What's new
What's new

One piece 63mm face mill

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
Does anyone know anything about one piece face mills?

Usually face mills are fitted into FMB22/etc. arbor, but this one I have here is completely one piece, meaning the entire face mill is one piece of metal including the BT40 arbor, not a separate arbor like most I have seen on the market.

IMG_20210907_204556.jpgIMG_20210907_204604.jpg

I can't find anything on this on google, like what advantage does it have other than no possibility of anything other than insert or pull stud coming off... This particular one the screw for the insert has broken inside the threaded hole, and this one has been repaired, but there is another one that I have not been able to repair (so far broken 3 end mills, 2 drill bits, and a tap trying to fix it). This one does not use APMT 1135 insert, but rather an insert that looks exactly like APMT1135 but slightly smaller... APMT1135 will fit but in a weird and possibly unsafe way...

Someone told me this type of face mill is quite a bit more expensive than the normal kind (ones that must be fitted into an arbor).

Yes I know runout is definitely a consideration but it's not like face mill is used for precise milling... it's just used for rough material removal (and they can remove a LOT of material even in a manual mill)

Do you have a picture from the top of it?

I can assure you it's one piece. The top has a center drilled mark, nothing else.

The lack of a driving block on the arbor (apart from the slot for the BT40 driving block) should clue you in on that.

However I guess unless you're taking very heavy cuts in steel, I don't see the need for it. The guy who uses this only mills aluminum. Actually, the work holding would become a bigger limitation than the spindle..

I can assure you it's one piece. The top has a center drilled mark, nothing else.

The lack of a driving block on the arbor (apart from the slot for the BT40 driving block) should clue you in on that.

However I guess unless you're taking very heavy cuts in steel, I don't see the need for it. The guy who uses this only mills aluminum. Actually, the work holding would become a bigger limitation than the spindle..

Wasn't doubting you, I was curious to see the top of it. We had Iscar cutters with that style insert. They didn't farewell either.

Actually I guess this comes to the limitation of this particular face mill... if the cut is too heavy, like for example a mishap, the screw holding the insert can break off. That is what happened to this face mill.

Usually face mill for very heavy cuts in steel is designed differently..

Back