What's new
What's new

Ongoing unrest in Russia

I guess an argument ( in legal terms ) can be made for such instances where vital national interests dictate censorship or strict information control.
If however such actions are taken for the sole purpose of maintaining the existence of a ruling political party or forced one sided narrative, then ...
In case of Gregor's example, I strongly disagree with a carte blanche suppression of specific news outlets in the UK strictly for content.
At the same time though, the same actions inside Ukraine in an ongoing war situation which they did not start is perfectly OK and I think even necessary.
Suppressing the truth and slanting reality never ends well, whatever the cause.

Regards Tyrone

Putin is pushing to occupy as much territory as possible for when Trump becomes President.

The Russians are doing exactly what they said they were going to do - create a buffer zone around, and push UAF back out of missile range of, Belgorod.

The territory they've taken in the north forms a pretty neat radius around Belgorod, if you bother to look.

The Russians are doing exactly what they said they were going to do - create a buffer zone around, and push UAF back out of missile range of, Belgorod.

The territory they've taken in the north forms a pretty neat radius around Belgorod, if you bother to look.
You know, I do not understand the logic behind all that "buffer zone" thing...
Prior to 2022, what do you think the chances were for a missile attack on Belgorod?
Similarly, you think other nations should also confiscate land from their neighbors and call it a buffer zone?
Hell, the US should take a 20 or so mile strip of Mexico, fill it with copious amounts of landmines and call it migrant buffer zone.

You know, I do not understand the logic behind all that "buffer zone" thing...
Prior to 2022, what do you think the chances were for a missile attack on Belgorod?
Similarly, you think other nations should also confiscate land from their neighbors and call it a buffer zone?
Hell, the US should take a 20 or so mile strip of Mexico, fill it with copious amounts of landmines and call it migrant buffer zone.
Buffer Zone = Demilitarized Zone?
Look it up...lots of current examples.

Name one in proper context please.
If the "context" is to provide a deterence from attack then most likeliy the DMZ between South and North Korea is a good example.
Wide enough to make it tough to dig tunnels.
Also covered at one time with land mines and anti-tank obstacles...all things that are currently used in Ukraine by both sides. Cross border raids. Might even give one side or the other time to respond to a slow flying explosive filled civilian plane. Let your imagination run wild.
Seoul, the captiol is only 35 miles from the DMZ so has little time to react to an attack.
Used to be about massed artillery from the North, but now-a-days with missiles and drones 35 miles don't mean shit. Seoul is gonna be in a world of hurt is the North ever goes nutz.
Anyway---there are other examples, but if I'm off base....sorry.

If the "context" is to provide a deterence from attack then most likeliy the DMZ between South and North Korea is a good example.
Wrong context.
The DMZ in Korea was the result of an agreement to stop an active war.
In context example I am looking for is where one nation unilaterally forces another to demilitarize it's own borders simply for the sake of " I don't want to have to worry about your weapons".

Putin said that Russia needs a buffer zone in his speech on the first day of the invasion. He said that was the entire point.

But, he was describing a zone encompassing the entirety of Ukraine. Since then, other Russian officials have brought up Moldova as well. It's uncomfortable to believe that the Russians will be pleased if they turn the second-largest country in Europe into nothing but mud, razor wire, and landmines. So, it's emotionally easier for us to hope that they mean just a few kilometers around Belgorod.

The Russians were clear about this at the start, but are being deliberately vague now. They realized that we don't want it to be true and that maybe we'll go along if they break it to us slowly.

He is only 62. He was only 3 when that came out, so I doubt he remembers it. He could have covered this song by Sun Ra, though- although its hard to beat Yo Lo Tengo.
This song came out 9-10 months before I was born and I have probable played it over 1000 times and that is not an exaggeration. unfortunately :ROFLMAO:

Putin is getting very cocky ,now Trump seems a shoe in for POTUS......reported he also has an extensive claim over Baltic Sea waters ,and a 200km Buffer Zone between Russia and the Baltics ,including a security corridor to Kallinin grad.........needless to say ,the buffer zone will not be in Russian territory ............Effectively splitting NATO in two.

Putin is getting very cocky ,now Trump seems a shoe in for POTUS......reported he also has an extensive claim over Baltic Sea waters ,and a 200km Buffer Zone between Russia and the Baltics ,including a security corridor to Kallinin grad.........needless to say ,the buffer zone will not be in Russian territory ............Effectively splitting NATO in two.
Lotsa saber-rattling and shit talking coming from world "leaders".
“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” (Mike Tyson)
I guess we just got to wait for the main show to begin.

.​

Trump will not win the election.
Putin?
Who’s to say.
France now Poland are putting down some hard talk.
Poland was ravaged by the Soviet invasion of 1939.
It will not repeat that experience given any choice.

Back