What's new
What's new

OT: 2014-2018 GM trucks....rusty frames

Why aren't they made from electrogalvanized stock, the same way that cars are?

It won't stick thru forming, and also it works by "washing off" so there is a time limit. Welded repairs are pretty much out.

Why not just use Corten ?

You've worked on Chryslers right? I was just riding in my sister-in-law's Chrysler minivan. I think it's a year old. All the weather stipping for the sliding doors is already falling off. The rear AC doesn't work. She's already threatening to trade it.

Dude that stuff is trivial compared to GM's having major drivetrains failures at sub 100k miles ON TOP of also having all those same terrible build quality issues. Its a total joke. I don't have enough time in the day to type out all my 2012+ GM product horror stories.

Dude that stuff is trivial compared to GM's having major drivetrains failures at sub 100k miles ON TOP of also having all those same terrible build quality issues. Its a total joke. I don't have enough time in the day to type out all my 2012+ GM product horror stories.

We own a 2010 Camaro. What a pile of garbage! I hate that car.
The interior is junk. I have replaced no less than 4 panels that broke for no reason. One of them 3 times (the beauty panel on the side of the drivers seat).
The dash has a giant crack in it (and this car has been parked inside every day since new).
I've replaced lower-control arms twice. And, the front end absolutely will not stay in alignment.
It eats tires (front and rear). And, there is an occasional huge "CLUNK/CLANK" sound in the front end somewhere I can not figure out.
It eats rear tail-light bulbs.
Within a couple weeks of owning it, I had to go rescue the wife off the freeway. The rear differential literally fell out.
It is the noisiest "new" car I have ever ridden in. The road noise is atrocious.
It currently needs a throttle-body (IAC is shot). The oil filter is like a bad joke.
All this in under 60k miles.
If it wasn't paid for, it would be history.

This is obviously the wifes whip. She also has her '04 F150.
By comparison, the Ford has needed a passenger side front window regulator. A new gasket on the oil-filter adapter.
Tires/brakes/oil-changes.
And, uhh, yea, in 100k miles, that is all I have had to do to that truck.
I'm not a Ford guy. But, that truck has been dead reliable. And, with twice the mileage the Camaro has, seems new by comparison.
The cam phasers are starting to tick though. And, one day I need to break down and tackle the dreaded Triton spark-plugs.

The new Mustang is dope... Ford really really gives a shit about the Truck line and the Mustang. The new new irs generation Mustang really is a hoot though and they did something nobody does, they made it smaller and lighter.

The new Mustang is dope... Ford really really gives a shit about the Truck line and the Mustang. The new new irs generation Mustang really is a hoot though and they did something nobody does, they made it smaller and lighter.

Ohh, I don't know. Part of the cheap feeling of that POS Camaro can be attributed to its light weight. It doesn't weigh shit.
I guess that is why, even with only a V-6 it kinda hauls ass.
Even still, if a teenager owned that thing, it would probably hit the scrap yard, before the warranty ran out. Junk.

I must just have good luck with GM cars because we have several in my family and they're all pretty reliable for the most part. They have their issues, like any car does, but overall we don't have to do work to them that often. Especially my mom's 2012 GMC Acadia, I can't even think of the last time that thing had any issues. As for my 2006 impala, I've had it for 2 years and not had to have anything major done to it (although admittedly it will need some transmission work soon as it shifts hard when driven hard), same for my dad's 2011 impala. However I do know a lot of people who say the same bad things about GM enough to steer me away from a new GM vehicle (most likely) in the foreseeable future unless I'm in the position to get a corvette (I love those cars, reliable or not).

Back