What's new
What's new

ot 1940 monarch promo film

1yesca

Stainless
lets try it this a way 1940 monarch promo film

Monarch Machine Tool Company - THE TURNING POINT - 1940s Promotional 16mm Film - YouTube

this is one of about 50 machine shop films that i just gave to a pea hicks . i had them in storage for about 25 years .they came

from san diego city collage machine shop. after they were copied over to vhs tapes .the institutor was going to dump them in the

trash so i gave them a home and after seeing a program on kpbs about a guy that saves and archives old film i gave them to him

and here we are . so a big thanks goes out to pea hicks for taking these films and giving them a new life out there so we can

enjoy them.

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
eKretz said:
Thanks for saving those. Really neat to watch. It's amazing to see the sheer amount of time they must have spent on R&D and quality control. I'm sure the modern day import lathe makers are doing the same... :D

Heh, transported myself over here. ;) Gotta watch those titles.

1yesca

Stainless
Cool, I look forward to it. Were all the ones you found about Monarch?

no they were on about any thing you would want to know about working in a machine shop and machine set up some of the films were south

bend , starrett. some went back to ww2 and showed woman operating the machines war time . i hope that pea hicks get them out there.

i tried to find a good home for these films i contacted mopa , the U S L O C sad thing is i got no reply's so thank god for pea hicks

the only thing he ask me was when and were can i pick them up and to have one of them on you tube with in two days of getting them wow

here is the link for that archive Prelinger Archives : Free Movies : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

Flail

Cast Iron
That was interesting to see the turret post in use. I have one sitting on my shop floor for the past ten years that I have been stepping over. I either need to find a use for it or scrap,it.

boslab

Titanium
Thanks for the rescue, what I think is a very important piece of information, I liked the lab bit, stuff I’ve actually done in a steel plant, thin layer ( or paper as is the case) chromatography for nickel ( and cobalt if I remember), titrations for carbon in iron, must have been before the combustion analysis using the ubiquitous LECO combustion analyser, I noticed there was no optical emission spectrometers, the old ones produce a 10 inch long glass plate with the absorption lines on, that would be about that time but oddly even though it’s old by our standards it was cutting edge back then, the film was real, the guys hands told a story all of their own, even the drawing office, actual slide rule, pencil and pen, no computer in sight yet with all the modern stuff we have I doubt we could build anything like a 10EE Today, I’ve used one once as it was all DSG and Colchester over here (the world turns on Colchester was their catchphrase, there’s a film of the Colchester factory on YouTube, it wasn’t a patch on monarchs factory, but they both surprisingly still exist, amazing in itself)
I’m waiting to see the next one, much better than Star Wars imho
Mark

texasgeartrain

Titanium
no they were on about any thing you would want to know about working in a machine shop and machine set up some of the films were south

bend , starrett. some went back to ww2 and showed woman operating the machines war time . i hope that pea hicks get them out there.

i tried to find a good home for these films i contacted mopa , the U S L O C sad thing is i got no reply's so thank god for pea hicks

the only thing he ask me was when and were can i pick them up and to have one of them on you tube with in two days of getting them wow

here is the link for that archive Prelinger Archives : Free Movies : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

That link has some real real interesting vintage stuff :D. :cheers:

52 Ford

Stainless
That was interesting to see the turret post in use. I have one sitting on my shop floor for the past ten years that I have been stepping over. I either need to find a use for it or scrap,it.
Not trying to tell you want to do, but personally, I would put it up for sale (or give it away?) Instead of scrapping old iron. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Lewie

Cast Iron
I had a reply typed up to that with some information on the electronics equipment shown and when I went to post it found the thread locked. Probably the last time I'll bother to do that. :-(
...lewie...

rcoope

Stainless
What a great film. Based on some of the information here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/monarch-History.pdf I wonder if this film was actually more like 1952. This history mentions that both shot blasting and the water wash spray booths were installed in a major renovation and reorganization at that time.

I can't find it on YouTube but somewhere there is a cartoon where Wile e Coyote explains how they film his attempts to catch Road Runner. He talks about everything being done with "exacting precision" in pretty much the same accent as the narrator here. It's like a parody of this type of industrial film. Thanks to the OP and Pea Hix for getting this out so we can enjoy the real thing!

1yesca

Stainless
What a great film. Based on some of the information here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/monarch-History.pdf I wonder if this film was actually more like 1952. This history mentions that both shot blasting and the water wash spray booths were installed in a major renovation and reorganization at that time.

I can't find it on YouTube but somewhere there is a cartoon where Wile e Coyote explains how they film his attempts to catch Road Runner. He talks about everything being done with "exacting precision" in pretty much the same accent as the narrator here. It's like a parody of this type of industrial film. Thanks to the OP and Pea Hix for getting this out so we can enjoy the real thing!

lets hope that pea post some more of the films on you tube for are enjoyment . i have seen most of them but that was over 40 years ago

and i can honestly tell you i don't remember this one .the ones i recall are the single op ones like heat treating , gang milling ,

cutting a dove tail , running a shaper and the like but the one pea posted resonates with the viewers.

crossthread

Titanium
Thanks very much for posting that. I love my Monarch and found it very interesting to see how the old girl was made. One thing I saw at 5:50 and 8:40 was a set of bellows for blowing stuff off. Very interesting. At first I thought it was to provide oil free air in that laboratory setting but later saw it in a polishing process so I guess that's what they typically used. Very clever and cost effective.

Bill D

Diamond
When these were made who was supposed to watch these films, high school shop students? maybe show at a trade show. I doubt the movie theaters used them as filler.
Bill D