What's new
What's new

Once again, current aluminum prices?

Mickey_D

Stainless
Looked at the numbers and we bought over 40K pounds of 6061 flat and round stock last year. Started last year with an average of $2.05 a pound and the Kaiser that came in last week was $3.85 a pound, and this is from our cheaper distributor. Unfortunately this is spread over at least 11 different sizes, and I really don't want to sit on a 4K pound mill run for a year because I don't have room to store it. What is everyone else seeing now?

Last edited:
local in Canada is about $4.85/lb cdn, been hearing the supply is short currently because many switched over from steel as it was available at the same or less cost.

A couple months ago I paid $4 a pound for a 100# of Service Center, that amount would have been $2.75 a year or so ago. Definitely seeing a lot more than 8% inflation on shop supplies. I think the only thing that hasn't went sky high is the electric bill.

Just got quoted $2.56/lb for 1018. A year ago, the same material was around $1.20/lb.

The 1018 and 12L14 hasn't been bad here $1.50 a pound, but that is because they have stock on hand from long ago, going to get some 1018 ordered tomorrow, we shall see. Need brass also.

The 1018 and 12L14 hasn't been bad here $1.50 a pound, but that is because they have stock on hand from long ago, going to get some 1018 ordered tomorrow, we shall see. Need brass also.

I have only been buying Stainless lately. Got a customer supplying 1215 LCS and 2024 AL.

I had my rep from Penn Steel stop in last week and he said 41L40 was about to go through the roof. Leaded steels are going up due to the lead being imported. 1215 is the new replacement for 12L14.

Stock is getting easier to get, but it has only gone up in price.

I did see not too long ago that some parts I make out of different materials were the same price per part for material. Per LB pricing was different but AL and 303 SS ended up being the same on a per part basis. That I was shocked to hear.

I have only been buying Stainless lately. Got a customer supplying 1215 LCS and 2024 AL.

I had my rep from Penn Steel stop in last week and he said 41L40 was about to go through the roof. Leaded steels are going up due to the lead being imported. 1215 is the new replacement for 12L14.

Stock is getting easier to get, but it has only gone up in price.

I did see not too long ago that some parts I make out of different materials were the same price per part for material. Per LB pricing was different but AL and 303 SS ended up being the same on a per part basis. That I was shocked to hear.

I haven't ran any 1215 in ages, if my memory is correct I like 12L14 better. I haven't bought any 300 series stainless from the local metal yard in ages. Most of the stainless I buy is small diameter to make medical parts, so I just get it from McMaster or Online. The local yard doesn't treat the small diameter stuff very well and with small pricey parts who cares about saving a couple bucks on material. I think the last time I got any 303 from the local yard 100# was like $2.50 a pound. I bet that is $4 and up now.

Hovering in the low $3/lb 'round these parts......................Last week was 10k lbs at $3.10/lb.............not sure what next week will be......................changes so fast.

Looked at the numbers and we bought over 40K pounds of 6061 flat and round stock last year. Started last year with an average of $2.05 a pound and the Kaiser that came in last week was $3.85 a pound, and this is from our cheaper distributor. Unfortunately this is spread over at least 11 different sizes, and I really don't want to sit on a 4K pound mill run for a year because I don't have room to store it. What is everyone else seeing now?

The mill run won't help you right now.

I just got an update from our extruder, and they are at $3.65/# for that going out the door currently, and a backlog of 62 weeks.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I expect that's "conflict" profiteering, but I do expect to see prices in the $4-5/lb range for a while. If things truly go to shit it could get worse.

I think things are going to get much worse. It seems some of the sanctions against the USSR are against wealthy businessmen. One of the targets is the guy who controls a lot of their aluminum production. I see that as doing nothing but harm.

I think things are going to get much worse. It seems some of the sanctions against the USSR are against wealthy businessmen. One of the targets is the guy who controls a lot of their aluminum production. I see that as doing nothing but harm.

"China opposed unilateral financial sanctions and won’t participate in such sanctions imposed by Western nations on Russia, Guo Shuqing, the head of China’s banking and insurance regulator, said Wednesday."

Should give China an advantage in securing material needed for manufacturing from Russia.

China Won’t Take Part in Western Financial Sanctions on Russia: Bank Regulator Chief

Back