What's new
What's new

one off router bit

drsorey

Plastic
I have done quite a bit of woodworking in the past but mostly now days mostly metal. I have a friend who needs a piece of molding with 5 1/4 inch beads on the edge. I have shaper bits that are close, but no router bits. I really don't like using a shaper for such small parts freehand. I have a Southbend 10" lathe and a mill drill.
As I see it I have 2 choices. Make a scratch stock and hand scrape the beads. I have done this in past and haven't had much luck with it. If I make a 1/2 shank bit from drill rod and hand file to the "as close as I can get it" profile, is the balance of the bit going to matter at the speed of a Router?

Early fire starters were simply rubbing something dull on a piece of wood long enough for the friction to create fire, a 12k router should get it done pretty quick, it will need to be a sharp tool with relief behind the cutting edges

I make a lot of router and shaper bits.

Are you going to use one round, 5X?
Or do you want to make 5 reeds in one pass?
You need presumably 1-1/4" minimum height, and "more than" 3/4" diameter to fit the profile you described.
Practically, probably 1-1/2" at least 1-1/2" OD .

At that point, there are 2 choices in HSS:
1.) silver solder a flat piece of 3/32 or 1/8" HSS into a slot in a 1/2" shank. This does work, though the rake is negative. So long as you put adequate relief and hone sharp. It is a good bit for profiling because it almost won't tear out, with the neg rake. It will dull faster (fewer lineal ft of production) than a bit with hook. But i actually made a french head router bit to use such flat steel bits, for times when tear-out can't be tolerated or risked. Such as contour routing all around a hardwood complex shape, the grain changes ever few inchs going with, across, and then against the grain and reverse again.
2) what most people/shops do is simply buy a router blank of suitable size, and grind that to shape.

If you were not so averse to the shaper, the simplest process is to grind one wing to full profile, and put balance slugs in the others. Use a stock feeder for consistancy.

A Stanley 45 works fairly well for beads, if the grain is mild.

What is your problem with scratch stocks? That's about the only tool that will work with a filed profile.

smt

Mr. Thomas,
Thanks for your reply. I should have given more information in the original post. The project is the repair to a antique wall clock. One of the support brackets is damaged. It is only 6" long and 4" wide and is curved. I have shaper cutter that is close, but not exact.
I am retired and time is not an issue. I enjoy using the lathe and would like to try this first and leave the scratch stock as a last resort.
I am interested in the geometry of the cutter. The steel Shaper bit has a very positive cutting angle (14 degrees). If I used a less positive cutting angle ( 4 to 5 degrees), I would have less tear out and would be easier to make. The length of the cut would only be a couple of feet.
I had planned to have a cutter dia of slightly over 3/4". Using a form tool, the beads would made before the 3 wings were cut with the mill and dividing head. The only filing would be the slight relief behind the cutting edge. The balance of the cutter is my main concern.
If it works, well you will get pictures in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't, well.........

I had planned to have a cutter dia of slightly over 3/4". Using a form tool, the beads would made before the 3 wings were cut with the mill and dividing head. The only filing would be the slight relief behind the cutting edge. The balance of the cutter is my main concern.
If it works, well you will get pictures in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't, well.........

This should work ok.
The smaller the radius, the larger the clearance angles, is partly why i prefer a bit more diameter.
Make it out of O-1 drill rod and you can harden it in a bucket of oil, and temper it in the kitchen oven when the wife is away. Don't harden a tool and run it without tempering, even if the temper is such that it barely draws the metal. It still makes the steel tougher and removes stresses that could cause the un-tempered tool to break.

Since this is a one-time use tool, you could create side clearance in the profile, by shaping the tooth edge from the back, with a taper pin or repairman's reamer. OTOH, for an original antique, no doubt the form was hand filed. Turn your round with the beads, cut the flutes on the front to create neutral to very barely pos rake, then cut the backs to thin the wings for less mass, and so the filing for relief is easier. Don't file quite to the lips.

Actually, if i was making it, i would probably cut the flutes, and then cut the profile with a 1/4" end mill, from the back. on a somewhat "extreme" clearance angle. Since the profile is round, this will give enough radial and axial clearance; though the profile will minutely become and oval, rather than perfect round. If you can even see it, this can be adjusted by honing lightly, after the tool is hardened. OTOH, we both probably know that by the time a tool is complete, a 1/4" EM might have completed a slightly larger than 1/4" profile, so you have to figure that if the original is smaller. I have enough re-sharps here to sort for (or make) one undersize.

Harden & temper the tool. then use hard india medium round, cone, or pear shape slips to hone to the edge from the back, making sure to maintain the clearance and not over-dub the edge.

It will cut fine, and if you hone it every time before use, it will cut quire a bit of antique feature mold before you pass on and someone at your estate sale has to figure out what that old genius toolmaker made it for. :)

If you have trouble making the first one, an easier route is to just make a cutter for one flute at a time and keep adjusting your router table, using a couple pieces of scrap to compare location/height of succeeding grooves.

smt

Last edited:
Mr. Thomas,
Thanks for your reply. I should have given more information in the original post. The project is the repair to a antique wall clock. One of the support brackets is damaged. It is only 6" long and 4" wide and is curved. I have shaper cutter that is close, but not exact.
I am retired and time is not an issue. I enjoy using the lathe and would like to try this first and leave the scratch stock as a last resort.
I am interested in the geometry of the cutter. The steel Shaper bit has a very positive cutting angle (14 degrees). If I used a less positive cutting angle ( 4 to 5 degrees), I would have less tear out and would be easier to make. The length of the cut would only be a couple of feet.
For a piece that small, use your cutter to get close and then finish with hand tools like chisels and sand paper.

Bob
WB8NQW

For those that are curious, I hope the attachments show a photo of what I have to repair. It belonged to a friend who had clock damaged in fire. It has little dollar value, but a lot of sentimental value.
I have a attached a PDF also of the planned cutter. A shaper bit I have that is similar doesn't have any relief in the profile. I plan to relief the backside of the coves slightly.
Mr. Thomas.. I will take your advice and give it heat treatment the best I can. Blcksmth.. I sure there will be quite a large amount of sanding. I really have very poor carving skills.

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_122744.jpg
    IMG_20220705_122744.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 29
  • router bit.pdf
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
I have the perfect router bit for that. Yard sale find. .5 shank and slotted just enough to slip a piece of hack saw blade through. Setscrew on end to retain it, make a notch in the "blade" so it cannot slip out. 2 wing cutter and only one will give the finish cut, other side ground to profile but ya never know which side is giving the finish cut. Put some plywood pieces in your apron pockets to protect yer nuts.

Back