no excuses for not fixing anything now!

You have a machine shop capable of building progressive dies, injection molds, or any other kind of tooling for that matter! That’s awesome! I would just be happy with a toolroom lathe, pedestal grinder a d a surface grinder. Well, you have no excuses for not fixing anything now!

Thanks for your enthusiasm, he does have a nice shop. However he has not posted here since 2011. For what ever reason he didnt post here after that. Have a great day and thanks for bringing up this post. I had almost forgotten about how nice the photos of his shop were.

Charles

Disaster strikes OldCarGuy's retirement complex....

December 14, 2020 bad luck came my way. A massive fire started by my four year old laptop computer. I finished using my garage shop laptop around 8:00 PM. And like most users, I left it plugged in to charge. Then I finished working in the garage attached to my workshop until midnight. Followed by going to bed. I had a dream that I was caught in a fire and woke up at 4:00 AM sharp. At which time there was no sign of a fire. I went to the basement to shut off the furnace. Then went through the attached garage that too had no evidence of fire. But when I walked past the steel door to my shop. I could feel the intense heat radiating from the door. There's no way I was going inside the shop. Then went out that garage man door, once outside I could see a huge plume of black smoke billowing well past the second floor of the shop.

I reported the fire on 911 call. Then made my way to turn off the electric in main distribution panel in another garage that's 75' from the shop. Also turned off the main gas lines. Within minutes four police cars appeared. Followed by five huge tanker fire trucks. Though the local fire station is within five miles of my house, my house in the rural area, and there's no fire hydrants. Within minutes two dozen firemen were suited up in in full heat protection gear including face masks and oxygen bottles on their backs... These fine men worked like a well oiled machine. Little on no words between them. Being well trained for the task at hand. Constantly relaying questions to me. In less than an hour they had things under control..

I am a huge fan of our safety forces. And I'm so thankful that they'd risk their lives for me and my property. Heck both the Police and Fire Chief's were there to overlook their men. So it's five o'clock AM and the forces are cleaning up their gear. The Fire Chief came my way to comfort me. And acknowledging that I wouldn't get any sleep. But he's leaving two men behind until the morning when the Fire Marshall will be there. Just to keep an eye on the shop in case there's a flareup.

Over the following week, both the Fire Marshall and a private Fire Investigator determined the laptop computer started the fire. He made an astonishing and compelling statement. If this would have been any other attached garage shop in the county, my garages and whole house would have burnt to the ground.. He went on to say the choice of fire rated drywall, insulation, windows doors, quality workmanship, etc made all the difference. As there was no damage to the attached garage that shares a 20 foot wall, and the full second floor above the destroyed shop!

I was totally distraught... This cannot be real. As if I'm dreaming still. Have I dreamed it all? Or could I be simply hemorrhaging inside? For several weeks I made up my mind to shut her down. End this defective gene I've possessed. Sell off all my collection of antique cars, machinery and tools. Maybe just collect stamps.

With all my family insistence. Convincing me that I'd never be happy giving up on my passion. I decided to rebuild Grandpa's Toy Shop! To heights well beyond anything I've had in the past.. Or could dream about...

Attachments

• fire-1.jpg
    fire-1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 97
  • fire-2.jpg
    fire-2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 94
  • fire-3.jpg
    fire-3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 92
  • fire-4.jpg
    fire-4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 95
  • fire-9.jpg
    fire-9.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 97
  • fire-5.jpg
    fire-5.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 98
  • fire-6.jpg
    fire-6.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 97
  • fire-7.jpg
    fire-7.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 98
  • fire-8.jpg
    fire-8.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 97
Indeed it was a huge loss for me, both monetarily and emotional. The fire occurred December 20, 2020. Both the local Fire Marshall and my insurance company wouldn't give me a go ahead with any repairs, let alone entering the premise. Until all the investigating was finished, because of the expected legal ramifications to the computer company. Unknown to me, the particular model computer has a major issue of causing fires.

After three months of stalling me, I started in on the fire restoration on my own. Most told me I wasn't capable at my age to the task at hand. My thoughts were I built my garage complex on my own twenty years ago. Just because I'm approaching eighty years old, that's not going to stop me now! Ordered a huge dumpster,, actually four of them. Removed all the burned remains, and took out all the machines and stored them in my other garages or offsite. Then removed all the machinery wiring that was surface mounted in steel conduit. The wires were all melted as one from the high heat. Lastly I removed all the drywall and fiberglass insulation knowing the smoke smell would linger for years.

I took on the task without any outside contracting! And only the help of a single family member. Working seven days a week 10 to 14 hours a day.. Besides some minor details, I finished the massive project. The results are fantastic! Except for my 1914 Cadillac, all my other cars were safe from the fire. Here is a taste of the restoration as of today... I'll be posting more about my shop rebuild soon.

Below is a shot looking down a row of my equipment. You'll notice on the far wall below my license plate collection is a neon sign, “Grandpa's Toy Shop”. Maybe I should start a new thread naming it as such..

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 153
  • restore21.jpg
    restore21.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 153
Indeed it was a huge loss for me, both monetarily and emotional. The fire occurred December 20, 2020. Both the local Fire Marshall and my insurance company wouldn't give me a go ahead with any repairs, let alone entering the premise. Until all the investigating was finished, because of the expected legal ramifications to the computer company. Unknown to me, the particular model computer has a major issue of causing fires.

After three months of stalling me, I started in on the fire restoration on my own. Most told me I wasn't capable at my age to the task at hand. My thoughts were I built my garage complex on my own twenty years ago. Just because I'm approaching eighty years old, that's not going to stop me now! Ordered a huge dumpster,, actually four of them. Removed all the burned remains, and took out all the machines and stored them in my other garages or offsite. Then removed all the machinery wiring that was surface mounted in steel conduit. The wires were all melted as one from the high heat. Lastly I removed all the drywall and fiberglass insulation knowing the smoke smell would linger for years.

I took on the task without any outside contracting! And only the help of a single family member. Working seven days a week 10 to 14 hours a day.. Besides some minor details, I finished the massive project. The results are fantastic! Except for my 1914 Cadillac, all my other cars were safe from the fire. Here is a taste of the restoration as of today... I'll be posting more about my shop rebuild soon.

Below is a shot looking down a row of my equipment. You'll notice on the far wall below my license plate collection is a neon sign, “Grandpa's Toy Shop”. Maybe I should start a new thread naming it as such..
too bad they don't have a LOVE emoji to give you !

You have done a fantastic job as usual, I hope your insurance paid out. What kind of computer caused the fire? Did they pay up as well? Back when you used to post all the time I used to follow your posts all the time, I wondered what happened to you.

It looks like there was a lot that was salvageable?

A fire is one of those time-stamp markers of life, and everything is "before or after the fire".
Then you look ALL OVER for some tool that you know that you have, only to finally decide that it must not have survived the fire, even tho you're darn sure that you just used it recently.

I have not had to deal with that so far.
I don't own a laptop, but my wife has a cpl at home.

I wish you several years of joy from your shop yet!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Damn. Very glad you or any of your family were not physically harmed by the fire. And yet another fantastic job on the rebuild! Great job. Beautiful shop, beautiful cars. Give that family member that helped you out a big pat on the back too.👍

Glad no one was hurt , like others mentioned the stuff (all great stuff ) can be replaced . As I type here on my laptop I am hoping that I do not have the same laptop as the OP had .
animal

BUMP.......how about an update??

Rebuilding OldCarGuy's Toy Shop making it even better!

After removing all the drywall and surface wiring that was in steel conduit. New insulation is installed. Besides new insulation in the walls, replaced the 10” insulation on ceiling too.
restore1.jpg

I picked up new 4' by 12' fire rated 5/8” drywall using my tilt bed trailer. They wanted $75.00 to drop it off and couldn't guarantee they'd be able to get it through my 8' by 18' door. There's about 10,000 pounds needed.
restore2.jpg

Then installing the 110 pound sheets in ceiling first. My drywall lift and power scissors truck came in handy...

restore3.jpg

restore4.jpg

restore6.jpg

restore7.jpg

Being on my trailer I could easily slide the heavy sheets onto the drywall heist.

restore6.jpg

Finish hanging drywall and added joint compound..

restore8.jpg

Finish sanding and put “shell construction board” to keep floor from paint splatter. That stuff is amazing, doesn't fail with the heavy scissors lift.
restore9.jpg

Painted ceiling and walls with Sherwin William's semi gloss Pre-Catalyzed Water based Epoxy. This paint was not cheep, but has doubled over the past year. Airless spayed everything white. The sprayed painted the wainscot blue. Along with the HVAC duct work. You'll notice my blue theme throughout my shop..

IMG_8632.JPG

Removing the old HVAC unit with my John Deere Tractor. The “Shell construction board” held up under tractor load..

IMG_8662(1).JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

Replaced three Pella 44” by 65” dual pane argon filled windows.

IMG_8646.JPG

IMG_8634.JPG

Installed 32 four foot Honeywell LED light fixtures, 5,000 lumen each yields over 100 candle power light in the shop..

IMG_8646.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

Painted bridge crane runway beams and column beams. Removed shell protector and begin prepping floor for gray epoxy. Sherwin Williams ArmoSeal 1000HS, High VOC marine & industrial coating.. Installed aluminum Levolor Mini Blinds.

restore17.jpg

restore16.jpg

IMG_9078.JPG

IMG_8764.JPG

IMG_8787_(1).MOV

IMG_8772.JPG
IMG_8771.JPG

Power washed, soda blasted, prepped and painted all shelving, tables, die carts etc.​

IMG_8742.JPG
IMG_8728.JPG
IMG_8727.JPG

Installed fire extinguishers one at each door total six
IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8719.JPG

Hung up Coffing Two Ton Chain Hoist,, Installed electric supply using two ReelCraft cord reels in both directions of travel. Far better than the cable festoon system that was destroyed in the fire..

To be continued,, installing the equipment..

I like your Reelcraft cables!
I trust that would work for 3phase as well...
WAY nicer than the hanging chords that I have now!

Well I fully expect you to get many years out of this now - after puting so much back into it!

I really don't think that all those extinguishers would have helped on the previous fire tho - since no-one was in there...

So, you didn't lose much, if any of the structure then?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back