What's new
What's new

Omniturn GT-75 ADD ANOTHER RELAY

Blobis

Plastic
Is there a way to add another Pneumatic solenoid to my machine, and where would I hook it up?
I've retrofitted a Harding HSL into CNC before with a Masso controller and the process of installing relays and pneumatic solenoids is easy, reading the manual for the Omniturn GT-75 with a G4 controller is kind of vague , just not getting it yet. Any help would be great.
Thanks, Bob

On my machine, inside the electrical cabinet on the left side, is a row of six relays at the top. In my case, five are used, the sixth is wired to the control, but is not connected to any device.

As I recall from my manual, if I wanted to connect something to it (parts catcher, live tool, bar feeder, etc.) I'd just have to wire in that relay as a switch, and use the appropriate M-code.

I don't know what the procedure is if all your relays are already occupied, though I'd be surprised if Omni didn't have a solution, considering how many accessories they have that can be added on.

I'd say give Omni a call, see what they can suggest.

Doc.

I have a relay that says M64 and a funky plug in the back that says M64 also. I asked Omniturn about it and he said to take pictures of it cause he's never heard of it or seen it. When I'm in MDI I'll type in M64 nothing happens and the PENDING line has some weird 6 letter message, then I can't use MDI anymore until I go back to JOG. Any ideas?
Oh ya, What model Omniturn do you have, and controller?
Thanks, Bob

I have a relay that says M64 and a funky plug in the back that says M64 also.

-I miscounted, I only have five relays.

One is marked "FLT", which I suspect is the X axis 'brake' (which has it's own regulator, solenoid and air line) the next two are M03 and M04 (forward and reverse on the spindle) and M08, which is the coolant pump. The last, the one that's not hooked to anything except signal-in from the controller, is marked M25. According to the manual, that's "user assigned on".
When I'm in MDI I'll type in M64 nothing happens and the PENDING line has some weird 6 letter message, then I can't use MDI anymore until I go back to JOG. Any ideas?

-Not a one, sorry. It's possible the control is sending the "activate relay" signal, but not getting the connection which confirms it's energized? Blind stab at a guess.

Oh ya, What model Omniturn do you have, and controller?

-Circa '98 Series II, with a circa-2015 G4 control, that I suspect was installed by the factory, or at least a factory tech.

omniturn090.jpg

Had it less than a year, so I'm quite the noob at it, myself. But willing to do what I can to help.

(Ignore the "Series X" thing- both the "II" stickers had been rubbed off, so I had the X made at a local vinyl shop. :D )

Doc.

Is your Collet Closer lube dispenser constantly on?

-No. In the lower cabinet by the air regulators, there should be a block of three solenoids. The middle one is for the closer lube dispenser.

I don't know the rate or time it cycles, but no, it's not constantly on.

Doc.

Ya I've seen that, before when I turn on the machine that solenoid wasn't on, but lately it's been on all the time. maybe it's set to be on too long. Something else to figure out, Woohoo!!
Thanks, Bob

If the machine was previously used for short cycle work the past owner may have switched a solenoid wire so that it is constantly on. This recommendation comes from Omniturn.

RT

-I miscounted, I only have five relays.

One is marked "FLT", which I suspect is the X axis 'brake' (which has it's own regulator, solenoid and air line) the next two are M03 and M04 (forward and reverse on the spindle) and M08, which is the coolant pump. The last, the one that's not hooked to anything except signal-in from the controller, is marked M25. According to the manual, that's "user assigned on".

-Not a one, sorry. It's possible the control is sending the "activate relay" signal, but not getting the connection which confirms it's energized? Blind stab at a guess.

-Circa '98 Series II, with a circa-2015 G4 control, that I suspect was installed by the factory, or at least a factory tech.

omniturn090.jpg

Had it less than a year, so I'm quite the noob at it, myself. But willing to do what I can to help.

(Ignore the "Series X" thing- both the "II" stickers had been rubbed off, so I had the X made at a local vinyl shop. :D )

Doc.
Finally made a part today, Woohoo!!! worked great. But no where in the manual can I find how to restart at any tool I want, do you know how?
Thank ya Sir
Bob

"F6" in the automatic mode, search for tool number (Txx). I haven't used it but make sure you have all the needed code at each tool change (radius/diameter, M03/04, speed, etc).

RT

Back