What's new
What's new

Opinions on a Gorton 375-2 tool grinder

texasgeartrain

Titanium
Been out of town for a couple weeks, so harder for me to post pics.

Looking at a Gorton 375 tool grinder. Uses 4NS collets, max diameter 5/8" I believe. So sort of a smaller tool grinder.

But a smaller foot print too, which could help me with limited space.

I was thinking for smaller end mills and maybe as a drill sharpener.

Any thoughts or opinions on these ?

You can see it and some specs on pages 20-21:
George Gorton Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - Gorton Acceeories - Cutters and Grinders - Catalog 1317-E | VintageMachinery.org

Some mention in here with other accessories, but not too much:
George Gorton Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - Gorton Small Tools & Accessories Form 2720-G | VintageMachinery.org

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
They are fairly stout for what they are, probably okay for a faceted drill grind, might be tough to do anything else. Won't grind periphery of endmills, only the ends. I have a baby version of one of these for grinding engraving tools. Even smaller than the Deckel. I much prefer the Monoset, :D

But it's probably 2-3x the footprint and a good bit more in cost.

AD Design

Stainless
I have the Gorton 375, got it real cheap from a shop closing. It does a decent job of re-grind per the limitations eKretz mentioned with a minimum of setup time. It has all the collets and heads but none of the extra accessories (fingers, etc.) so I don't really know what it's capable of beyond basic sharpening or shank diameter reduction for clearance. If it does what you want it to and the price is right then it's a good buy. If you need periphery re-sharp or gashing of the flutes then there are likely better (more expensive) choices. It's been out of production for a long time and wear should be expected. I use mine a lot but don't expect a great deal of accuracy from it. Would like to see photos if you're up for it.

texasgeartrain

Titanium
I did indeed buy it, and have it loaded on my truck. Im working out out of town in NY atm, and wanted to get an inexpensive machine while i was up here, and no shipping :D. So that worked out. Prices and options are not as good in TX.

What a nice machine. This may be perfect for me, in both floor space and use. Mostly I can use it for sharpening end mills. And it is pretty stout and heavy for a small machine.

I post pics from my pc, and should be back home for the weekend. So I'll get some stuff posted then.